[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/, a badly beaten Asus eeePC 904HD netbook has recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: eeepc904.jpg (89 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
eeepc904.jpg
89 KB, 1024x768
Hi /diy/,
a badly beaten Asus eeePC 904HD netbook has recently got in my hands. It has ceased functioning after ~5 years of working in hands that didn't care about computers due to having some liquid (probably water) spilt on it.
However, it still seemed to boot up after being damaged (just asked to set settings in BIOS), but I disassembled it and used 90% isopropyl alcohol on it. Now it's dead. What did I do wrong? Can soaking it in IPA90% help?

inb4 sell for scrap; noone would buy that & I'm thinking of keeping that LCD screen. Could I hack it to be used with something else than this netbook?

Pic related, it's the motherboard.
>>
http://www.computerrepairtips.net/how-to-reflow-a-laptop-motherboard/

you're welcome
>>
>>950564
>you're welcome
and you're welcome to delete your shitpost
>>
>>950562
90% is not 100% and maybe some liquid is still trapped underneath the bga chips
or the soak you did moved the inflicting minerals/debris to an even worse place

clean again using something "cleaner" like destiled water (this is super cheap, just ask for unscented steam iron water or acid battery water)
>>
Hi guys,
I managed to get this more or less working by soaking it with more 90% isopropyl alcohol. The HDD's not working for some reason - maybe the HDD's dead or there's some problem with powering the HDD. I'll try checking that out once I get my hands on another HDD.

Now there's another question - the keyboard is fucking disgusting and filthy. As far as I know it's just membrane, and keys, so... could I wash it in water? There's nothing to break AFAIK
>>
>>950682
wipe it with the same isopropanol you already have, it will remove the "layer of previous owner" from it
then rinse with a lot of tap water to get the residual food and all other fungus humongous debris out of there
and leave to dry out or use your gf hairblower aparatus to dry asap

i have washed keyboards in water, but water does not remove grease and other nasty that is insoluble in water
you could alternatively use regular hand soap too, it works good since the bulk of dirt is from hand contact anyway

>>950679
most of clinical grade alcohol over the 90% range is already with distilled water, the process of distillation will not work if say, tap water is use, so no point in using extra water, also, 90% alcohol evaporates withing seconds on contacts so there is (my personal guarantee) no residual liquid there at all
>>
>>950562
I don't see any shitty electrolytic caps, so take that battery off and heat it in the oven at 180^o F for a few hours.
>>
>>950800
Thanks, I cleaned the whole keyboard by spraying it with water. That was a pain, ugh. Now I'll just wait for it to dry.

>>950823
That's unfortunately a picture I took from the internet, my board looks far worse.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.