[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/ relative newcomer here. I'm interested in robots/drones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: robit.jpg (12 KB, 244x226) Image search: [Google]
robit.jpg
12 KB, 244x226
Hey /diy/ relative newcomer here. I'm interested in robots/drones and robot/drone accessories. Specifically I wanted to purchase a 3D printer and make the robots myself. What are the best places for the cameras and guts and such? There are a lot of places that sell these things but I was wondering what you guys recommend. I was going to make a cat toy as my first project. It would be a little RC bird/mouse hybrid thing capable of flying and driving around the house and obviously be durable enough to resist the kittys claws and teeth. Probably won't happen for a while but will post results if I ever get my life on track and can afford this hobby.
>>
>>944526
Before you start fucking around with money for 3D printers, I would recommend getting an arduino kit and starting off with small simple projects. Also, I would reconsider trying to make a robot toy for a cat, seems like a waste of money in broken parts and materials.
>>
>>944531
Arduino looks like cool shit, would definitely learn a lot.

As for the cat toy, I would just use it as a learning experience. And I would find out if I really wanted to continue down the path of making robots. Plus I want a 3D printer period. Shit is just plain cool and I'm sure there are things I'd want to do with it I haven't even thought of yet.
>>
>>944537
3d printers are awesome. I have a printrbot simple and a velleman k8200. You'll love it but it's not plug and play shit. There's a steep learning curve.
Anyway, I suggest you start from a project such as Polargraph (Google it). Limited moving parts, and you can code your own driving software as an exercise.
>>
>>944526
For cat toys, spherical body and everything enclosed inside. Cat proof.
>>
File: cat toy tank.jpg (106 KB, 600x413) Image search: [Google]
cat toy tank.jpg
106 KB, 600x413
>>944538
Cool shit, will definitely consider. Plus the coding experience will definitely be needed.

>>944540
So basically pic related. Would probably work pretty good. Even if it's just a roll cage. Ideally I'd want it to fly too but that might be asking too much.
>>
>>944550
Flying is fucking hard. When you managed you have a bot rolling, then try with something that flies.
You might make it jump though. Easier.
>>
Hobbyking
>>
>> flying
So how you gonna make it fly without being fragile, or causing injury to cats.

If you just want to fuck around with rc, get a cheap RC receiver and transmitter, everything else is plug and play from there
>>
>>944575
Jumping sounds like an awesome idea, I didn't even think of that. But yeah I guess I should make something that rolls at least before making something that flies.

>>944736
I was thinking some sort of cage or casing or both around the rotors. Any fast moving parts would be inaccessible to the cat, except the wheels which would be soft enough to claw and bite anyway. Now that I think about it it might be tough to make everything able to bear the cats full weight, but i thought it would be a good exercise in making something safe and durable.
>>
>>944730
Thanks anon, pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'm very pleasantly surprised by the servos, way cheaper than I thought they'd be. And dem power-to-weight ratios, goddamn.
>>
Pololu is another store. Then of course amazon and ebay.
>>
>>944762
Good shit more options ty.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.