[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tools thread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: Dremel-3000-Rotary-Tool.jpg (135 KB, 1400x1500) Image search: [Google]
Dremel-3000-Rotary-Tool.jpg
135 KB, 1400x1500
Tools thread?

I just picked up a Dremel 3000 for £50.

I looked around and it looked like the Chinese equivalents would be extortionate for shipping, so I ended up going authentic.

Did I do good /diy/?

P.S. using it for general DIY, and cutting shallow slots in 1.5mm mild steel for my laser engraver build.
>>
>>949490
you did... ok.
dremels atm are at their worst, and they all have a terrible reputation. go easy on it and repair as soon as anything starts breaking. first thing id do if i was you is open it, change ball bearings to ceramic, make sure everything is oiled up
>>
>>949498
Thanks.

What would you have recommended instead?

I was aware of what you said, but everything I read pointed me to the dremel, primarily because of the availability of spares. The RTX from black and decker looked good and cheaper, but had issues finding replacement brushes for example.

Again, I don't imagine Chinese knockoffs would be better n that respect. At least this thing comes with 24 months of limited warranty.
>>
>>949490
Dremels are decent
I have heard people say that the bare bones cheaper dremels are better than the more expensive multi speed ones.

I have never really seen proof of that.

I have bought a dremel multi max oscilation tool, and I have a regular dremel rotary tool.

I had almost immediate buyers remorse for both tools as they were a bit expensive, but over the years I have run into unique problems that were solved with having them lay around.

I think everyone should have a dremel laying around
>>
>>949754
Op here. Yes. Almost considered sending out back as soon as I received it, but I think it will come in handy, especially with the flexible attachment that came with it.

Burning through cutoff wheels like crazy when cutting through this steel plate though. Which is surprising. I thought they'd be a little tougher.
>>
>>949498

>changing things before they wear out.

I mean unless the component can result in damage to other components, user or loss of business. Why not just run them until they have worn?
>>
>>949759

Cutting through steel plate, you'd want a grinder.

Dremels are tools for fine, minute work.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>949490
GET ON MY LEVEL

The 3000 is a good model and these accessories are like Pokemon, gotta get them all. Mine works great and I haven't had any issues so far so I'm not worried about changing out anything. I wouldn't recommend buying a bare bones cheap one though. The multi speed is a must have, some things need 5,000 rpm and some need 35,000 rpm. Huge difference and really handy to be able to select the difference. You're right about the cutoff wheels being expensive, that shit adds up. They make two grinding/cutting value packs that are worth the money. I bought both and combined them into one case. Everyone should have a Dremmel, I never realized how handy they are until I got one. So many small projects taken care of. Cutting bolts short and grinding them smooth, fixing that door that won't close, cutting steel, sharpening things, making holes bigger, smoothing edges, man it goes on and on. Freaking love this thing, just make sure you get the flex shaft and shield attachments. Those are what I use the most.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>949837
Here's the two kits I bought and combined
>>
>>949788
The slot is 8mm x 2mm so I can get some cable ties through.
Too small for a grinder.
>>
>>949837
Yeah I got the Dremel 3000 3/55

Comes with a flex shaft, and the first two plastic attachments on your second row from the bottom.

Already cut the slots and it seems ok.

Flex shaft should be super useful.

I wouldn't mind getting the stand so I can use it as a benchtop drill press. Do you have that?
>>
>>949490
Stupid question here but what are dremels used for, to me they just seem like a drill
>>
>>949951
rotary tool that takes various attachments.

So basically a drill, but the form factor and attachments allows you do cut, grind, shape etc more easily than a drill.

It's for finer work and difficult to reach spots
>>
>>949954
Thanks man, makes sense now
>>
>>949498

That voids the warranty and their warranties are incredible.

They'll take tools without receipts or registration and honor them. I sent a burned out 8100 without any supporting documentation and they sent me a brand new one.

Also you just can't "oil" them up. They need a dielectric lubricant.
>>
>>949490

i like the look of dremels but always feels they are to small for whatever job i would need. have a Fein multi tool though that i cannot fault and comes in useful often.
>>
Just bought a Dremel 100 for $3. Looks almost new. It looks like their current model. Made in Mexico.
>>
Since this is a tools thread, what do you guys think of Oscillating Multi-Tools? Need to do a bit of sanding and maybe some cutting (renovating an apartment in a few months) so was thinking of getting one instead of a dedicated palm sander.
Also is going battery powered a viable idea? bosh have a battery powered version that looks tempting.
>>
>>950130
I have the Dremel one.
Imo, a palm sander works better for sanding.

It can do rough flush cutting, but a pull saw works better and gives better results.

The only use I can find that it really excels at is plunge cutting into something. It works great for plunge cuts that would be hard to do otherwise. And obviously it would rip up tiles really well.

I think the blades are highway robbery though
>>
>>950130
Oscillating tools do flush cutting like no other tool. They are also decent sanders. You can buy better sander for less and you can buy more versatile cutters for less. It sure as hell wont replace a good circular saw. They aren't a bad tools but their scope is more limited than the 'multitool' branding implies.
>>
>>950154
>>950145

Yeah "multi" things tend to be mediocre at multiple things. Dedicated tools are almost always better.
I'm thinking I could get away with it as I won't be using it heavily.
Still kinda worried about having to rely on sandpaper pads backed with special velcro. Could always stick new sand paper to used pads I guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 320x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 320x475
>>949947
Nah I've checked it out, but I don't think I'd have a use for it. For me a Dremel is more of a hand tool. I have a cordless and corded drill so I just use those when I need to drill something. I never have work that needs a "perfect" hole, usually just good enough to slip a bolt through or drill a pilot hole or whatever. I see how it could be useful, but drill presses are literally meant for pressing hard when trying to drill through thick metal. Plus their motors are crazy strong. A Dremel isn't gonna be that tough so I'd be leary of trying to use it in that capacity. Would be good for drilling in wood or a ghetto router but that's about it.
>>
>>949490
>picked up these meme tool chinkshit for $50
>did I do good?

No haha. You bought junk because you believe the marketing wank, regardless if you think you got a bagain.

You can buy unbadged generic chink copies that will perform just as well for a quarter of the price on eBay. Or used makita/bosch die grinders for the same price as that dremel
>>
>>950710
>$50

The fact that you can't tell the difference between £ and $ means that everyone in this thread can disregard your shitpost.

Thanks.
>>
>>950711

Doesn't matter. What I said in perfectly true.

You can disregard it as 'shitposting' if you'd like, just because I couldn't see the relevance of what currency you used, you still spent money on shit when there are better, more cost effective alternatives readily available.
>>
>>949751
A decent quality die grinder would certainly be more robust but a fair bit pricier.

Dremels are pretty handy for odd jobs here & there, but they do lack power/torque for anything more than that. They're quite easy to fuck if you use them too aggressively. The speed controllers tend to go bad on the newer ones with sustained used.

For steel I would definitely be looking at a die grinder if you'll be doing much work with it.
>>
>>950130
Amazing for plunge cutting but mediocre at most other stuff
>>
>>950720

I borrowed one to help notch out a cast on my brother in laws leg because the hospital did a shit job of exposing the wound.

I worked great in that application. I obviously didn't want to use a 1200w 4.5" grinder I use for literally everything else.

It worked great as a fine light duty tool but I did notice that the speed controller had issues and I had to wait until the tool normalized itself before the plunge cut.

It was a 300.
>>
>>950721
Plunge cutting could come in handy later on. At the moment as long as it is better than sanding by hand I'll be happy. Don't want to drop 100€ on something that just does one thing.
>>
>>950710
>You can buy unbadged generic chink copies that will perform just as well for a quarter of the price on eBay.
Post a testimony or something m8
>>
>>951742
Oh yeah, they're pretty good as a sander, but nothing special. Worth getting a decent one, mines a Makita, it's pretty good. Like I say, the few times you may use it for plunge cutting you will be happy that you own one.
>>
>>951758
Good to know.
In that case I now need to decide between a Makita TM3010CK/2 or a Bosch PMF 250 CES, both about the same price. Both good brands and about the same price (makita is a bit pricier and comes with no attachments). Might end up just flipping a coin.
>>
File: image.jpg (227 KB, 1007x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
227 KB, 1007x1600
Just found one of these at HD the other day. Hadn't seen anything exactly like it before so I figured it was worth a shot. Gotta say it makes a damn good backup for awkward spots, and is quicker to use than a regular adjustable wrench since you can synch down on the nut without removing it.
>>
>>950710
Do they come with 2 year warranties and easily replaceable parts for when it runs out?

If so, link you faggot.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.