[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
L Bracket
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: l-brackets-250x250.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
l-brackets-250x250.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
So, how thick of a piece of L-steel would I need to support 150 lbs over 9" with an L bracket and lag screws?
>>
File: 71GUSXC7JyL._SY355_.jpg (9 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
71GUSXC7JyL._SY355_.jpg
9 KB, 355x355
>>949038
No. get a braced heavy duty bracket.
what are you hanging it from? this is not your ordinary shelf.

these are rated for over 150lb if they are suitable.
>>
>>949048
Holding up a microwave. Feel the standard install is for shit. Would like to compensate appropriately with a bracket along the stud that can hold the whole thing.

Seriously, right now about half (or more) the damn weight is supported by about 3/16 of particle board. That can't be right.
>>
Doubt your microwave weighs that much, but two ordinary cross braced brackets should be fine. You want brackets that support 3x the weight of the microwave for the pair since who knows when some mongo (you) is going to drop a turkey on top of it. The ratings are for a static load.
>>
>>949052
There isn't space to put a bracket like >>949048

it's held up with a bolt from above; so plan to put an L bracket along the stud and hold it up with the supplied bolt.

Need steel thick enough that it won't warp/bend/fail under the load specified in requirements for installation in the spec sheet that came with it.
>>
>>949049
wood is stronk.
wood can stand quite a bit of compression.

take a picture of your current shelf. the way you describe it is like a mad man super glued a 3mm sheet of plywood at a 90 degree angle to the drywall.

most toilet cisterns are held up by toggle bolts in the drywall fyi. that's like a 10kg weight. I think your microwave is safe.
>>
File: mic.jpg (28 KB, 1073x605) Image search: [Google]
mic.jpg
28 KB, 1073x605
>>949064
So, there is a bracket holding up the back end, but what keeps it from tipping off and over are those two silver bolts in the front there. If they fail/push through then the mircrowaves will tip forward and off the well supported mounting bracket.

This will cause me to lose sleep.

So I want to put an L bracket along the stud on the picture-left side there that will do enough support to hold it up proper; even if some drunk (me) leans on the microwave door someway/how.

As it stands I feels like I could just rip the thing down (if I wanted to and tried too)
>>
>>949068
nope, sorry OP. I have no idea what i am looking at there. take a better picture. is this on its side? what silver things?
>>
>>949068
............................................................................................................................................................................So your microwave is screwed down on top of a kitchen cabinet and you're worried about it falling over?

There are these things called washers.

that picture is upside down right?
>>
>>949138
It appears to be under a cabinet and i would guess over the stove as a shitty fan/vent.

>>949068
Is the cabinet screwed into a stud?
>>
>>949140
you are correct it is an over the range microwave.

the cabinet is very secure into 3 studs by 6 screws. Its not the cabinet I'm worried about, but the 3/16" particle board that serves as the floor of the cabinet that the bolts are hanging on.

I'm not concerned about the bolts, I'm concerned about the particle board.

So I want to put an L bracket on the one stud that lines up with the bolt and give the bolt a more solid connection to a stud.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.