[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tanning question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: AgauVerde09.jpg (90 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
AgauVerde09.jpg
90 KB, 640x427
Posted this on /out/ but I'll try here.
I found a dead goat with its head caught in the crook of a tree. Some animal tore its guts out, so the hide was hollowed out and was perfectly mummified by the elements. Looked similar to pic related.
I harvested the pelt and want to make a bunch of rawhide. Only problem is it STINKS. I've washed it in soapy water, I've boiled it, I've immersed it in alcohol. After all this I sealed it in a bag full of baking soda and left it for six months. Not the slightest change; it still smells enough to make your toenails curl.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>947589
Holy shit man know when to walk away from something
>>
>>947591
kek
>>
>>947589
Have you tried to talk with the goat about this misbehaviour?

You should consoder some prodictive talk with the goat.

Say the goat, it dont meets your requirements and you should offer a reorientation
>>
Googling for 2 seconds: Soak it in water, baking soda and alum (Ammonium aluminium sulfate). Also, why would you want to try to tan a rotten hide? FFS
>>
File: 1448255587839.png (188 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1448255587839.png
188 KB, 330x319
>>947614
>>
File: 20160215_161810.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2560) Image search: [Google]
20160215_161810.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2560
>get rid of it, it's a waste of time

You're best throw what you found, it's rubbish.
1. Kill a goat
2. skin the goat
3. remove fat from goat hide
4. salt the hide
5. fold the hide + tilt to let it drain
6. remove salt after salt turns red
7. apply more salt to hide
8. once hide is dry shake off lose salt
9. send hide to to tanner
10. receive finished hide from tanner (hide done)
11. ?????
12. profit

>do to goat as I did to mouse
>>
>>947589
what you are having a problem with is bacteria. anon what kills bacteria with hells fury? yes. you got that right, bleach!

spray a 25% bleach/ 85%water mixture onto the fur and hide side. leave it out in the sun skinside up, when it starts to get a little dry, spray it again, keep it wet. should take about 6 hours if you start around 11AM. bring it inside [shaded area works too], and throw some salt on the skin side.

>>947843
Squirrelzz Guide

Skin
[de-hair if you aren't keeping fur]
Scrape the fat off.

Extract Tannin's from Oak bark/Gulls/Acorns
- Boil water with finely chopped/grinded oak bark finer the better
- Let it simmer [if you can burn yourself, you burn the skin]

Throw your hide in the tannin water and let it sit for 24/48 hours or even longer. I like closing off the containers if possible and keeping them out of the sun light after boiling.
-A skin is done tanning when tannins have penetrated all of it’s fibers. Checking by snipping off a sample from a thick edge is the easiest way to see this process, you should see a color diffrence all the way through.
- For thicker skins such as cow, elk, moose. making too strong of a tea can ‘shock’ the hide, meaning the exterior of the hide tans too fully too fast, blocking tannins from getting to the interior fibers of the skin.

Softening your leather.
First off, this can be accomplished by taking out the hide from your tannin and washing it off well in a steam/creek.
hang it up to let it dry, as soon as it starts looking a little dry start appling the oil.
-some good oils to use are lard, bear grease, seal oil, olive oil any liquid and semi-soild oils work best.
- If your gonna "wear" the skins then the oil only should be applied to the outside [grain side] not the side that would come in conntact with your skin.
-keep it hung some place to dry, you're gonna have to strech and oil it many times so be prepaired.
-More oil applied the more "water proof" it will be.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.