[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3-Phase ac motor project
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_2655.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2655.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Hey /DIY/

Found 6 3-phase AC motors configured in Y mode. They are 530W and have a 1400Rpm rating.

What should i build with them? Also got an Omron VFD and loads of switched and what not. Just got no clue as to what i should build :P

Open to any ideas and i will post build updates if a good idea passes by.

(Yes i know thers only 5 in the pic, the last is hooked up to the VFD for testing)
>>
roller coaster
>>
>>950370
I could but i dont have enough steel or a place to have it :S
>>
File: a2a.png (103 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
a2a.png
103 KB, 500x269
>>950354
6x6 ATV that hauls batteries around

drill voids into the rotors so they're imbalanced
saw off shaft stub
rig to cell phone
>>
>>950377
Hmm, This might actually be something i could do. That or more of a go-cart style thing. 3180W gocart Roughly 4.2Hp and loads of torque.

Also know a guy that works as a welder so the frame should be easy to build.

Thanks ;)

Keep throwing ideas :) can't have to many options for this build
>>
>>950354
because we aren't allowed to post about sex toys... build a can crusher with one.
>>
Wind Turbines?

AWD Go kart with 3 phase forklift controller and a fuck load of cheap RC lipo's?

Mini hydro operation if you got a water source nearby lel.

Depends on your budget too...
>>
hexacopter
>>
>>950354
super fucking machine
>>
>>950418
Wind turbine! That would be seriously awesome. Or bicycle-based phone-charger or coffee maker.
>You want a cup of coffee?
<Yeah, sure.
>Cool, then pedal.
>>
File: shop 006.jpg (97 KB, 963x642) Image search: [Google]
shop 006.jpg
97 KB, 963x642
belt grinder
>>
>>950384
Thought about that but we get paid to "turn" cans in like $0.50 per can ish so that would be a bit of a loss.

>>950418
Yea, Could make a waterturbine at my cabin. got a fairly large waterfall there so if i could make a Tube to concentrate the water to the turbine.

>>950427
Gears, Batteries, VFD's, Etc would weigh to much for it to be able to fly.

>>950497
Lel

>pedal...

Could do it for emergency charging stuff. Would probably end up making a mini generator with a diesel/gasoline.

>>951221
Yeah this would be fairly easy to make aswell as very practical. I have also though about making a Router. But i have been playing with the thought of a lathe for metal work.

I'm unsure of how to make a lathe and the tolerances would probably have to be tight so its probably a no-go for lathe building... if anybodys got experience with lathes an imput would be appriciated ;)
>>
Forget making machine tools unless you already have machine tools in which case you don't need to make machine tools because you can much more usefully expand the capabilities of your machine tools by making accesories for them instead, of which there are MANY examples online.

Buffers are a common use for extra motors, and you can cheaply buy threaded mandrels which fit over common motor shafts.

The aforementioned belt grinder is a Very Good idea. Make it take a range of sanding belts so you can exploit deals at local estate and liquidation sales. Auctionzip and Craigslist are my friends....

You could probably sell a good belt grinder easily. They are awesome for knifemaking, tool grinding and utility work. Many plans and examples online. Visit machinist sites.
>>
>>951221
power's a bit low for a belt grinder - you want about 2Kw at least, or the belt will bog down, especially at lower speeds.
>>
>>951816

u wot?

All but the biggest belt grinders are under like 1-1/4HP. Most are between 3/4 and 1HP. The smaller ones are happy with 1/3. A 530W motor will be more than sufficient for moderate grinding tasks.

The fuck are you getting nearly 3HP as a MINIMUM? Work in a shop or something and think the average person needs the kind of material removal rate a $1,000+ industrial grinder offers?
>>
>>951818
>and think the average person needs the kind of material removal rate a $1,000+ industrial grinder offers?

Given that my industrial grinder, a KMG clone only with a direct drive motor running through an invertek digital inverter that cost significantly more than $1000, is fitted with a 2KW motor, which still bogs down when doing stock removal of blades with 60grit Cubitron II belts, I can say for certainty that a 530W motor is a complete waste of time.

a 500w motor is going to be so fucking anaemic that it will bog down if you try to use it for anything but sanding dinky little bits of wood, maybe perspex or similar plastics. Its fine for a polisher or something that has little drag, but a grinder needs significantly more power than that for any sort of metalwork.
>>
>>951800

I have some machine tools. Like a bench grinder for knifes and small metalwork.

Other then that the only powertools are, Drill, Saw's, sanders etc. Nothing big. Would like to build a Drillpress and have a start for bigger projects. The VFD is going to be used in a CNC project.

Still got 5 left if i build a drill press.

Could allways try and sell some and get a more powerful motor.

The VFD can easily fry these motors as its rated for 1.5kW but yeah. got it all set up with limits and what not so it works with these.

Any recomendations for a cheap VFD for the rest of the motors. I have been playing with the idea of trying a Powerfull ESC for RC's and see if those would drive them... They range from 10A all the way up in the 300A range. But they might be low voltage 10-30Vac ish area as these motors are 230/400 depending on the way you config it.(DELTA or Y)

Got a friend that can weld and supply with metal and such. Could probably get a good Benchgrinder and a Drill press if. If the motor isn't powerfull enough for the grinder ill just upgrade. ;) Could probably also gear it down to 1:2 or 1:3 Ratio and Overdrive them abit.

The ratings for the motor is at 50Hz but its run fine on 100Hz and 150Hz. I have yet to load test it at 150Hz but it shows no signs of heatbuildup.

I also got a 5-6 Meter Cable ladder so i could probably make a motorised dolly thats powerfull enough to move an operator and the camera on the platform.
>>
>>951863
Share the load over more than one motor?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.