[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>client wants a raised fish pond like this Alright. Make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: Pond001 (1).jpg (129 KB, 800x549) Image search: [Google]
Pond001 (1).jpg
129 KB, 800x549
>client wants a raised fish pond like this

Alright. Make a structure out of wood, weatherproof it, whatever. Add a pond liner and it will hold water.

But it will be outside, so it can overflow in very rainy days. How can I add an overflow outlet to a PVC pond liner?
>>
1) Cut a hole in it at the hight you want it to overflow at
2) Add a PVC pipe or similar as a spout to direct run off to a convenient place
3) Profit

I'm sure you could think of that yourself though, what part are you having trouble with?
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 650x522) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 650x522
>>948538
You don't put the over flow through the liner, you put where the liner ends and in your case the wood starts.
>>
>>948538
From the outside (dry side), put a piece of PVC pipe against your liner so you can see the outline on the inside. Put a smaller diameter short piece of PVC pipe against the liner from the inside, so the OD of the inner piece aligns with the ID of the larger, outside piece. Hammer the the thinner piece into the thicker piece for a press fit. Cut a hole in the liner inside the pipe. Cut the short piece, paint it, use some sealant/glue. Whatever to make it pretty and durable.
>>
>>948542
This is impressive, but 2d drawings always give you a skewed idea of ease. When it overflows, you'd still have leakage with that design.
>>
>>948542
wut? this is terrible.
>>948543
this. simple sealant. look for aquarium safe sealant. dont want to kill the fish.
you install it as per normal. but you apply sealant between the liner and flange. then run overflow to drain.

why didnt you google this? it was the first result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI4x4bPcKXc
>>
File: 1040704.jpg (32 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
1040704.jpg
32 KB, 500x461
>>948546

I thought of this, but I'm not sure if it will work/not leak.
>>
>>948547
It won't leak if installed and maintained properly.
>>
>>948548
>implying the customer will maintain it properly
>>
>>948566
>implying it has to last more than the day the customer pays for it.
>>
>>948568
Not wrong!
>>
>>948566

>implyimg those things require any kind of maintenance
>>
>>948548
Maintain what? It doesn't move. Seal it and forget it.
>>
>>948566
>>
>>948709
Ayy, /fa/m
>>
>>948566
>>948574
>>948734
Typical tripcunt tier shitposting. Gotta get your name out there, right big guy?
>>
>>948750
I kind of forgot to turn it off.
Im a /fa/ggot.
Sorry bout that man
>>
File: travis cell phone 531.jpg (3 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
travis cell phone 531.jpg
3 MB, 2560x1920
First. It is hard to level a raised pond. I think it was the third one when I finally got it right where the ground is level and the top is level. A 1/2'' difference over 5 feet is pretty noticeable.

>>948542
This actually does work but raises the possibility of the fish jumping out of a raised pond and dying because its not possible for them to flop back into a raised pond. Just make a low spot where you want the water to run over the top. It can also cut into any underlayment in a weird way. Place Cinder Block then fold linear back, then capstone on top of linear. The water runs under the capstone. Its how my pond is setup. A layer of wood or capstone on top of where the linear and the water will flow through without reaching the top.

Please use an epdm linear. Most other linears get brittle over time.

>>948543 >This is totally correct. I draw a guide with a sharpie.

Electrical conduit connectors are much cheaper than the item poster. Just make sure you find two that fit tight while you are in the store.
>>
>>948794
Also if you do an overflow pipe place it about 1/2'' to 1'' below the top level of the linear because the sun damages the linear.
>>
>>948540
this100% i work at a fish hatchery dont forget to have mesh over the outflow to prevent fishes ffrom escaping
>>
>>948794
you just dont let it become exposed to sun. the liner is just a liner. people make the mistake of allowing plastic to be exposed to sun.
>>
>>948538
Why don't you just put a small roof on it?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (42 KB, 640x384) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
42 KB, 640x384
>>
>>948871

Good problem solving anon. May not be necessary in some situations but that is a very good drain + over flow combo.

Be careful with the drain clogging though.
>>
>>948850

To make it possible for rain to refill it. Chlorinated water can kill several kinds of fish almost instantly.

>>948794
>Please use an epdm linear

What kind of sealant do I use for that?

>>948871

I didn't want to put any kind of drain in the bottom because if it starts leaking or fails the entire pond will be gone almost instantly
>>
>>948833 I added that to my post directly below my post so I'm not sure why you posted
>because the sun damages the linear

a roof does prevent things like bird attacks and slows down algae growth. both are harder to prevent than adding dechlorinator. see that ugly net on the wall in the back of the photo. its because hungry birds will get bold and brazen. Herons, hawks, other more obscure aquatic birds you have never seen before will appear.

For epdm. pipe to pipe connections you probably need teflon tape. Most people use roofing cement or 5200 marine silicone and use a small piece of linear as a gasket of sorts. In that one spot you have twice the linear thickness to tighten. The bulkhead is doing most of the work in reality. The sealant just makes you feel better. There is no difference between aquarium sealant and silicone that I know of. You might want to give it some cure time though. If heard very good things about this <http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-PL-S30-10-fl-oz-Black-Polyurethane-Roof-and-Flashing-Sealant-1675273/203163733?AID=11210757&PID=7748744&SID=skim23176X1529093Xabcba578ed7c946cd7b230e9b2c98ff2&cm_mmc=CJ-_-7748744-_-11210757&cj=true> I'm on two pond forums and have never heard of anyone killing their fish with these. If you want you can pay way more for something that is advertised as safe but I've never seen a post that I didn't think was a shill post.

Most people with bottom drain designs have another settlement pond somewhere else and auto shutoffs for the pump in the event of a leak. this get expensive and well beyond what you need for this. They also have the ability to backwash the drain. It is the superior design and gets expensive fast.

If they have no plans to pressurize a pump in the future the electrical conduit pipes are much cheaper and work with pvc glue.

PVC linears will probably only last a year.
>>
Don't make a hole in your pond liner. Waste of time and better chance of making a mess of it.

Are you installing a drain? As in a municipal drain? If you're not, what you're doing is pointless to begin with. Any water run off will just sink into the ground around it or run off until it finds a drain.

>Rainy day

This is why you don't fill ponds. You under fill them. This way when the season has a lot of heavy rain the level comes up then during the warmer seasons the level goes down.
>>
>>948911

If a leak starts you will notice.

A failure to go wide open dumping will have to be someone fucking up big time and since you are being paid to do this I am sure you have some level of skill above that of your average retard.
>>
>>948574
This is why I don't hire contractors for anything.
>>
File: 154714[1].jpg (246 KB, 810x810) Image search: [Google]
154714[1].jpg
246 KB, 810x810
>>948538
I had an above ground pool that used bulkheads like this one for the filter/pump hoses. Never had a leak in 3 years of service.
>>
>>948911
>To make it possible for rain to refill it. Chlorinated water can kill several kinds of fish almost instantly.
So just put a bucket where ever the run off from the roof is directed.
>>
Why are you worried about overflow, just put some decorative rock garden behind it and build the back shorter.
>>
>>949255
nice idea, like a little waterfall feature?
also op, hope you're not using that image with a visible liner as your template
>>
I would pre-drill holes in the wood so the overflow comes through the top of the wood so it doesnt look like shit.
>>
>>948794

>sink corner posts
>attach board to one post
>level off board
>repeat as needed

Seriously, my 8 year old brother figured it out building a quail pen, it's not rocket science.
>>
>>948538
can you install a water level sensor and then have it trigger a valve that switches the sump pump from going to the fountain/ filters to instead going outside the pond?
>>
>>948538
This is the thing:
>>948547
It is called a bung. It should have a rubber flat washer missing in this pic. Use plenty of silicone caulk anyway.
>>
>>949270
my pond doesnt have any boards. and you have all the dirt from digging the pond. its not a quail pen.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (6 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
6 KB, 300x300
>>949528

>Sink 4 temporary stakes at corners of pond project
>run twine across stakes
>hang a level on the string and adjust
>build to line

Super fucking hard concept m8, don't worry if you don't get it on the first try.
>>
>>949871
So hey, why post that? If the question is so stupid, why answer it? If it's worth answering, why answer it like that?
I mean what were your goals here, your expected outcome?
>>
Pond thread?

Been thinking of building a pond in my back pasture for a long time. I was thinking make it in shelves since the goal is to raise crawdads and other small fish, as well as some bigger ones I was thinking about a it being aware, starting with a 10x10x6 then going out five foot from that at the foot deep, then another 5 felt out at 1 foot deep. In the middle I would have an aerator of some sort, most likely a paddle wheel being powers by the creek, but I am open to suggestions. I also will build a wall around it to stop my non natives from entering the creek.

Anyway, my question is where do I start? I have all the digging equipment, as well as the know how for a basic cinderblock wall, but after that I am clueless as to how to build this pond. I am moving in July and the pond will be at the new house, so I have some time figure it out some, I just need a nudge in the right direction.
>>
>>949878
I really don't care that much but people are so crazy about non natives. Its hard to contain things like crawfish eggs, fish eggs from getting into the creek. Even if the creek has crawfish they will inevitably be different species. I would worry about contamination if you are planning on eating them. Even my tap water has spike in nitrates around the time of fertilizer runoff from farms and I'm in new jersey not exactly a farming state. Big fish would eat crawdads.

Depends on your location but I doubt you need 6 foot depth.
You could probably build it like the old canals parallel to the creek and run a pipe under ground to the dug area. Or put a pump in a deep spot of the creek and run water over to pond as needed.

typical ornamental pond, dig hole, throw in old carpet so linear doesn't get roots and rocks puncture it, throw in linear. add any pipes you plan as discussed above. add water while standing in there moving linear around. also not sure if this is a donald trump related question about stopping non natives.

I don't know how you would control the width of the pond just by damming it up without a lot of engineering. Maybe that angry guy knows.

I've been wondering how to move a creek off my property without drawing attention to myself if anyone has any suggestions.
>>
>>948911
>almost instantly
previously pool technician here, can disprove. I used gasoline powered pumps, electrical sump pumps etc to empty overflow from old timey pools and "ponds" like OP mentions.

There is no such thing as instant emptying with these things unless you're talking one of those flimsy tarpaulin walled free standing shits. It takes literally hours to drain, and the pipe/fitting you'd put in the bottom (and probably have to return to remove debris from, protip) wouldn't have a diameter above 4". No worries, just seal it properly above and below the membrane. Not a bad idea to build in a drain, it's a real fucking pain to drain these with pumps.
>>
>>950606
How many acres of land do you have? Is the creek big, small etc.

If it's not crazy huge, and you're not a stranger to working a bit, you could put it in pipe, but that seems like a nightmare with the local authorities if you get discovered. Also hard to do effectively without renting an excavator, and there's nothing that raises more attention than a giant Komatsu in your back yard.
>>
I don't even build anything. This is impressive. I like seeing the community help one another. This is why I love /diy/
>>
>>948547

this wont leak, even if it did ever so slightly you would only be talking evaporation level water loss
>>
>>950624
the creek is literally between six inches and 18 inches wide. however their are tributary buffers that are rendering the land almost worthless. its about 1&1/4 acre and I don't have that far to go but the creek buffer is 50 feet. Yes I need to do it quietly.
>>
File: category_image_14488.jpg (240 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
category_image_14488.jpg
240 KB, 800x600
>>950606

The 6 foot depth is to get through the clay in case I need drain it. Around here it's about 18 inches of top soil, then 4-5 feet of clay, then nothing but sand.whenever I make a hole (I raise sheep, and have bury the dead ones because a new house went up right next to were I dumped bodies), I always go down to the sand so they drain as they rot.

I'm not to worried to much about things like eggs getting into the creek, because the people who live there now burned up the sides with fill dirt about 6 foot high for flood control. I am worried about mature crawdads leaving the pond and hiking to the creek, which I've been told they can do. For that I am thinking just a hardware cloth fence a couple inches high.

The more I think on it, it may be easier/cheaper to just buy a giant stocktaking like pic related and use that.

As for your creek, water follows low areas, so what I would do is rent a trencher and trench around the perimeter of your property, connecting both ends of the tench to the creek. Then just dump a few loads of fill dirt into the creek to damn it up and direct your water to the trench. No idea if it would work as planned since I've never done it, but it makes sense in my head. If your neighbors get nosey, tell them you are installing one of those underground dog fences.

A point of concern for me would be your lands draining since it presumably drains to the creek in its current state. Maybe have a plow brought in and work it up until it's level, or install field tile.
>>
>>950696
Thanks for the idea on the trencher. I'll look into it.

I think if you are able to just dig to the clay and have it hold water that would be the easiest option. Just dig to slightly below the frost line. If you need to drain it just pump it out. There are also some minerals in clay that are suppose to be good for fish.

The ground holds a stable temperature and will help with growth, increase oxygen levels by keeping it cooler in the summer. A fresh supply of creek water will also keep your fish growing faster as bad water parameters are what slows down and kill fish. I would think that stock tank would be slow the growth rate. It looks like it could also get too hot and fish kills can happen because of lack of oxygen. I think it would work but probably more work in the long run.

Pic related is what I was originally thinking.
>>
>>950766

Is that your land? My concern would be that without damning the small creek you will just connect them without stopping the flow. Water will follow the path of least resistance, so it will just keep going.

Also, are the creeks the same height? If the one you're draining in is higher, it could backflow through however you connect it and raise water levels up stream.

Overall, that's a harder position to work around. Could you maybe divert it the other way so you don't connect them?

On any account, you are going to need a very big pipe for a job like this, do you have access to culvert pipes? My creek is about 3 foot across and two foot deep, and it runs through two 6 foot diameter culverts.
>>
>>950766
>Vastergotland
Does the Swedish government just allow people to mess with the nations waterways? What you are proposing to do would be INCREDIBLY illegal in the usa.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.