[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beginner Soldering Advice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
I've wanted to learn a practical skill for a long time, shitty minimum wage job and wasting my life away never accomplishing anything. So I decided to start with something simple.

I bought a Weller WLC100 a few weeks ago, not sure where that stands on quality, but it was affordable. Today picked up some solder (Nexxtech light-duty rosin core) and some de-soldering braid.

I think I have everything I need to get started, though I keep seeing mention of 'flux' but I think Rosin core doesn't need it? correct me if i'm wrong, I'm here to learn.

I have a few Electronics to work on, and possibly some throw-aways I could practice on. My goal projects are to fix a loose power jack that's fallen off inside of a waacom tablet, (Thankfully there's a really nice guide for the specific model and everything) And then I have another power jack on an old laptop that probably needs to be replaced entirely as it no longer receives power, so that one's probably waiting on shipping.

The last one I'm not sure if it's feasible with what I have, but i'll ask anyway. I have an old Dell alienware wall outlet cord, The Wires are broken and exposed and I was wondering if I'd be able to melt them back together with some solder, or if that's even a feasible option for conductivity etc, If this is a ridiculous notion go ahead and laugh at me, I'm a newbie so I have to ask somewhere.

Oh yeah, my soldering iron didn't come with a sponge, can I use a regular household sponge? How about work surfaces, is my pseudo-wood desk fine as long as I don't set the pen on it?

Please give me as many pointers as possible, links to tutorial videos, good resources etc, thanks in advance senpais
>>
> Dell alienware wall outlet cord
Yes. Google wire splicing methods and pick what suits you. Heat shrink tubing for insulation afterwards.

>sponge
Yes. Household is fine. So is a paper towel, or your sleeve, or your trousers. Don't burn your house down. (An iron aint THAT hot.)

>Surface.
Don't burn your house down.

>Pointers.
Afrotech on youtube. His basics videos will get you up to speed. Also he doesn't dick around and keeps a good pace.
>>
>>947544
>wires
yes, cut off the damaged areas, trim off from the good areas, insert heat shrink sleeves, solder, heat shrink, wrap in tape to protect, done

>sponge
no dont use regular sponge. use kitchen towels with a tiny bit of water. it works great.

>work surface
literally doesnt matter at all. even if you put down your iron it should be tipping up because the handle should naturally rest the iron above the surface.

>videos
yes. youtube "nasa soldering", and "pace soldering"
>>
>>947544
you dont need flux unless you are doing small smd shit or plumbing.
solder isn't mechanical fix so you shouldn't solder cables without extra strain relief. use crimps.
solder sponges with a hole in the middle make it real easy to clean quickly against the edge so the gunk goes in the hole. also bath/washing spponges don't hold water as well as solder sponge. dont know why. once you wipe it clean you should tin the tip to keep it wet

usually pencil will balance so its not burning anything. just don't use it on carpet. don't worry about dripping solder on solid surfaces, it peels off easy.

also learn how to say soLder

>>947560
>"pace soldering"
videos of black magic to knock your confidence
>>
File: xbDnE0G.gif (1022 KB, 320x210) Image search: [Google]
xbDnE0G.gif
1022 KB, 320x210
>>947560
Kitchen towels, I might have some rags or be able to make some, How much water typically? I'm not sure what level of heat i'm dealing with at the tip, Like will it ignite paper or flammables.

>wires
The break happens to be right where it connects to the brick, am I fine to follow a guide like this: [spoiler]http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-Your-Laptop-Power-Cord/?ALLSTEPS[/spoiler]

>>947554
Is Paper towel really fine? Like I was thinking anything that creates vapors while melting a metal could also start a fire.

Also thank you all so much for your answers and links.
>>
>>947544
its really not that hard.
look up what a "cold joint" is, and what it looks like
dont do cold joints. dont use too much solder. dont use too little solder.
that sums it up.
I use a $20 weller, and a wet paper towel to solder, shit just werks.
>>
>>947588
by kitchen towel i meant paper towel. a few drops of water is all you need, it just needs to be a little damp, but not dripping wet.

no it wont ignite the paper towel. you have to try hard to ignite it.

if it breaks at the brick, unless you can open it up and do a good job... i dont recommend a noob messing with it.

the pace video series is all you need.
>>
>>947544
>Work environment
Always use ventilation while working!

Unless you don't give a crap about your pseudo-wood desk use some kind of underlay to work on.
Flux really gets everywhere and are rater annoying to clean up.
>>
Watch the youtube channel of "Louis Rossmann"
>>
A great point to start with learning to solder is those Velleman Kits.

It's not that you learn to make or design circuits, but it will help you learn to solder itself.
Got plenty of cool things you can make.
>>
File: sku_34154_1.jpg (43 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
sku_34154_1.jpg
43 KB, 600x600
Don't use a sponge. Especially a wet one will expose your tip to thermal shocks. Use pic related and never look back.

http://www.dx.com/p/soldering-iron-tip-cleaner-black-34154#.VsdTreZ9Zl8
>>
My advice is to install Gentoo
>>
>>949007
Counter argument is the brass wool thing is actually more harsh and more dirty than sponge or kitchen paper, because the brass is slightly abrasive with all the old oxidized crap solder inside where you cannot see, so you are constantly in contact with harsh contamination. Where as a wet sponge or paper towel is easily replaced if it is visibly getting filled up, and... NASA uses it.
>>
>>949251
NASA also uses diapers instead of piss bottles.
>>
>>949251
yeah but nasa changes tips like crazy
>>
>>949007
Cheaper from Bang Good

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-1-Pcs-Heavy-Duty-Soldering-Solder-Iron-Tip-Cleaner-Steel-Wire-With-Stand-Set-NEW-p-51729.html
>>
>>949262
You think they should save some money and use a dirty tip? They have standards to meet you know
>>
File: long_life_1.jpg (16 KB, 215x180) Image search: [Google]
long_life_1.jpg
16 KB, 215x180
>>949281
That's not what he's saying.
Well, I don't know which one is better, but I haven't seen the classic hole in tip after I switched to brass wool.
>>
>>949400
That is just because all the old solder is not getting off cleanly so your tip is always covered with something, that is the only nice thing about brass wool, they are convenient, cheap and lazy but they don't do the job as well.
>>
>>949260
>NASA also uses diapers instead of piss bottles.
my sides are in orbit
>mfw we are decades ahead of nasa
>>
>>949904
>implying diapers aren't objectively superior
Diapers:
Handsfree
Discrete
Can be worn under clothes
Can contain faeces
Can claim autism to get them with autism bucks
Used by NASA astronauts on space missions.

Bottles:
Require taking a hand off the keyboard, reducing shitposting efficiency
Can be knocked over
Cannot contain faeces
Not fundable with autism bucks
Used by pathetic neckband living in their mother's basement

Why haven't you replaced your Piss bottle stash yet anon?
>>
>>949910
>Diapers:
need to get autism bucks to obtain them free
cannot be worn under clothing without it being noticed
very limited capacity unless you obtain huge ones
leads to rashes
leads to smelling like piss and shit
used by manchildren with adult baby fetishes that cant handle being an adult so they revert to infancy for an escape.

>bottles
can cap off to prevent spillage
can cap off to contain smell
fundable with food stamps
reusable
allows you to stay dry
allows you to not smell like waste 24/7
if you cant contain feces then you just arnt trying hard enough
used by environmentally aware gentlemen
>>
>>949911
Latest gen diaper technology is very unlikely to give lead to rashes except in cases of neglect, and even concealable diapers are rated for up to 24oz which is two relatively full bladders.
>>
Well as someone who is NASA-STD-8739.3 (HRHS) qualified I think I am more than able to give you soldering advice.

You should always strive to use an iron that is temperature controlled from a soldering station, not from the iron itself.
You should always use lead solder where possible. Pb free solder is shit and doesnt make a shiny fillet.

There are specific techniques for discrete/through-hole/smt/wire soldering, it is not as easy as shoving an iron in at the 45 and throwing solder at it. Always look up the technique relevant to the specific component you are soldering.
>>
>>949913
my full bladder is anywhere from 16 oz to 32 oz. that is a single use. and there are no concealable diapers, it will add inches to your ass and it will give you a weird sounds when you walk.
everyone is going to know are are wearing it.

it never ceases to amaze me just how delusional you diaper fetishists are.
>>
>>949934
>32oz bladder

Maybe if you had urinary retention.

You clearly have no experience wearing diapers. Maybe you should leave this to the professionals.
>>
>>949938
>urinary retention
probably, shits fucked up.
>professionals
>freaks
ftfy
>>
>>949941
Professional freaks.
>>
Why is everybody taking about diapers? Thought it was about soldering?

Also bottles are best. Place in open location and someone will try to drink it.
>>
>>950049
For best effect, use a snapple bottle.
>>
>>950049
Well, it depends how long you have to solder for...
>>
>>950169
>depends
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.