[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rusting Lightsaber hilt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 20160216_184130.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160216_184130.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
I've owned this 2005 Master Replicas Anakin Skywalker lightsaber for somewhere near 11 years, and was wondering if there was a way to remediate the pitting and rusting that is occuring. Without using chemicals would be preferred, but I'd be fine with having to do so.
>>
up the butt it goes
>>
File: pitbat[1].jpg (45 KB, 550x377) Image search: [Google]
pitbat[1].jpg
45 KB, 550x377
>>947681
jeez, can you imagine this sweaty palm guy at the conventions

nothankyou.png
>>
>>947695
>implying this is 11 years of use
>>
File: mGlW8Yd.jpg (57 KB, 661x885) Image search: [Google]
mGlW8Yd.jpg
57 KB, 661x885
>>947681
Clean it with tin foil dipped in diluted apple cider vinegar, you can use some foil from your fedora.
>>
>>947725
>implying I'm validly trying to clean it

Like come the fuck on, my dipshit friend came on here a few weeks ago, asked how to fix an even shittier plastic one and you answered.

>please, I beg you, help me.
>>
>>947681
You are losing your chrome plate when its pitting.

The whole "use aluminum foil and polish" is for extremely rusted and pitted chrome. The end results from using foil and polish end up looking like what you have.

Its a vast improvement over something rusty and nasty, but isnt really useful to you.

The loss of your chrome cant really be remedied without it being rechromed..
>>
>>947730
Not that guy, but anything that can be done to rid it of rust is going to cause collateral damage to the decent chrome around it.
Like wire brushing it
>>
>>947730
I wasn't aware you had already asked for help with your toy

>>947731
>>947735
hence >>947725
>>
>>947681
your plating it coming off from it rusting underneath. [seriously hope you didn't pay lots of money for a chrome plate that shitty. you where better off with "GM" fake chrome at this point. aka paint.]

If you really don't wanna /diy/ it yourself then you can go to any place that restores musicial instruments like flutes and brass stuff. they surely will have a fix for you, at a cost of course. but it would be done right.
>>
>implying op hasn't come back because he committed sudoku with his laser sword
>>
>>947752
I got it clearanced at some bookstore that was closing down back in '05

It looks nice, but after a while it's worn too much for me to tolerate it.

I've done what I can keeping the gold activator switch and panel polished, as well as the brass "buttons"

My friend has a Luke edition (different activator switch, different grip and button pattern, prongs at blade end have an indent), and it hasn't rusted at all, despite him keeping it in a really humid basement. Of course, it is a 2007 model, so it could be a different material, but it bugs the shit out of me
>>
>>947786
you could maybe try to look for a place that can powder coat for you. will be hella durable and won't do what chrome does. besides that if its not steel, but aluminum just strip the coating off and polish the aluminum and hit it was an acrylic clear coat.
>Kyrlon crystal clear acrylic
its getting harder and harder to find in stores around me, maybe you will have good luck tho.
>>
File: stereogram-getlife.gif (12 KB, 652x379) Image search: [Google]
stereogram-getlife.gif
12 KB, 652x379
>>947786
aaaaaand that's the LOL
>>
>>947681
the best fix will be to disassemble it your self and take ONLY the metal part thats getting fucked to a metal plater for replating. An instrument repair shop is just going to out source it to the same person you would be calling but for twice the price.
>>
>>947681
There's no fix for that, the rust is under the chrome plating. The only way to repair it is to strip and re-chrome it.
>>
>>947735
Yep. pretty much my only suggestion is to wirebrush it clean, then chrome spray paint. kill or cure, though.
>>
>>947681
>2005 Master Replicas Anakin Skywalker lightsaber for somewhere near 11
2016 - 2005 = 11, very good anon were all proud of you. you get a star!

really though what fucking metal is that?
is it even metal? if its plastic that is the plastic breaking down.
if its metal Id guess you either need to get use to it or find somewhere to re chrome it.
My guess is it wasn't even chrome in the first place.. I have no clue but you might be able to sand it all down and then respray it with some shitty chrome paint
>>
>>947681
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHROME-SPRAY-PAINT-400ml-MIRROR-LOOK-/131240733075?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

If you actually use it and carry it about, I'd just suggest killing yourself.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.