[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have cordless saw technology come far enough for a professional
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: milwaukee-cordless.jpg (46 KB, 480x400) Image search: [Google]
milwaukee-cordless.jpg
46 KB, 480x400
Have cordless saw technology come far enough for a professional to be justified in buying it over its corded counterpart?
>>
No.

The power is much closer to a corded saw but a corded saw is still king. More power and infinite run time.
>>
>>945355
> justified in buying it over its corded counterpart?

The 18v cordless lithium saws are very capable saws.
The question doesnt make sense though, a professional is obviously going to use corded tools for money cuts and other important stuff.

The tools are for when you need to make a cut when you are not near your corded stuff, where taking a cord would be hard or dangerous.

And yes, its justifiable to some depending on the trade.
>>
>>945355
>>945380
This.

Yes but no.
I have both and use both. for money cuts you want to use corded. It's all right tool for the right job
>>
>>945355
I use my milwaukee cordless for everything, it's wonderful. I just have 2 batteries in the shop dedicated to it, I like working without being attached to something whenever possible
>>
And what about gas powered saws?

Like the one ine call of dury 4 where you break into this russian facility.
>>
It has it's place. It's place is on the job site where power isn't.

They can't compete with corded saws, but that isn't the point.

>>945584
Gas powered saws are for remote locations and/or where a lot of power is required. Concrete saws are generally gas powered since they need the power. Also used in remote areas.
>>
>>945584
Those are for concrete or demo work.

There's no use case for those in woodbased construction. Maybe some crazy mason uses it for his bricks but it's not typical.
>>
It has its uses. Everyone doesn't always have permanent power and or is willing to haul a generator around.
>>
>battery line becomes obsolete
>existing battery degrades until it is useless
>your tool is worthless

I'm still using a 20 yr old Dewalt circ saw and it runs like new.

Alright, I have a new cordless drill and driver but those are basically disposables.
>>
>>945741
True, but really think about it. They have finally hit a sweet spot for power and run time with the lithiums.
If you buy a Dewalt or Milwaukee their battery lines arent going away any time soon.

Pros have long since got into a batter line for their drills, so its not that much of a jump to get a circular saw.
>>
>>945744
>Pros have long since got into a batter line for their drills, so its not that much of a jump to get a circular saw.

My neighbour was making fun at my brand new 20V Dewalt circular saw. "Use it once on a serious job site and your name is gone!"
>>
>>945741
Batteries can be repacked for less than the cost of a new pack from a current production run, even cheaper if you do it yourself. It's more of a hassle than being able to go and pick up a new one, but if you like the benefits it outweighs the hassle every few years. If any of my m18 batteries go I know where to buy new cells and how to install them so I'm not concerned about that. I prefer it than to have to run an extension cord into an attic or crawl space every once in a blue moon.
>>
>>945989
Your neighbor is a jackass, I've worked on serious jobsites(including 2 where fluor was the general contractor) and I saw dewalt cordless or an equivalent on them. Most of us can afford corded tools as well as cordless, and use whatever works the best for a given application.
>>
>>945355
I'd buy this saw. They have m18 in 9 AH now. BUT is expensive. Depends on the site, job and what equipment you already run.
>>
>>945355
Depends entirely on how much you need to move around whilst you're working and if there's no easy access to cables. I don't think you can go wrong if you buy one if you have the extra cash, I find they're useful and last a long time, providing you know what you're doing with them.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.