[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Projector recommendation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: PTDW10000U.jpg (21 KB, 502x306) Image search: [Google]
PTDW10000U.jpg
21 KB, 502x306
Any student recommendation on buying average projector for dormitory room, basically media consumption.
>>
Rented one from my university to play xbox. Projectors put out a lot of heat and even with the window open and a couple fans going that little room got hotter than hell. Just something to consider.
>>
File: 1422987553223.gif (330 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1422987553223.gif
330 KB, 500x500
>>950058
Thanks! Will take that in consideration.
>>
What is your budget? There is a few portable 720p DLP LED projectors under $500. You just need space in the dorm room and a blank wall to project your video on. If you don't have room then just buy a first surface mirror on ebay and use it to reflect the image from the projector on a wall with only 12-15 inches depending on the zoom level of the projector.
>>
nice meme m8
fag
>>
>>950051
depends on how dark you can make your dorm room.

I still recomend a 42" LCD. even brand name ones are cheaper than projector and have better quality.

just make sure the native resolution is actually 720p at least. many sellers list shit as 1080p when hidden or not even mentioned is the shitty 320p native resolution.

an LCD you can buy a 10$ mount kit and use some scrap lumber to attach it to the back of a desk, bed or ask them if you can install a wall mount on the wall.
>>
>dormitory room
So basically what you're telling me is that you want to consume media in a closet.
OK.
Look up Ultra Short Throw projectors.
On average they seem to project 60" images from like, 3-4 feet away.
>>
>>950812
Those are short throw projectors. Real ultra short throw or UST projectors can project 90+ inch images with only 16 inches from the wall. I got the LG PF1000U and I project a 135 inch image on my wall with the projector being only 16 inches from the wall.

Search ultra short throw projector on amazon and you will see there is quite a few UST projectors out now. There is a few 1080p models out too.
>>
Also, would like a recomendation for a sub-$100 projector.

Want to project movies on a wall, no need for hi res, not gonna do text.
It will also be mostly used in dark conditions.
>>
>>950051
For media you don't need much resolution wise, but don't drop below svga or xga for its native resolution.

That said, you're a student. Good fuck do you have the money to choose? Watch eBay and Craigslist for a deal on a used one, and check the tech recycling dumpsters at your school weekly.
>>
>>951747
Forgot to add: I have two working projectors from the technology recycling bins. One needed some minor mirror repair, the other worked perfectly and was discarded because it didn't support the university's standard of HDMI.
>>
i had a buddy with a projector
it was dogshit
total cunt to set up, and it still never looked right, loud as fuck fan all the way through everything, would get really hot and need to 'cool down' every so often, and you could only watch anything after dark (closing curtains was not adequate). plus plugging it into his laptop meant a fuckload of wires everywhere (including to his soundbar), so you couldn't just turn it on and watch cos it took 10mins to warm up and get the thing running
and this was a pretty expensive decent brand
he bought a smart TV and just uses chromecast/plex for everything now
>>
To my knowledge 3m stopped producing projectors but if you can find 3m projector powered by roku (spr1000) its fucking tits. Its small, portable, easily hooks up with phones ect. I paid 250$ on ebay and worth every penny. Like I said they stopped making it but if you look hard enough you can find one
>>
>>950051
i know that when a school closes down or upgrades there equipment they usally ether chuck out the old projectors or keep them in storage so if u contact a few school they might give u a good deal on one
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.