[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LED blinkys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
So I'm looking for something like pic related for a prop build.

Catch is, it will be flashing up a section of side-lit fiberoptic cable, and it needs to be really damn bright to show up on camera.

My mini maglite would be just barely bright enough.

So I'm looking for good vendors for rave toys and the like, and/or a recommendation for a blinky that is extremely bright!
>>
>>944829
The brightest you can get with that size is a 1 watt ultra-brite LED, and even they're quite big. They are also probably dimmer than your maglite.
>>
>>944838
Any chance you could point me to a source? I'll take what I can get.

I should also say, I can chop in a new power supply (maybe as large as a couple AA batteries). I just don't know how to make a tiny little blinker circuit like that. The light source itself has to be pretty compact though.
>>
ws2812 or apa102 strips are bright as fuck!
>>
File: 518-00.jpg (153 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
518-00.jpg
153 KB, 1200x900
>>944857
They look like this. The black thing is a heatsink because they get really hot.

I usually get mine from digikey if I'm ordering other stuff or get them real cheap from alibaba or eBay.

A blinker circuit is a simple 555 timer with a few resistors and a capacitor or two depending on how you want them to blink.
>>
>>944894
Forgot to mention, with the heat sink, it's about the size of a penny.

They also come without the heatsink if you're pressed for space.

Btw, the picture in your OP doesn't actually have LEDs.
>>
get a Cree CXA3590
>>
>>944894
>>944897
I have the skill to build that sort of blinker circuit, but I'm not sure I'll have room in the build for a circuit board. It'll be a bit of a trick just to hide a couple battery holders on board.
>>
>>944897
> Btw, the picture in your OP doesn't actually have LEDs.

What are they? I used to have a ton of those from my raver days.
>>
>>945164
What you see are the pads for the surface mount LEDs. I'm assuming the ones they'll actually sell will have the LEDs soldered on.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.