[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vardos or Gypsy Wagon Living
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: vardo.jpg (194 KB, 680x529) Image search: [Google]
vardo.jpg
194 KB, 680x529
Hello folks.

My wife and I are interested in building a vardo / gypsy wagon (pic related), for use as either a camping trailer, guest house, or possibly even for long term living. There are a variety of build guides I've found, but I thought I would drop a line here to see if anyone has any experience or advice on building campers in general, and tiny campers in particular.

Anyone have any stories, resources, or advice on these things? I know it's probably a long shot -- but the internet is a strange place, so who knows.
>>
i have found these work really well but dont forget to ask questions like

how experienced are you driving with a trailer
how much will this flex during moment
will this include any sort of pluming
and so on
>>
Hey Anon, if you want to know more about building one of these before you get into it, try looking up tumbleweed tiny homes. They have people who travel around the US doing weekend seminars about the finer points of building your own tiny home.
>>
>>948148
its super easy to build one for cheap!
>>
From all I have seen of these units your best just to buy an RV.
>>
>>948264
ah yes, the good old DIY spirit
>>
>>948148
I keep reading articles, and daydreaming about building one of these myself. The lack of household plumbing would get to me sooner than any other discomfort. Reading up on how RV toilets work wasn't a comforting process either. Those appear to be something you'd only want to use if you were either hoping between RV parks, or desperate.
>>
>>948331
Honestly, the plumbing is a major limiting factor for me as well. Limited water for kitchen functions isn't a problem, but a black water system quickly exceeds the capability of a micro-RV like this. However, as you said -- if you're hopping from park to park then the toilet isn't much of an issue (and when you're not near civilization then you can just cathole it). It could basically be for emergencies.

I suppose it's just a necessary sacrifice for a compact living space like this.
>>
>>948148
I would strongly suggest looking up tiny houses. they've been trending very hard lately, so you have a TON of diy builds. Due to building codes, they're usually built on trailers too, but tend to have a different style from vardo's, peaked roof and loft are a common difference.
Also, tiny houses usually are much more designed around at least minimal plumbing/electrical systems. lots of plans with solar panels and battery shelf and electrical hookup for tiny houses.

The downside is that tiny houses are more designed like mobile homes than rv's. they're definitely mobile, but not aerodynamically designed.

Also, suggest that you plan to insulate the floor, a failure point for a lot of mobile homes (inside is heated, but plumbing pipes are often run under the floor for space, and can freeze).
Look up food trucks, you could easily add a dining bar with pull out awning along one side with fold out stools and fold down bartop.
Don't feel limited to single use space, I strongly suggest a european style shower, with a curtain and tiling in the corner. When you're done, fold back the curtain and it's kitchen space again.
Look up dry flush toilets. the bags are a little expensive, but no smell, it just vacuum seals everything into bags. Conversely, a lot of people have had success with a toilet seat with a seal combined with a cover material, such as sawdust. the sawdust dries everything out, which really cuts down on the smell. If you've ever stepped in doggie doo, you know exactly what i'm talking about, the dried stuff is annoying, but is basically a clot of dirt from more than 1' away from your face, but if you stepped on one with a squishy center, you'll know within 5 steps.

Also, look up campers, both popup and teardrop. teardrop's were common in the 1930's, and in the 50's and 60's tons of people made their own out of bent wood laminations. popup's also have their own diy options, especially pickup truck conversions.
>>
File: IMG_0982.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0982.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>948148
Hey OP

I'm building a "tiny house" which has a 30 foot box. Currently waiting on my wiring harness and lights to show up so I can haul it to get some extra steel welded in.

I can try and answer any questions.
>>
>>949753
You going to add a third axle?
>>
>>949820
Nope, the original build was just under 10,000 pounds and my new design is going to be around 7000 fully loaded so I'm not worried, they are 5,200 pound axles in tandem.
>>
File: 051-1.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
051-1.jpg
139 KB, 1024x768
>>948266
Box truck RV is best RV. Commercial models, especially used, RVs suck for long term habitation. Whole lot of real estate in an old box truck, cheap from a fleet auction, durable axles and transmission. Easy to work with water proof shell so you don't even need a garage to fix up.
>>
>>950768
I saw some thing like this in New Zealand. Done up to look like an unmodified box truck so they could street park it any where. The inside was awesome all natural stained woods. It was pretty cool.
>>
File: DSCN0984.jpg (152 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0984.jpg
152 KB, 1600x1200
>>950782
Old uhauls are cheap, made to carry weight long ways, and can tow a car. It's a blank slate and better than a trailer frame to start with.
With creativity has the potential of growing from an RV to a mobile mansion.
Folks underestimate the power of s roof deck.
These folks get it... Unbelievable House Truck Transforms Into Fantasy …: http://youtu.be/CnHGKUh-5O4
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.