[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My favorite rust preventative/ general use lubricant has been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_9284-0.jpg (51 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9284-0.jpg
51 KB, 533x800
My favorite rust preventative/ general use lubricant has been discontinued for a while now ;_;

I'm still searching for a product that beats it. Now I either suffer rusty tools or tools that grow fur from the dust sticking to the oil.

What do you use? .
>>
>rusty tools
you're buying the wrong tools
>>
>>945433
I just use INOX MX3. You Americunts might not be able to get it tho.
>>
>>945437
even the best quality tools rust given the right conditions.

>>945443
that shit is too expensive. kerosene. I only use inox for sealed components or engine blocks.
>>
>>945433

WD40
>>
>>945466
How do you keep the dirt and grit off the tool
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
I use gun oil. More specifically this gun oil.

Apply to a rage/cheesecloth and wipe it down after its clean. No dust buildup, and no greasy feel like WD40
>>
kleenflo PWD with PTFE

that should be basically the same as what you have there
>>
>>945568

By not being a lazy fuck and cleaning the workspace.
>>
I usually wipe off my tools after I finish a project keeps them pretty rust free.

On every few months I give the moving parts a squirt of 3 in 1 or fluidfilm
>>
HoW much cost spray bottles in your tool store
>Tfw in Germany
>Spray paint 12€
>Brake cleaner 6€
>Wd40 smallest bottle 4€
>Large Wd40 I think 14 €
Price per bottle
>>
>>945437
The best tools rust. High carbon steel and all.
>>
>>945433
As a noob I used wd40.
I've now upgraded to 3inOne oil, it lasts longer, and it creeps into gaps. Also cheap. I should probably upgrade, some wood glue created rust spots on my square.

Some people swear by beeswax, never tried it myself.

>>945437
Old tools rust easily, but many are too beautifully made to replace. The old style iron and steel isn't affordable anymore. Also wood planes.
>>
>>945433
I regularly wipe down with 3 in one oil, but also I keep a 500g bag of silica gel in my tool box. Silica gel is cheap (amazon/ebay) and reusable and keeps the all the tools happy dry.

I dunno about these teflon/ptfe lubricant sprays, can they rub off onto wood?
>>
I use GT85. It's essentially WD-40 with added teflon.
>>
>>945433
>My favorite rust preventative/ general use lubricant has been discontinued for a while now ;_;
if the pic is what you speak of, then it may not be discontinued. DuPont sold the same product in two different cans.
The Teflon Multi-Use lube is/was also sold in a yellow can, marked as DuPont Teflon Chain Saver. It's the exact same stuff in both cans. The Multi-Use was sold in retail stores for the little people, and the Chain Saver was sold through industrial outlets.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.