[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any thoughts on removing a baked on ceramic label from glass?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 4L_cr3oE1Wm.jpg (303 KB, 814x2291) Image search: [Google]
4L_cr3oE1Wm.jpg
303 KB, 814x2291
Any thoughts on removing a baked on ceramic label from glass? This is not screenprinting, I have tried vinegar soaking and methylene chloride based paint stripper to no success, and they've worked on everything else glass I've reclaimed so far. My intention is to re-use in home brewing.
>>
steam?
>>
>>943444
Gera?
>>
Try moving up from mek to straight acetone and a paint scraper. That aerosol premium strip is pretty solid too, but it will give you chemical burns and melt through latex with the quickness.
>>
sandblaster?
>>
>>943444
Home brewer here. Why not just apply your own custom label over top of the baked on branding? I typically print on Avery 3.33"x4" labels and they work great. You may need a slightly bigger size depending on the size of the Corona branding on the bottle.

Also, I was worried when I saw the Corona bottle, but +1 to you for finding brown Corona bottles (which I didn't even know existed)
>>
>>943545
MEK and methylene chloride are different solvents. Not that he can't try acetone too.

>>943444
IMO >>943580's suggestion is the best idea this far.
If you insist on removing the label and normal solvents won't work, you can try your luck with hot strong sodium hydroxide solution.
>>
The brown bottles are Familiar which is their non export premium variety, it's hoppier and heavier. I've already used paint stripper to zero effect, my next try is CLR. I could whizz wheel it off but taking it to a sandblasting facility that would cost me money kind of blows this out of proportion.

My biggest motivation here is the size, I can bottle two pints at a time, or even better I can use it as a half growler to get filled somewhere and bring my hand capper with me and be able to save it for longer than a few days if necessary.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-08-21-52-57-1.png (896 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-08-21-52-57-1.png
896 KB, 1080x1080
>>943835
Ah, so not really interested in adding new labels.

I've heard that soaking Corona bottles in starsan for 48 hours then letting them dry makes the paint come right off. If your a homebrewer already, you may even have some starsan siting around. If not, you should get some to sanatize the bottles before using them.

Apparently, just mix up a regular batch of starsan and soak the bottles for 2 days. Remove the bottles and let them dry. Then scrub them lightly with an abrasive sponge and the paint should practically fall right off.

If you try it, let us know how it goes.
>>
>>943444
its enameled glass baked onto glass. I don't think anything sort of an acid which would etch the bottle will remove it.
>>
Yeah, I don't think that's coming off. I think Tecate and a few other brands make big quart bottles with regular caps too, and they use paper labels.
>>
>>943903

I'll look into that. I have four and thought the beer was interestingly different than normal corona. I'll probably mask and use engine paint to make a white rectangular label front and back if nothing else, just use them at home and stick to bombers for trade and gift purposes.
>>
File: 4L_NvufSPeY.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_NvufSPeY.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Two bottles of CLR, boiling water, and a scraper is yielding results.
>>
>>943444
These bottles are like $10 for 6 marked plain.
>>
>>944009
I know it's a /diy/ board, but your only option is Hydrofluoric Acid to take off the ceramic. And good fucking luck trying to find anyone willing to do that sort of work.
>>
File: 4L_NANNLrgs.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_NANNLrgs.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>944009
$8 of CLR, plus the cost of boiling water and the learning experience, I enjoy reusing and repurposing. Drinking the beer was a bonus.
>>
How did you get those?
Look for Indio brand beer (heineken owned) for 2 pints ones, or Victoria Mega for 3 pints, there is aslo Corona Mega
>>
>>945279
I live in Myrtle beach sc, lots of Mexican, Guatemalan, and Honduran construction and restaurant workers.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.