[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know much about radios. I have a business and want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: P25_hand-held_radios.jpg (935 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
P25_hand-held_radios.jpg
935 KB, 1600x1067
I don't know much about radios. I have a business and want to hire a security guard. I need radio transmission up to 50 miles. What do you suggest I buy? Flat land, no mountains.
>>
>>950832
50 miles? Look at Sprint or AT&T phones with a PTT (Push To Talk) function.

Handhelds aren't going to get you a 50 mile range without base stations and/or repeaters. So use the cellular network.
>>
>>950833
Can you use those in cars? Two will have patrol cars. Holy fuck they still have push to talk? I was thinking something more professional
>>
>>950833
Is there a way to use a similar band as the police?
>>
You could use GMRS radios, you have to pay for a license (last I checked) but its a one time fee and you can operate your own repeaters and they have car mount style units with decent range. Not sure if you can get that 50 miles you're hoping for.

Next step up from gmrs radios is licensing a frequency from the fcc but radio equipment for that gets pricey.
>>
>>950833
Probably the best option. The highest quality cb radio or walkie struggles with anything over 36 miles in the best conditions.
>>
>>950832
Hello, I work with two-way radios for a living. I recommend either a Kenwood or Tait radio. Taits are a bit more pricey, but you get what you pay for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml83E2ajCcM&list=PLEj-HwZj5SM-jthg1T4jwrcYpLEe5ISO8

Kenwoods are cheaper and nearly as durable

Every new motorolas is a sack of shit. I warned you anon.

In Canada? Great, go to a radio shop and get set up.

In the States? You are probably screwed. See in Canada we are allowed to use VHF frequencies with wideband and get great coverage.
In the States you may get UHF frequency narrowbanded and get shit coverage.

Either way, to go that distance you will need to use a repeater.
Ask at the local radio shops for one that runs a repeater in your area, and how much air time is on it. This shouldn't run you more then 50 dollars a month.

Enjoy instant reliable communications.
>>
>>950844
Not legally. Police and other first responders use the 800mhz band which is restricted from public use by the FCC (in USA ofc).
>>
>>950832
Go to your local commercial radio company.
>>
>>950931
>I work with two-way radios for a living.

Kind of off topic but how did you get into this?
>>
File: WhiteStarSystemOverview.png (208 KB, 1968x873) Image search: [Google]
WhiteStarSystemOverview.png
208 KB, 1968x873
>>950938
Love amateur radio as a hobby. Loose my main job (Zellers closed down). Go in to radio shop to buy some coax. Owner is impressed. Anon, you're looking for a job? You should drop off a resume.

>Drop off my resume
>Get hired
>Ok anon, sweep the floors.
>Do all sorts of cleaning, LaughingSecretary.jpg, this is boring, I feel useless,
>Walk in to the back tech room, start fixing radio equipment.
>Alright anon, you are now full time installer
>Do installs, repairs, and sales.

It's been 4 years now. No formal training. I taught myself how to do reliable repairs and think logically. I.E. Start at the power supply and work each block down to the component level.
>>
Just hire a guard company to guard your stuff. Then it will be done professionally and probably cheaper.
>>
a baofeng
>>
Outsource, do not hassle with hiring guard. If guard quits or dies, you have a security gap. If he does something bad, you may be liable.

Outsource and ask a lawyer if you think I'm kidding.
>>
Could anybody enlighten me on radio antennas. How they work from a physics point of view.
>>
Security guard here.
Just subcontract, it'll end up being cheaper in the long run.
>>
>>951802
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=arrl+antenna+handbook+pdf
>>
>>950964
>>951803

If you are in the first world where insurance payout is easier I would agree with this.

Generally security companies have some level of insurance where if some shit was stolen and you had a competent level of security the insurance will pay out.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.