[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any way to polish these with simple tools like a dremel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: smokey quartz.jpg (36 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
smokey quartz.jpg
36 KB, 700x525
Is there any way to polish these with simple tools like a dremel?
>>
>>943502
flap wheel
>>
>>943503
But the glass on sandpaper is softer than quartz
>>
>>943504
>glass
aluminum oxide is 9.0 on mohs scale, quartz is 7
>>
>>943512
Cool. Wikipedia says it can also be garnet.
>>
>>943502
Build a simple rock tumbler
>>
>>943528
Interesting. Can I use crushed river stones as media? I'm thinking something I don't have to buy
>>
>>943530
The media is very cheap and available at most hobby stores. It's not feasible to self produce very fine grit media at home. Or at least I'm not aware of any ways. As for the tumbler, get a small electric motor, even a drill with variable speed, jb weld a shafts onto a drum big enough to hold the stoned and give it a gasket seeley to keep in water and media. Turn it on and wait two days. The stones should be VERY smooth.
>>
>>943528
That'd be a shame, that would totally ruin the cool cleavage.
>>
>>943528
Just and FYI OP, this will turn the quartz into a dildo.
>>
>>943552

OP just chose the 1 day shipping for rock tumbler at amazon
>>
>>943554
Nigga for the price of a rock tumbler I can call the chinese guy up and tell him to send me 10 more crystals.
>>
>>943552
Quartz is hard AF. it will take longer than other stones to polish. And if he uses only very very fine media it will not round edges to the extent a rough media will.
>>
Quartz dildo needs to become a thing. If I ever get rich I'm sure as fuck manufacturing some, just you guys see
>>
>>943691
The marketing possibilities alone are endless! Wait... Is this the same OP that wanted to know how to drill through quartz? Was that really for the motor and battery shaft for a quartz "massage appliance?" OP, you may well be brilliant!
>>
>>943701
That was not me, but keep the ideas coming. Women will be killing each other to lay their hands and vaginas on our exclusive products!
>>
>>943703
Market them to the crystal power crowd. You will make millions. My hippy waifu might even buy one...
>>
>>943704
Actually, there'd be crystal, a magnet in the motor, and copper in there as well: the trifecta of modern snake oil b.s. remedies! Clears up a your arthritis, gout, lumbago... you name it... all while increasing your heart rate and burning calories with every use! We need to get 6-axis robot guy in on this.
>>
>We need to get 6-axis robot guy in on this.

The greatest minds of /diy/ come together to create something that the whole board can be proud of. Mechanical quartz dildo. Seeing this I'm not even sorry for derailing this thread. Well, maybe a little
>>
File: lolibaba.jpg (43 KB, 962x453) Image search: [Google]
lolibaba.jpg
43 KB, 962x453
>>943882
> alibaba

Why am I not surprised..
>>
>>943893
What the.. I don't even
>>
>>943552
>>943882
yessssss quatrz dildos
diy is starting to pick up again
>>
File: 1454379051360.jpg (130 KB, 600x633) Image search: [Google]
1454379051360.jpg
130 KB, 600x633
>>943882
pretty cool JO crystals. Do they glow?
>>
File: 31_v89r.gif (324 KB, 232x309) Image search: [Google]
31_v89r.gif
324 KB, 232x309
>>943502
>Is there any way to polish these with simple tools like a dremel?
yes, there is

step 1: search for "diamond polishing compound" or "diamond lapping compound" on google
step 2: buy some of what you found step #1
step 3: put on some goggles to protect your eyes!
step 4: put some of the polishing compound on the felt bob of your dremel or dremel-like tool, set to a LOW speed and start buffing. wear goggles, as stuff flies off as the bob wears away.
(optional)
step 5: search google for "dremel felt bob" if you don't know what them is,,,, and git some
>>
File: 1440246348374.jpg (37 KB, 460x459) Image search: [Google]
1440246348374.jpg
37 KB, 460x459
>>943502
Wax, a cloth and some elbow grease

Simple as that bub, it's worked for thousands of years up until now
>>
>>944657
Could probably sell em to Steven universe fans on tumblr
>>
>>946888
I'd buy one if it was easy to maintain as far as hygienic cleaning goes.
>>
>>948224
Its probably need to be shellaced or something to keep it safe from having little microscopic holes and dents for bacteria and shit but at that point it's probably as safe as any donger
>>
I take it you want to keep the flat surfaces? Don't use a dremel until the actual polishing step. Rub the quarts on wet and dry on a flat surface and use some water to keep the wet n dry flush. When you're up to a decent grit then you can use the dremel polishing compound. Flap wheels have a tendency to round edges and make gouges.

Or just acid polish.
>>
>>943502
How's it going OP, any progress?
>>
>>943515
PSST
garnet is a form of aluminum oxide
>>
>>943528
Won't that also round the edges? Is that what poster wants?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.