[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NEED HELP!! Busted one of the RCA plugs running to my turntable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: audio-technica-at-lp120-17.jpg (3 MB, 2820x1586) Image search: [Google]
audio-technica-at-lp120-17.jpg
3 MB, 2820x1586
NEED HELP!!

Busted one of the RCA plugs running to my turntable and upon looking for muh audiophile replacements I noticed that these apparently come in different measurements (in reference to pin size).

Seems like something that'd be easy to Google..Not so much. Just one of those things I guess.

>tl;dr
What is the standard size of an RCA cable or at least what would be the appropriate replacement for these plugs?

also, general audiophile electronics thread?? Looking into building my own tube amp.
>>
>>948419
What are you talking about?

RCA Stereo plugs are 1 size.
Just go on amazon and buy a replacement set of them. I see like 10 different types all under 10$.

And if you want to build your own tube amp pop into /ohm/ and learn yourself some knowledge.
>>
File: verniercaliper_fhqhqofhew.jpg (179 KB, 1584x824) Image search: [Google]
verniercaliper_fhqhqofhew.jpg
179 KB, 1584x824
>>948419
to measure small stuff really really accurate, get a plain vernier caliper and learn to use it.

Further reading:
1) get a non-electronic caliper, and get a non-dial caliper. cheap electronic calipers aren't reliable, and dial calipers only measure in one system (Imperial or Metric, but not both). a plain vernier caliper will be 100% reliable, and will measure in both systems.
2) get a plain caliper that can measure down to .001 inch, and down to .05 mm.
3) 6-inch / 150mm calipers can be had pretty cheap. You can get 8", 12" and longer ones, but the prices go up rapidly for longer lengths.
4) get one made totally out of stainless-steel; don't get a plastic one.

Pic related is an example of the proper type to get, on Amazon,,, but it is overpriced at $28. I've seen ones like this for around $15 other places online.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
As most all of these cheap calipers are China-made, they tend to come with manufacturing grit in them. It is very beneficial to take them apart first and clean them, then oil and reassemble.

$15 might seem like a lot just to measure little stuff, but it's a good deal overall.
For normal home/hobby use--if you keep this thing clean and put a drop of oil on it every year or two, you're not going to wear it out. As long as you don't bend it, drop it or lose it, it's going to last the rest of your life.
>>
>>948419
>I noticed that these apparently come in different measurements (in reference to pin size).

Studio audiofag here, gunna need to see a big citation on that one, in 14 years of plugging shit in I have never seen any type of RCA plug that does not meet the standard. A quick check of wiki would indicate the same as well. There are bullet RCA's with a center return, but even these match the standard 1/8th inch center pin diameter.

Any old RCA socket will do.
>>
>>948444
Thanks for the info, man. I'll be sure and pick a set up on my next order.

>>948424
>>948453
checking out both Michael Percy's catalog and PartsX they both list a multitude of different pin sizes for their RCA plugs..maybe they're referring to the soldering area of each plug?

I remember thinking the same thing when I went to put an order in. I was a late 80's/90's kid..I've definitely fucked with some RCA cables before and I've never had a problem. Nonetheless, all this audiophile stuff, seems like you can never know for sure. All these manufacturers are making everything drastically different from one another to stand out to that particular niche crowd.
>>
>>948453
<-from Cardas website:
>9mm housing

I've seen 10, 13.5, 8....all sorts of dumb shit. I could be totally off though on my assumptions...could still be referring to the solder/terminated housing??
>>
>>948476
Is there some reason why you're looking to get weird, overbuilt rca plugs for a usb turntable?
>>
>>948444
was watching TV show about USAF making Apache helicopters and they looked like they were using the ones from eBay lol... the digital ones are not bad and mine seem to be decent down to .03mm but i only round it to .05 to be safe.
>>
>>948476
>9mm cable opening
Cables come in various thicknesses. The plug part stays the same.
>>
File: Audiofools.jpg (23 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Audiofools.jpg
23 KB, 300x225
>>948419
>also, general audiophile
>>
>>948478
..it isn't a USB turntable. You can hook it up to USB if you want to record it, but I don't even use that function.

..anyway, I figure I'm replacing the plug, so I might as well replace both. If I'm replacing the plugs, I might as well take that opportunity to perform a common mod to take out the onboard phono since it still affects the single when it's off..If I'm doing that, might as well replace the cable with something that's worth a shit.
>>
>>948486
I figured you weren't hooking it up via USB, I was just saying it wasn't some silly, expensive, "audiophile" turntable. Seems silly to me to get expensive (at least looking) RCA jacks, especially since I doubt there's any difference in sound quality. Either way, this guy answered your size question>>948481. Enjoy!
>>
>>948484
>Actually falling for the lime meme
lol enjoy your sour sound
Banana master race
>>
>>948486
For all that effort, you could just get a not shit turntable in the first place.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.