[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i came home to discover the tree service my neighborhood association
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: ud047.jpg (30 KB, 386x276) Image search: [Google]
ud047.jpg
30 KB, 386x276
So i came home to discover the tree service my neighborhood association hired had decided to cut down one of my trees.Idk why but now i have to look at my neighbors crappy house.Whats a good fast growing tree to plant?I live in Pennsylvania so it would have to tolerate a real winter season and frost cycle.
>>
>>950217
Ask them why the fuck they did that with out warning you first, and I would recommend a lombardy poplar or a october glory red maple
>>
File: summer-harvest-15_small.jpg (66 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
summer-harvest-15_small.jpg
66 KB, 500x375
Bamboo
>>
>>950226
Yeah,im pretty pissed and want an explanation as the tree wasnt anywhere near a structure or overhead line.thx for the suggestions.
>>
>>950229
Thought about that but im unsure if different species attain more height.google would help of course but i have had some potted bamboo that didnt get very tall.
>>
First determine where the sewer line is located.
You don't want roots in the line
Google hybrid poplar. They grow about five feet per year, but usually are dead in 20-30 years
There are other hybrids that are fast growing, pick one for your zone.
>>
>>950255
Thx.i think im gonna go with the poplar.per your advice, all the utilities are on other side of the house.i checked out something called an empress tree that apparantly grows unbelievably quick but im a little north of its recommended zone and also have some concerns about the size of its leaves as it gets really windy here.Bamboo would be great if i wanted a natiral privacy fence but i cant do that here.
>>
>>950286
Your HOA might have restrictions on what kind of trees you can grow.

Maples, locust, willow, poplar, all fast growers
>>
>>950288
My residency handbook(ugh i hate that such a thing even exists sometimes)only requires notification of planting if you intend to remove the plant/tree when you move so im good.
>>
>>950292
An afterthought.it seems im required to notify them if i take my own stuff but they neednt notify me to remove my own property.
>>
>>950294
Neighborhood associations are cancer. Especially if you own the house.
>>
Same question, but different area. Seems (obv) that most native species in the pacific northwest grow 200 ft +, anyone have any genius ideas for planting fastish growing native evergreen trees in a .1 acre lot that won't balloon hundreds of feet high?
>>
File: image.jpg (889 KB, 1500x2165) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
889 KB, 1500x2165
Bamboo is fast growing but is very invasive if you plant it in the ground

Here's the workaround - use planters made from free pallet wood. It keeps the roots from spreading and you don't have to notify your HOA since you aren't "planting" anything. Like how a tiny house is on wheels so it's not considered a permanent structure.
>>
File: image.jpg (308 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
308 KB, 1000x667
>>950668
Looks nice and easy to do
>>
>>950217
plant poplar
it will make u dear neighbor's piss off, after 10 years. Each summer they make fluff stuff.
>>
>>950668
Im loving this look.
>>
>>950681
Can the fluff be trained to only blow in their yard?desu the people are cool enuff i just have a lil higher standard for outdoor maintenance i guess.
>>
OP here again.So after i decide what tree to plant do you giys have suggestions for starter fertilizer?obviously it would depend on species but is it ok to go with whatever miracle gro recommends or is there a better option?
>>
>>950229
>>950668
>>950669
+1 for bamboo in containers. You could sow blackberries with it to make a food hedge or "fedge," and clover/legumes/ivy as mulch.
>>
>>950739
These ideas keep sounding better but im getting a long ways from a poplar tree now.
>>
>>950292
>residency handbook

LAAAND...OF THE....FREEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
>>950745
Haha yeahhhhhh...free to move to a non-regulated neighborhood i guess.
>>
>>950734
> trained to only blow in their yard
noop, not.
They live they own live, but fluff burns well and fun.
In our city it was been planted everywhere, in 60-x. Best kids play - burn that fluff.
In the spring, 3-4 days, specially after rain, they have beautiful smell.
>>
>>950734
>i just have a lil higher standard
Maybe, but not in that case, if tree was healthy, not broken in such way that it may cause some danger for ppl or maybe property.

They grow so damn slooooow, so if no legal reason to removal, I would be totally mad.

House may be repaired, no problem.
But getting old tree back, impossibur.

Hm, or possible, nice story for tree http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/moving-a-large-tree-feels-good/
>I know everyone will want to know how much something like this cost – approximately $57,000.
woow just woow
>>
File: 37.jpg (108 KB, 550x760) Image search: [Google]
37.jpg
108 KB, 550x760
>>950825
pic forgotten
>>
>>950825
This is exactly why im mad.while i absolutely couldnt afford to transplant a tree like the one in that story i may have been able to consider it for the one in my yard.i wasnt informed and so i didnt get the chance.sadness,mostly for the tree.nice story still.
>>
>>950827
Yeah wow indeed!
>>
File: arancio.jpg (83 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
arancio.jpg
83 KB, 800x600
>>950827
>>950825

literally WAT

me and my parents transplanted a 70+ y.o. orange tree about 8 m high.
Although on a bit smaller scale we did the same job done for that oak EXCEPT we had to cut down every branch or the plant would not survive the relocation.

Did we just cut down the branches for nothing?

> pic related, the orange trees 7 years after the transplant (it was the first year it bore fruits after that)
>>
>>951040
Probably not. That tree had probably been growing with its entire root ball waiting to be out in the ground. And it probably lost a lot of leaves and won't grow for awhile after its planted.
>>
>>951040
Look like you was a bit harsh with it, but with that type of tree, branches will grow, more branches more lemons.
Maybe you did your live easier with that decision.
another epic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFTj0hM3DHM

look at yt with keyword "tree relocation machine" or something similar, plenty videos about that stuff.

With smaller trees, things are simpler, something like that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEkZk8dagzQ
Maybe it needs more care after that, on 3:09 it can be seen how much roots are cutoff, it looks like some sort of fir-tree, so no problem for it.
>>
>>951197

well, that's a big tree
>>
>>950825
pulled down a 200 year oak in my garden because it was blocking planning permission. UMED?
>>
>>950828
I'm really gonna need a follow up on why the neighbor did this????
>>
>>951396
It wasnt my neighbor.the neighborhood association scheduled a private tree crew to do some trimming of obvious problem branches such as ones near overhead lines or underground utilities.i finally got home early enough to catch the manager yesterday and ask why my tree had to go but got no explanation.im going to contact the tree service today.like you,i really want to know why they did it.
>>
>>951307
>UMED =?
It's your garden, and your tree, chop them all, you decides.
I'm not greenpeace activist.

Some times ppl live in places, where no one may say it's my tree. And then ppl divides in 3 category's: idk, love it, hate it.
And then these haters gone to chop the tree, but they do not discuss that with others, because they know there enough ppl to stop them from doing that. No, they wait, they choose time, then bump tree is gone. It's like they stab you in the back.
What i have to do? Go crazy and shoot them? Or spend 60k bucks or more to plan new one or pay Agent 47 for assassination? Man not sure, what to choose.

lost 3 trees which I liked, in all cases there was reason for doing that, but...
Good enough there many trees here, so no problem. But that 3 trees i liked personally, 1/3 of my live was connected to them.
>>
>>951616
Have to add, we also have tree management service and usually they mark trees with paint.
And between marking and actually removal there is month or more. This is because they work slooow, but that bad is good.
Also they plant new trees too.
>>
>>950217
Plant a bunch of Russian Olive trees, they look like shit and will piss your neighbor off good. Grow like weeds.
>>
>>953004
buck thorn. grow like weeds, nice and thick like a hedge, practically nothing can kill them. you can cut the whole tree down right down to the ground and the next summer its already growing back. forest preserve folks hate them - always trying to eradicate them. I like 'em b'cuz no care needed. have them all around my yard. I do trim/shape the ones near the house so they look presentable. the ones around the edge of the back yard I let grow wild. provides a nice screen from neighbors (at least in the spring summer and fall). I'm in chicago area so I'd think they'd grow fine in PA.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.