[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old are your tools /diy/? I'm curious what power and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: oldrustytools.jpg (11 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
oldrustytools.jpg
11 KB, 299x168
How old are your tools /diy/? I'm curious what power and hand tools people are still packin.
>>
File: drill.jpg (7 KB, 169x225) Image search: [Google]
drill.jpg
7 KB, 169x225
They range from a couple of years to way back.

About the oldest substantial tool I have is pic related but mine is red.
>>
i have lots of hand tools that have been passed down a few times so plenty of shit that dates back to the early 1900s. might be some even older but without any date stamps it's hard to know for sure
>>
>>946312
When I need a tool I hunt for them in yard sales and antique shops. I think the oldest thing I have a Universal #2 Food Chopper (Landers, Frary & Clark) and wood planer, both from the late 1800s and tons of stuff from 1900-1950.

>>946336
Do want.
>>
File: marking gauge.jpg (62 KB, 800x414) Image search: [Google]
marking gauge.jpg
62 KB, 800x414
>>946312
I inherited a wooden marking gauge from my great grandfather. It's 100 years old, and even the screw is made of wood. It looks a lot like pic related.
>>
some of my starrett stuff is marked USAAF

that's about as i've got
>>
>>946312
My great grandfather was a contractor, died in the 30's, and when I was a kid in my grandfather's shop I was using a small finishing hammer for something. Don't even remember what, I just saw it and it fit my 8 year old hand perfectly, might've been a 6oz hammer? He came in, saw me, stopped me semi-seriously, and told me, "That was my father's, it went through a fire and that softened the head so it's not really usable for driving nails. Don't ever use that again." The handle looked original to me, her may have been playing me, I don't know. In any case, I've wanted that hammer so bad for almost 40 years now! I have to wait for my uncle to pass it to me though. Funny how a little thing like a 6oz finishing hammer could bring out such a strong reaction.
>>
>>946312
My great grandfather was going to give me a large selection of rather nice hand tools, old stanley, craftsman, and a lot of other brands I don't remember.

I never got them because he lives many states away and that half of my family are good for nothing crackheads who ended up stealing it and selling it all before the will hearing.
>>
I have a large stash of Mathieson engineer's tools from the mid 1920's at latest, inherited from a distant cousin - drill bits, lathe dead centres, taps and dies in Whitworth and BA standard, and a lovely Mathieson gauge plate I use regularly. The Mathieson cast steel drill bits are some of the best HSS steel I've ever used - they outperform Dormer and Beta Ti Nitride drill bits in some ways.

A Metabo hand drill that's probably from the 1930's, but might be late 20's is still the best hand drill I've ever used, and in some ways out-performs my modern Black and Decker power drill - I use that regularly for wood and softer metals, and is good enough to be able to drill carbon steel accurately. I often use it for making pilot holes before going out to use my modern pillar drill.

A set of chisels, mostly by Robert Sorby might well be 20's too, but are likely 30's. Same for a couple of Starret callipers (internal and external measuring) of various sizes. A couple of Bailey and Stanley planes might well be of the same date, but they're such common castings they could as easily be 1900, or 1960's manufacture.

I have a set of saws that are certainly older, one crosscut saw is by a company that folded in 1914, so is probably a fair bit older still.

and I have a wrought iron and steel engineer's square that's dated 1851, which I use regularly for my work.
>>
>>946448
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
>>
>>946525
>Mathieson
google does tell me what that is, what is that?
brand name or type of engineering?
>>
>>946542
Brand.

Alexander Mathieson & Sons tool works was a glasgow company, established in 1792, who supplied the shipbuilding trade, particularly with planes. they later spread out into other tools, and by the 19th C had planes, drills, bit and braces, and all sorts of kit. they entered into more steel-working in the late 19th C, with a foundry called the Saracen Steel Works, which lasted till the 1960's

they made some of the very best steel tools around, their planes in particular.
>>
>>946599
neat
>>
>>946312
I have a 60 year old drill, my grandfather bought from Spiegels (made by Cummings) it has one speed, I recently rebuilt it and fixed a broken winding, it works good as new.

I have hand tools that are also from my grandfather age unknown.

The rest of my hand tools are from the late 80's on up.

I have a lot of electronic test equipment from the early 50's up to 80's.

I have several DMM from the eighties up to present day.
>>
File: spoon.jpg (785 KB, 1564x1564) Image search: [Google]
spoon.jpg
785 KB, 1564x1564
i DIY'd this eating tool just now :D
>>
>>946626
>black inventors
lol
congrats 2 u jamal
>>
>>946634
why thank you Master
>>
My anvil predates the American Civil war
>>
>>946312
I have 50 year old wood planes, one of the categories where older can be both cheaper and better. Also have some equally old hulking 6, 8 and 12 inch squares, things of beauty. Many pre-globalisation tools are fantastic quality.
>>946336
Hand powered pillar drill? Must find me one. Guess they ain't cheap though.
>>946406
ww2 surplus? Some high quality stuff for bargain price. Can't afford Starret myself.
>>946599
So many good iron and steel companies, all history now. At least we can find what's left on ebay.
>>
File: $_1.JPG(2).jpg (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
$_1.JPG(2).jpg
18 KB, 400x300
>>947112
Forgot picture. The weight of these things is immense, I don't trust aluminium squares.
>>
>>947112
>Hand powered pillar drill? Must find me one.

If you just want a drill press buy a newer motorised one. Mine does not drill super straight. No idea on price. I inherited it. It can drill largish holes through steel which has been what I have used it for mainly.
>>
>>946645
>whitewashing your speech
Good job Tom

"Tank you massa!"
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.