[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GE Radio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
Found this old radio today for $1 and got it working with just a battery

I have some knowledge with electronics is there anything I should customize on this to upgrade it? It doesn't have a attena so that would be the first place to start?

Any ideas? Thank you.
>>
>>950834
Yeah i think that kind just uses a standard telescoping antenna. Not sure what sort of upgrades you have in mind tho.

Yuo should open it up for us, I love seeing those old TO105 flying saucer transistors
>>
>>950837
I honestly expected it to be more complex, but it seems fairly simple in the circuit. And it's in not to bad of a condition.
>>
>>950837
>>950839
Sorry about that resolution
>>
>>950839
Oh yeah, radios are some of the most simple things to build that are more than just a blinking led. I wonder how old that is.
>>
File: shit.png (1 MB, 639x1136) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
1 MB, 639x1136
>>950843
kek
>>
>>950847
Sorry, what is that?
>>
>>950845
I did some research and found this: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_el_7_2500_b72500.html

It says roughly 1980
>>
>>950834
It's based on old transistor radio design from the 60s. Those were revolutionary at the time. Thus one has an IC but betting it's just a transistor package.

Not much to do here other than play them. They make good emergency radios.
>>
>>950848
If i'm seeing that correctly it's a really shitty attempt to connect the ground of those two variable inductors. probably one was grounded and then after production had started they found that the other was too noisy, so rather than send a new pcb design to the factory (which would cost more $) they just soldered that little metal jumper between them.
>>
>>950849
Aw, TO-105s phased out in the 70s.
>>
There we go.
>>
>>950850
That's neat, I'll probably just use it as a work radio and emergency radio

Thanks anon
>>
You can spend some time rewinding the tuner coil and get it to recive shorwave radio
It's a pretty good trick and you might hear some funky freaky shit in the shortwave band
>>
>>950860
My coworker has this same radio, he used on the jobsite. Well untill it took too many "accidental" falls. 3 years of god awful country music finally came to end.
>>
>>950853

I did this on the horns of my car. The bracket of the older horn had deteriorated enough that it was just held in there loosely by the bolt. While it wouldnt fall it wasn't enough of a connection to carry current. So I just used some wire I had lying around to bridge the 2 mounts.

If you look at my car from straight ahead you can see a 3.0mm green and yellow ground wire running just infront of the radiator.
>>
>>951170
Haha no fear anon, mine will only play rock. Can't stand when country plays.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.