[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bathroom Ceiling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: ceiling2.jpg (97 KB, 700x933) Image search: [Google]
ceiling2.jpg
97 KB, 700x933
Sup /diy/

I recently bought a condo and on the bathroom ceiling were a few issues. Basically there was peeling paint from moisture. The basic fix I've seen online is to scrape the paint, sand down any rough areas, use patching compound, smooth it out, prime it with anti-moisture stuff and then repaint.

I've got the scraping and sanding and will start using the compound soon. But there is an area on my ceiling that seems to be all the way down to the concrete. See the pic.

At it's widest, it's a few inches long. But it's not too deep. I'm wondering what the best way would be to fix this. Could a patching compound work for this also, depsite it's larger and more than just a layer of paint? Or should I go about it some other way? Possibly some mesh adhesive and then a compound or something?

The general work seems fairly straight forward, but this one part of the ceiling concerns me.
>>
>>947212
>peeling paint from moisture.
>area on my ceiling
>Or should I go about it some other way?
Yes, fix the source of the moisture first or everything else you do will be a waste of time and money. If it's something beyond your control like the roof leaking or the tenant above you has leaking plumbing you need to inform the people responsible like the condo owners association.
>>
>>947311

You missed what I was trying to say. The source is fixed. I need to know how to repair that particular area I showed. Can i do it like the other areas with the patching compound or since it's a bit larger and a few layers do I have to use a different method?
>>
>>947379
Sorry I missed what you thought but failed to mention, >accusemeplease.jpg.
>a bit larger and a few layers
If it was me I'd want to peel up those layers then go beyond that and check for rotted wood.
You mentioned something about concrete but is it just plaster or stucco.
I'd look for something more than just a band-aid by patching since you don't know anything about this place even if you plan to just rent it out.
Find out what those layers are first.
If plasterboard/drywall just cut that section out and replace it with another piece the same size and held there by a mesh and plaster/exterior spackle paste but ideally cut-out to joists on either side and replace with drywall the same size and screw into place with drywall screws, tape and spackle, primer/paint.
>>
>>947797
>held there by a mesh and plaster/exterior spackle paste

The mesh is on the back side, spackled and held by thread through a hole(S) you drill in the new drywall piece you sized to the cut-out in the ceiling. Keeping in mid this will take a couple or more passes with the spackle (concentrate on the gaps first. Let dry a day then apply more spackle, the next thinner coats take less time to dry. Probably allow 4 hours. If you need to match a texture buy a can and warm it up in the sink, shaking it periodically.
Read directions for fine/course. If it doesn't look right wipe it up with a rag and double check the try again. I've had good luck with Homax.
>>
This page explains it step by step better than I did.
https://www.truevalueprojects.com/paint/interior/holiday_updates/patch_and_repaint_walls.aspx
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.