[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a motor similar to this that came out of a range hood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 450x302) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 450x302
I have a motor similar to this that came out of a range hood and I am going to use it to make an air filter/negative air machine. It's labeled 115v ~2 amps. It had a three prong connector that I cut off to get it out of the metal housing that I repainted. It has a red, white, and black wire. What is the red wire for? Is it the ground, or is it for a low speed mode?
>>
>>943169
My first assumption was that it was a second load, but it's only 115v.
>>
>>943169
One com, two for fan/motor speed.
>>
>>943169
I just adore how people think the color of the wire makes any difference to anything at all ever :-D

Everybody uses their own standard for color coding. Unless you're talking about romex or network wiring, the color of a wire amounts to exactly jack shit.
>>
>>943189
How does the slower speed work? Is it just a secondary circuit with a resistor in it?
>>
>>943189
Or neutral, line and starting cap.

Of course, OP didn't bother tracing the wiring in the range hood before going to work with the wire cutters.
>>
>>943169
just put the cord back on the way you cut it off
>>
>>943205
No, there's a couple ways to do it if it's a two speed motor and there's no selector on the motor itself. It could be there's a "tap" in the motor winding so that you either apply voltage to 100% of the winding or (from the black wire) or like 40-60% of the winding (from the red). Or there's two entire windings. Or it could be something else, I don't know, I do industrial 3-phase motors so I'm just pulling shut outta my hat.
>>
>>943169
hook it up to a power source in multiple configurations and see what happens
>>
>>943201
this to be honest senpai
>>
>>944154
Don't do this.
>>
In a single phase AC motor white is probably going to denote the identified conductor (called "neutral"). The other two "colors" are going to be two separate winding configuration or attachments. One will engage all of the windings, or the longer winding, and the other will engage partial windings, or the shorter windings, giving you a high and low output respectively.
>>
>>943169
>It has a red, white, and black wire
white is neutral
black is high speed
red is low speed
>>
File: wiring-schematic-diagram.jpg (36 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
wiring-schematic-diagram.jpg
36 KB, 500x419
>>946338
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.