[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you know much about knots? Can you tie knots that you are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12
File: Figureof8knot.jpg (9 KB, 388x130) Image search: [Google]
Figureof8knot.jpg
9 KB, 388x130
Do you know much about knots?

Can you tie knots that you are sure won't slip and fail you?
>>
Nope. I can barely even tie my shoes. I wear sandals most of the time, even on a worksite.
>>
Yes.
>>
Yes i can.

german firefighter here.
>>
Of course. I can also sharpen a knife. I'm honestly surprised at how many people (young and old) can do neither.
>>
>>>/hc/
>>
Former boy scout here.

I barely remember my stuff but I can still remember a handful of lashings and basic knots.

Pretty handy, but I've never needed to use it.
>>
>>945082
I don't think this is relevant.

>>945083
I didn't need to know how to tie knots until I started working with building materials like lumber etc.

There are certain jobs where it's necessary.

That being said, what are everyone's go to knots for doing certain things?

If I'm tying to a pole, my favorite is either a double round double half hitch. If I need a super taut line over something, truckie's hitch obviously. Taut line knot serves well to take quite a bit of tension out of a line and makes a pretty handy knot for when you want to make a belt out of a rope. When I want to join the ends of two ropes, Ashley's bend seems to work the best.

There's a plethora of knots, bends, and hitches that are all situational.
>>
>>945067
No knot a lot.
>>
>>945067
Fisherman knits I know them all. Also use the old age philosophy don't know knots tie lots
>>
>>945111
>baka senpai

And that is how you lose a load of lumber while going down the interstate.
>>
>>945086
i think its very relevant >>>/hc/866707
>>
File: IMG_20160211_142406.jpg (423 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160211_142406.jpg
423 KB, 1920x2560
>>945113

>implying you need to tie shit down

>tfw those two guys have to unload the truck by hand several times a day.
>>
File: Stein_knot_AKA_stone_knot.jpg (2 MB, 1704x2272) Image search: [Google]
Stein_knot_AKA_stone_knot.jpg
2 MB, 1704x2272
I am just using the Stein/8-knot for climbing and find it realtiv simple and easy to handle.
>>
>>945067
only knotting I know involves dogs
>>
>>945474
The only post that I understood in this thread. Weird.
>>
File: knots1.jpg (235 KB, 640x417) Image search: [Google]
knots1.jpg
235 KB, 640x417
Sailor here. Any sailing book will have knots with explanation. Different for same size rope, different for easy release and some marked "never use as they slip with load"
>>
>>945153
What are load straps?
>>
Bowline for tying shit to other shit, figure eight followthrough for holding people, and half hitch for towing or pulling shit. All the knots i use
>>
>>945067
Figure eight on a bight, safety knot, clovehitch, bowline, square knot
>>
No, but I'm really quick with zip ties, ratchet straps, come-alongs, and chain hasps.
>>
>>945509

I don't see a bowline anywhere on that chart.
>>
>>945534
>safety knot
What are you calling a safety knot? Google is showing me about four or five different ones.
>>
>>945067
my favorite unusual knot is a butterfly knot, since it doesn't slip and you can tie it in the middle of a piece of rope. makes a good handhold, or just to get rid of some slack.
>>
Sorry, I only deal in Artesian Knots
>>
>>945086
Pretty much the same here. Didn't really know shit about shit until I started doing stuff for myself. Then had to learn.

Truckie hitch is fucking goat but I can't tie it quickly, I keep a couple of ratcheting strops in my vehicle just because I can never be fucked tying this knot.

Otherwise figure 8 plus it's variations seems to take care if most things. A couple of other knots are handy though, like butterfly hitch, sheet bend, I only know a very few and am put to shame by both my dad, and by my mate an ex eagle scout.
>>
>>945067
Shibaru
>>
File: 220px-CarrickBendCapsizingSmall.gif (142 KB, 220x208) Image search: [Google]
220px-CarrickBendCapsizingSmall.gif
142 KB, 220x208
>>945067
Yes and yes. Some time ago, I decided that it would be worthwhile to get a knowledge of knots, so I researched them, read Ashley's book of Knots, visited the IGKT forum, etc. More than learning particular knots, I've learned how knots work, so I can adapt them to different situations and develop new ones.

Some knots I use regularly:

Bends:
Grass bend - temporary or on difficult-to untie things like string or rough but stretchy rope
Zeppelin bend - general purpose
Double fisherman's knot - permanent mid-strength connection
knot of my own invention - stronger and more secure than Ashley's bend, comparable to blood knot but more compact than Zeppelin bend and non-jamming - in place of splice or fishing knot when making a high-strength connection

Loops:
Bowline - general use on natural fibers. I use a more secure variant on synthetics.
Butterfly loop - midline loop
knot of my own invention - stronger than figure-nine followthrough, post-eye-tiable, impervious to jamming - high-strength loops

Hitches:
Gnat hitch - general use. I use a "gripping" variant if it needs to resist slippage along an object, like hanging a rope from an icicle
Multiple half hitches - when something needs to be secured while under tension
Buntline hitch - permanent
Taut-line hitch - adjustable tension/length hitch, I use a reinforced variant for slippery rope or rough conditions

Binding knots:
Reef knot - general light/temporary use. Double slipped for shoelaces
Constrictor knot - general heavy/permanent use
Gleipnir knot - temporary binding of oddly-shaped stuff
Trucker's hitch / versatackle - specific variants adapted to specific situations that need mechanically-advantaged binding

Stoppers:
Overhand stopper - quick-and-dirty knob at the end of a rope
Ashley's stopper - bigger and well-balanced stopper for when the end of a rope will be carrying a load
>>
>>945648
isn't it shibari
>>
>>945615
>sheet bend
The sheet bend can be rather unstable on modern synthetic ropes (it's fine on most natural fibers), and it's also one of the weakest bends (though some variants are suitable for joining ropes of very different sizes). It can also easily be tied backwards to produce an even worse knot. I'd avoid it.
>>
I actually like to use the anchor knot when at all possible, usually with a truckers hitch. I like it mostly because I've never had an anchor knot that hasn't come apart after being loaded down real heavy.

Square knots come in handy every now and then if a rope happens to break.
>>
File: which is it.png (5 KB, 200x130) Image search: [Google]
which is it.png
5 KB, 200x130
I'm just now appreciating my scoutmaster who could tell a square knot from a granny from 30 feet away. He'd come over and eye all the knots up and pull on them, and explain why the bowline wasn't right or, well, you get the idea.
>>
File: housepets peanut sadface.png (24 KB, 125x133) Image search: [Google]
housepets peanut sadface.png
24 KB, 125x133
>>945493

I'm not sure if I should feel bad for being in the same boat.
>>
File: grass bend.jpg (90 KB, 670x442) Image search: [Google]
grass bend.jpg
90 KB, 670x442
>>945708
>my scoutmaster who could tell a square knot from a granny from 30 feet away
In a square knot, the working ends typically lay in line with the rope, while in a granny, they tend to lay across at close to ninety degrees. I've used double-slipped granny knots as decorative bows for that reason.

And that's a granny in your image. Or a grief knot in its slipping configuration, depending on how it's loaded. In its locking configuration, it's called a grass bend, and is a very useful knot. The ability to switch between the locking and slipping forms lets you untie knots in string, twine, or other stuff that must usually be cut, but it makes it unsuitable for long-term or safety-critical applications. On rougher ropes where it will break before slipping, it is also an extremely strong knot.
>>
>>945709
are /diy/ furfags the new /k/ furfags?
>>
>>945083
Another Boy Scout here. I remember exactly 4 knots offhand; Square, overhand, half hitch(and derivatives), and clove hitch.
Though I could probably tie a bowline if I had to.

I don't use many knots often enough to remember them, though if take a quick look at my knot card it comes back pretty quickly.
>>
Almost all my knot knowledge is fishing related. So if it will work on nylon or hemp rope the same why it will on monofilament then I can use them.

Post knot gripes

>multiple overhand knots as security or as primary.
>square knot for anything critical
>frayed hemp ends flapping around
>>
File: $_35[1].jpg (26 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
$_35[1].jpg
26 KB, 300x225
>>945543
if I remember correctly it's on the back.
>>
When I was about 10 or 11 I went full-aspergers about knots. I spent countless hours practicing tying knots. I read entire books solely about knots. I learned how to tie all kinds of knots - stop knots, loop knots, bends, hitches, even lashings, whippings and a splice or two. I even learned knots that had no useful purpose other than decoration. I learned when to (and not to) use a sheet bend in favor of a square knot, and how to distinguish the latter from a thief's knot. I I've since forgotten about half of all I learned back then, but I still remember all the important stuff, and then some.
>>
>>945830
I fucking hate the crowd that thinks tying a lot can replace 1-2 well placed, well tied appropriate knots.

>worked at Lowe's for a few years as a lumber loader
>watch guy try to tie in 5-6 pieces of 3/4 in plywood with a piece of baling twine
>proceeds to speed off, cut a hard left and dump it all in the parking lot
>act like I didn't see it and go to lunch
>>
>>946107
Kek, you see some pretty dodgy loads going out of hardware stores

Used to work with this sour old builder called Gordon who did the same, just tied and tied and tied until he had a mess of a knot. Called it the Gordy knot. Meanwhile Fred over there just tried the other side down with a round turn and two half hitches and was finished half an hour ago.
>>
Bowline, for damn near everything. I've never seen it slip or get loose and it's easy to untie, trusted my life to it several times.
>>
>>946135
round turn two half hitches + truckies/trucker's hitch and you can secure virtually any load.
>>
File: %22><t.jpg (78 KB, 560x415) Image search: [Google]
%22><t.jpg
78 KB, 560x415
what's the biggest thing you've used this setup on?
>>
>>945801

I didn't even know /k/ had their own furfags.
>>
>>946162
>>946163
If you're asking me, I've used it to handle like 15-20 2x4 studs.

It really depends on how you're carrying it. If you're carrying a massive bundle of lumber on a trailer, you need to go to the ratchet straps. If you're just carrying some lumber in the back of your truck, it's feasible to use rope for that.
>>
File: Waterbowline.jpg (76 KB, 300x503) Image search: [Google]
Waterbowline.jpg
76 KB, 300x503
>>946150
Bowlines are quite secure on natural fiber ropes, but on synthetics, especially new/smoother ropes, it can come loose when subjected to multiple load/slack cycles, or when allowed to flap around and bang into things. Hence the search for a bowline "lock" that maintains the desirable qualities of a bowline.

I recommend the water bowline for general use in difficult situations since it's such a simple matter to add an extra loop, though more complex locks offer greater compactness and stability.

>>946169
Back in the day, before ratchet straps, large loads were secured with ropes. It's just a hassle to put together the more complex lashings needed when ratchet straps are available.
>>
>>946175
The bowline I started using involves having the line come back through the hole, and then around one of the lines and back through the hole again. Then you tie some sort of stopper knot on the lose end that you've fed twice through the hole. Makes it very secure.

Also, the reason I suggest ratchet straps is because most people don't have the knowledge or the patience to tie the proper lashings.
>>
I'm on old Boy Scout, so I remember a few reliable knots, but I never did understand more than a few.
I did figure out a slipknot on my own, so that's cool.
>>
>>946180
>Makes it very secure.
Yeah, that should do it. Sounds like it might be a climbing variant.

And I use ratchet straps myself when I have them on hand. Though I do use ropes if I need to make a net for loose stuff.
>>
I work in film.

Pretty much live and die by the bowline, clove hitch, and trucker's hitch. Use them for hoisting things up to platforms, lowering things safely to the ground, tying down large grip fabrics in the wind, and so forth.

Working on a few others but this
>>945540
makes traditional rope work less for light/repetitive chores like securing loads in a truck.

I know guys who have a special knot for every occasion, but it strikes me as more of a hobby or something to show off in a pinch...
>>
>>945067
I use a bowline and clove hitch frequently. Square knot is surprisingly useful. Double beckett bend has saved me some grief on occasion. Round turn with 2 half hitches is a good placeholder, while a figure 8 knot will keep your bitter end available.

Timber hitch and barrel hitch are both knots that you never need until you need them badly.

If you ever deal with wire rope, learn how to do a Molly Hogan.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.