[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would I fix these cracks in my bathtub? Silicone sealant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 20160207_181914.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160207_181914.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
How would I fix these cracks in my bathtub?
Silicone sealant?
>>
Silicone? No.

There are kits to fix fiberglass baths, about $25 USD

alcohol to clean the area
wet sandpaper
2-part epoxy
wet sand cured epoxy smooth
polish with polishing compound in kit
>>
>>943268
What would happen if I used silicone?
>>
>>943268
Also the bathtub is hollow inside.
How would sandpaper help?
I'd probably make the cracks worse by pressing down on them.
>>
>>943271
Silicone fails, might be a short term fix, but generally makes things worse.

>>943272
what id the tub made from? Plastic or fiberglass?
The point of the sandpaper, is that is a wet-sand 600 grit. After the area is cleaned well and wiped with alcohol, the 600 grit wet sandaper is used to prep the area to be fixed so the epoxy can get a better "stick" to the area.

The sandpaper is such a fine grit, wet sanding, that it doesn't actually take away material of the plastic/fiberglass... well... it COULD if you were to sand on it for hours, but mainly you're just exposing "new" plastic/fiberglass for the epoxy to stick on.
Then after the epoxy has cured a little more wet sanding to "smooth" the epoxy to the same level as the old plastic/fiberglass and you can sand up to 2000 grit wet-sand paper which will polish the tub.1553
>>
>>943275
>what id the tub made from? Plastic or fiberglass?
I do not know.

All I know is that applying too much pressure to it would cause bigger cracks.

Maybe if I did it carefully it would work though.

I'll try this exoxy method, but look at where it's cracked, how the hell do I fix that?

BTW all that white shit around it was acrylic caulking I applied, then removed because it didn't work.
>>
>>943277
>Maybe if I did it carefully it would work though.

Exactly.
Slow and gentle is how baths are fixed

I looked at the photo again, and what you have is a plastic "tub surround kit"

The little epoxy repair kit should be $25
worst case is you buy a whole new tub surround which sould be something like $130 + adhesive and caulking.
>>
>>943280
I'm at the store now, they don't have a repair kit but they have epoxy.

Is the epoxy all I need?
>>
File: 1454901321232-184668876.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1454901321232-184668876.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Alright which one do I use?
>>
>>943306
Neither.

What store are you shopping at?

Go to the plumbing area if you are in a BIXBOX home store.

Look for sometihng like pic
>>
>>943309
>What store are you shopping at?
Walmart in canada

Would these products work though?

I guess I could go to home depot or something.
>>
>>943310
Yes, go to HomeDepot.
Get the product that is designed for the application
>>
>>943313
Here is the HomeDepot store SKU for the correct product

Store SKU # 401185
Gelcoat Repair Kit in White
>>
>>943315
Wow thanks man.

I'm going to go tomorrow and get it
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.