[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, Quick electrical question. I have a 220v outlet with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 3feb-dog-walk-wwpics-431.jpg (24 KB, 309x300) Image search: [Google]
3feb-dog-walk-wwpics-431.jpg
24 KB, 309x300
Hey guys,
Quick electrical question.

I have a 220v outlet with a 30 amp breaker. Can I plug a 220-110 step down transformer to the the 220v outlet and run more than 30 amps on 110v?
>>
half the voltage, double the current. so, yes.

problem is finding a 60A 110V x-former, it's gonna be huge and expensive.
>>
File: sp101.jpg (101 KB, 294x400) Image search: [Google]
sp101.jpg
101 KB, 294x400
There's site transformers like this that are 10kVa and output 2x32amp or 4x16amp
>>
>>944512
You could use more than one step down transformer though
>>
>>944508
>>944512
Nope. The breaker will trigger at 30A, no matter the voltage is. Sure, it will be beside the orignial characteristic, so you might get a few more amps. The voltage shown at the breaker ist only for arc interruption. alos, google is your friend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_breaker
>>
>>944508
If you're in the us you don't need a transformer, you need a plug. One side to neutral is still 110v
>>
>>944582

you're confused. the rule of thumb for a x-former is 'power in = power out', so 60A on the secondary only requires 30A on the primary to make the equation true. the breaker will not blow with 30A on the secondary, coz it's just passing the 15A the primary needs.
>>
>>944512

Here we can get 6000 watt output 220-110 stepdown transformers off the shelf in your average hardware or electrical store.

While they are expensive they are fairly compact in size 10"x8"x6".
>>
>>944588
you're right, i see. i only looked at the 30A breaker, thst surely will trigger in the current exceeds the 30A. But with the (step down) transformator OP will get 60A@110V - or 120A@55V and so on. my fault.
>>
>>944508
what are watts
>>
>>944582

If this were true, transmission lines would need to be like 25 feet in diameter.

The wattage is constant, but the volts and amps are inverse.
>>
>>944642

Before I understood it I always wondered why a 150KW generator needed a 75-95 mm cable (depending on distance) and the power company could send power to 10's of thousands of people through 75mm cable. If it is even that fat.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.