[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm doing yard work for a guy and he wants me to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
So I'm doing yard work for a guy and he wants me to get a bunch of dead grass out and make the lawn just dirt (pic related) any one got a good way to do this easily? Right now the best I've found is to just take a weed Wacker to it all to get it down to dirt. That ident working to well either. Any advice would help
>>
>>943061
What does he want the ground to look like after? I just take a rototiller on its shallowest setting to it. It would bust up the top inch or two of soil and make it easy to remove the grass and roots.
>>
>>943068
He wants it to just be plan dirt and my tools and knowledge of tools is limited.
>>
>>943068
Actually I have one and I forgot because I'm an idiot thanks for the help
>>
File: rake-01.jpg (38 KB, 1078x1200) Image search: [Google]
rake-01.jpg
38 KB, 1078x1200
>>
>>943101
Tryed that dident work so well.
>>
>>943061
Have you tried a controlled burn?
>>
Cultivator Hoe (manual/cheap route)
or
A gas/drill powered tiller/cultivator
>>
>>943061
For future reference. A cheap and easy way to make a yard all dirt with the least amount of tools. Is get an edger. (pls watch tree roots tho) and run it across the yard. Spanning 1 foot apart deepest setting. Then grab a square shovel and flip the rows upside down.. This will kill the grass and weeds long enough to allow you to do something like planting new grass or my favorite laying down pea gravel. (seriously grass is such a PITA and you're not the british royalist.) plus gravel drains well (means no pooling water for those who deal with super sandy soils or heavily clay based soils.) and you can park cars on it for a day or two without worrying about having a dead patch. And when assholes throw their cig butts into your yard.. You just use a shop vac on a dry day to clean them up without any effort
>>
Throw a tarp over the lawn and wait a few months.
>>
File: 20150822_215613538_iOS.jpg (924 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
20150822_215613538_iOS.jpg
924 KB, 1600x1200
A scuffle hoe, baby.

Before.
>>
File: 20150924_225232295_iOS.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150924_225232295_iOS.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>943171

After.

Ripped all that centipede up for some fescue.
>>
>>943173
Doesn't everything turn to mud water when it rains?
>>
File: 20151128_183304625_iOS.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
20151128_183304625_iOS.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
>>943177

I had grass growing by the next week. We bought the house in late August, had it ripped up by late September, and had grass growing by early October. I laid down a mushroom/manure compost 1/2" thick and then just threw seed. No hay, just seed.

Here it is in November. A bit of chickweed but that will be handled next Fall. I actually need to spread some crabgrass preventer next weekend.
>>
>>943061
You really need to just put in some elbow grease and buck down. Labor is hard, you need to push yourself physically and get home to a cold beer.

There are likely tools that would make your work easier but they're probably expensive. I'm not a landscaper, but a carpenter, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
>>
>>943061
>yard work
hire a mexican
>>
File: 280304_0.jpg (11 KB, 320x290) Image search: [Google]
280304_0.jpg
11 KB, 320x290
I always used a stirup hoe to get rid of grass and weeds. Does a hell of a job in the garden. Its a bit hard to use in hard soil thou.
>>
File: thank you rotary hoe.jpg (98 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
thank you rotary hoe.jpg
98 KB, 960x640
>>944836
Pretty much what he said

>>943061
You can get a rotary hoe in there and you'll be done in a few hours or you can do it all manually with a regular hoe/spade. This will be hard work, and will take a significantly longer time, but is the alternative if you don't have access to other tools.

Pic related, my front yard right now.
>>
>>944963

>hard work

See above. When you do 3000 sq feet of centipede then you can talk about hard work. That little strip is fucking child's play.

OP a scuffle hoe isn't hard work. Just make sure you take up the grass every foot or so you pull. The less shit you have in the way the easier the entire process is.
>>
>>943061
Drag Harrow

https://www.google.com/search?q=drag+harrow&tbm=isch
>>
>>943180
>No hay, just seed.

The hay is to help prevent birds from finding the seed and eating it all as well to help against erosion and seeds washing away. Sometimes you are lucky and don't need it and sometimes it is a must.
>>
>>944989

>sometimes you are lucky and don't need it

Or sometimes you just know the migration patterns, times, etc. of native species and think, "Well hay is completely useless."
>>
Im sure its been said already, just with another name, but im not a landscaper. Why not rent a sod cutter? Its specifically made to remove only a small layer of soil and the grass so it can be rolled and moved to be laid somewhere else, so it should leave a clean area of dirt. Just cut it out, roll it up and set it aside.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.