[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>bored at work >find a suitcase lock >fashion crude
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
>bored at work
>find a suitcase lock
>fashion crude lockpicks out of a paperclip
>fiddle with it for 30 minutes
>click
>it unlocks
>instantly hooked

Where do I go from here? I've picked it open like 30 times now.

Also, lockpicking general.
>>
Now you realize 99% of pin and tumbler locks are trash.

Go watch Bosnian bill for a hundred hours and Get a training lock that you can repin with security pins and whatever

Get in on some lock pick groups and trade challenge locks.

Learn low voltage electronics.
Become security expert.
Meet Bosnian Bill at a conference. Gush.
>>
>>949531
Yeah, >>949558 has some of the right idea.
Here's one of the more useful video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI7Lx-73lU0
>>
get some picks
find more locks
buy a padlock from the dollar store or something

Paperclips are pretty weak and bendy. Regular flat picks will hold up
>>
This is relevant to my interests. So I don't have to skim through BosnianBill's 800 videos, does anyone know which pick set he recommends?
>>
>>950438
Sparrow, SouthOrd, and Peterson in order of cost. He advises to get a few of the most common single picks and a few tension wrenches to start out, not necessarily a set.
>>
>>950452
different anon here.
real pics are really big. I still use them now, but they hardly fit in locks and it seems to be 10x harder to pick the lock that it did with my bobby pin set.
The tension wrenches are nice though
>>
File: 20140824_224217.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
20140824_224217.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
picked this trioving ways back...
>>
File: 20141007_122413.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
20141007_122413.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
>>950499
...then made it repinable by drilling out the plugs and threading it for 4m wormscrews.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 515x374) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 515x374
>>950501
>>
I've made picks out of dulled hacksaw blades. Very easy if you have a table mounted grinder, but possible with more low tech/jury rigged equipment too. They are nice to work with because the steel is very stiff AND flexible enough not to break whenever you bend them a little. You can make some nice and slim picks with it, and they're just a twist away from a torsion wrench.

You can get about 2-3 picks out of one regular blade. Or more if you're better than me.
>>
>>950511
new pins = new lock
new lock = new challenge
>>
>>950467
Just what kind of bobby pins are you using?
Or are you using weird picks?
That doesn't sound right.
>>
File: S- Spirit-2.jpg (21 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
S- Spirit-2.jpg
21 KB, 250x250
>>949531
A cutaway lock is useful, but don't spend too much because it gets boring after about 12 hours.

>>950438
Anything with a lot of hooks. Pic(k) related is good, it's the Spirit Set from Sparrows.
>>
Once bought a generic cheap set (like 20 euros) from the internet. It was good enough to learn the basics, opened lots of basic locks for me. A basic generic set is cheap and good enough for learning.
>>
>>950661
>>950662
Yes, but be careful not to go TOO cheap, otherwise you'll just get complete junk. >$1 per pick is the general agreement for "alright"
>>
>>950671
I meant to buy the cheapest cutaway lock because it gets really boring, really fast.

Good picks usually cost $2 or $3 individually, but I went with a CAN$40 set because I needed tension tools and their presently worthless money gave me like a 30% discount.

Tension tools are a pain to buy individually.
>>
>>950676
Tension tools are a good thing to have plenty off.
They are easier to make than picks though, I make mine out of random shit.
>>
File: 524540wood rake.gif (7 KB, 358x279) Image search: [Google]
524540wood rake.gif
7 KB, 358x279
>>950676
>>950699
One rake gives you a lot of pick material.
Look how it's made from a series of bent "U"s. When cut in half that is flat spring steel that comes in a variety of angles with more than enough for several picksets per spoke.
>>
>>950723
People also use street sweeper bristles to great effect. Once you start looking for them, they're everywhere.
>>
>>950735
old windshield wipers, too
>>
>>950589
The bobby pins I use are the medium ones, Id call them small but Ive seen some really small ones. all I know is they arnt the big ones.
The lock picks I have are south ord, theres about a dozen different pics. My favorites are the half diamond and the small hook.

The picks work good on door locks, but for pad locks its impossible.

I can pick a 5/6 pic store lock just fine with the south ord, but I have note been able to get a pad lock more than a few times, and a luggage lock not a single time.
Back when I was using bobby pins I was picking master locks, luggage locks, and house locks with no problem. Ill be the first to say I am really out of practice, but knowing the length of time it takes to brute force a shitty lock is something you dont forget. Ive locked myself and my picks in recently and fabricated a new set of bobby pin lock picks for a doorknob lock and they seem to allow me to feel everything allot better
>>
>>949531

Pretty soon you will be just like that guy at defcon who nobody watches
>>
>>950786
>5/6 pic store lock
ment 5 or 6 pin lock off of a retail store's front door.
whatever the fuck blockbuster used. pretty sure its from the front door, it looks like the same insert that the gas station uses, same keyway too.
>>
>>950661
Is this the type of thing that will look incriminating if found by police?
>>
>>951064
Yes.
Depends on your local laws if lock picks are thieving tools if you're not a locksmith.
I just don't let mine leave the house.
>>
>>951064
Yes. In many jurisdictions the picks themselves are legal, but carrying them in the street could imply the intent to break and enter. Check your local laws.

I don't carry mine, but it seems really hard to get caught with them unless you publicly flaunt them like an idiot or are stopped for some unrelated crime.

>>951074
Dunno why they're still considered "thieving tools" in so many places. Thieves don't pick locks.
>>
>>951064
I think it adds 20 years if you're in France.
In Ohio, it's like carrying a crowbar or hammer at midnight on the streets. Not really a crime, unless a crime happens nearby.
>>
very good source of info..

...ffs 4chan. why is every pdf i try to upload "corrupted"?

dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgg4v3znmw59pnz/Lockpicking%20Detail%20Overkill.pdf?dl=0

these links expire in a day or so afaik.
>>
>>951542
> upload a pdf
You need to upload a brain into your head m8
>>
>>951542
Most boards don't allow pdfs
>>
>>951587
i seem to remember uploading a pdf on here before.
might be a long time ago. i don't know.

no matter. great resource.
>>
>>951590
ah, found a proper cache of it.
many of the pdfs of this is passwordprotected for some retarded reason.

http://ninjacache.com/data/uploads/lockpicking-detail-overkill.pdf
>>
>>951591
Interesting
>>
I've bought stuff from a Chinese outfit (would you believe a computer controlled laser engraver!), takes a while to arrive, but here is a page of lock picks, pick guns and cut-away/transparent lucks for your perusal: http://www.banggood.com/search/lock.html
>>
And another, also legit supplier (haven't bought any of their picks, so I can't testify as to their quality): http://www.gearbest.com/locksmith-tools-_gear/
>>
>>949531
read up on the stipulations of making/possessing/using lockpics in your area
hit up youtube for instructions and practice for tecnique
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.