[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
V-Twin top end rebuild
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: WP_20160208_20_21_25_Pro.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160208_20_21_25_Pro.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
Hey, /diy/

I helped my friend pull his bike motor so I could rebuild the pistons. As of now we are waiting on head gaskets which are on back order. Is there anything I can do while waiting for those as far as bettering performance on the cheap or just maintenance? I've lapped all four valves and port matched his intakes as they had a slight lip the overhung the carb boot.
>>
>>946572
Pic related: First lap job I've done, how does it look?
>>
Weigh each con rod/piston combo and file minute amounts off each heavier con rod until they weigh the same. Perhaps take the crank in and get it balanced. Plenty of info out there on blueprinting engines.
>>
Port and polish, although it's easier if you take plays and while the engine is running and let it get sucked in the the air intake
>>
>>946595
Play sand
>>
I wouldn't just start cutting without knowing more, but you can probably find enthusiast forums with information about this specific engine and recommendations for headwork, like maybe unshrouding the valves. It would be pretty easy to do it unevenly though and I would imagine that's a bigger problem for a small bike engine.

If you're getting a special aftermarket head gasket, like a Cometic MLS or something, there may be a specific surface finish that the manufacturer calls for. It's worth checking the head to make sure it's flat either way.
>>
>>946595
Troll fail. Fucking retard
>>
>>946756
It's not a troll, it's an old copy pasta. You must be new
>>
>>946762
>old stale pasta
>NOT A TROLL

Pick one...

>>946572
Lap looks good OP.

Not much you can really do.. Maybe balance the carbs now while you wait and charge the battery... Flush the water radiator clean if you got one. Dont flush an oil radiator tho. Not with water at least.
>>
>>946779
You have a tumblr definition of trolling friend
>>
>>946572
what else should i do?
>gasket material still stuck to surface
take it to a head shop and get them to machine the block and head mating surfaces.

for a 4cyl engine head they charge 60$AU (or about 30USD) here. so maybe that for both surfaces. depending on how far you want to go they can also machine the ports as well. there is a little more to a valve job than just lapping. there's some fancy three beveled edge. they can also check the straightness of the everything as mentioned before. camshaft, crank, valves.
>>
>>947214
Ahh, you must be one of these 13 year olds who think calling his teacher a nigger is trolling. Got it.
>>
>>947294
>>947292
>>947214
MODS
>>
>>947248
That isn't gasket material though. It's a sort of black stain, the head gaskets are metal. I'm not sure what it could be from, but the mating surface is smooth.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.