[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Potassium nitrate rocket fuel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: rocket-candy-2.jpg (43 KB, 654x367) Image search: [Google]
rocket-candy-2.jpg
43 KB, 654x367
Has anyone ever made any oh this stuff? Also I can't find the proper temperature in which to cook it and it keeps igniting while I'm cooking.
>>
may i suggest a 1:1 Sulphur/Zinc mixture?

easy as hell to make, just put 1kg zinc powder and 1kg sulphur powder into a barrel, add a few 25mm steel ball bearings and roll the barrel around for a while till you get a uniform colour.

no heat required therefore far more stable.
ignition temp is 1200 C.

a 100 Ohm resistor will flash at the required temp if hooked up to a standard 12v car battery
>>
>>942709
interesting, I may have to give it a try. One of my biggest problems is that the fuel doesn't give off much thrust Just lots of smoke and noise. What am i doing wrong?
>>
File: panic diy dentistry.jpg (66 KB, 573x621) Image search: [Google]
panic diy dentistry.jpg
66 KB, 573x621
>>942709

>ball mill
>full of fucking rocket fuel
>steel tumbling media

Oh shit nigger what are you doing?
>>
>>942712
>just lots of smoke
That's the thrust. Make sure there aren't lots of air gaps and put a proper nozzle on it to focus the smoke. Might also not have put enough nitrate in it.
>>
So is this /rocket/ general?

Might as well be since i have a rocket fuel question.
Going for my first liquid fuel build, and was wondering if Avtur (f34/jeta1) and LOx would be a good mix. I have access to free avtur and a limited supply of lox but was wondering if there was a better fuel (cant really get a better oxidiser than lox)
>>
>>942687
try turning the heat down ya twat
try adding half a cup of water
when turn the heat off when you see the first bubbles

it aint hard OP
>>
>>942858
I can only go down in increments of 10, 270 Fahrenheit is too hot but 260 is too cold. I'll try the water method and see if it works.
>>
>>942855
You most likely know this already, but oxygen/kerosene is a common combination in big rockets. Apparently alcohol would be easier and safer choice, though (better cooling, does not polymerize). Dunno how much that really matters in a small rocket which burns just few seconds.
>>
>>942687
You are doing it way wrong if it's igniting on you.
To make sugar rocket motors you are creating a caramelized mix of sugar and potassium nitrate. I suggest following a cooking guide on how to best do this.
>http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/techniques/cooking-class-caramelizing

You can add the potassium nitrate in as the sugar melts or mix it all together with water.
I've found in my experience it's best to use as little water as possible, just use a good heat and add slowly until it dissolves. Then cook until all water has been completely driven off and the mix resembles a tacky dough.
>>
>>942687
I cook my stuff outside in the summer. Low medium heat, slow cooking and constant stirring. Flame heat source works best for even heating.
>>
>>942687
http://www.jamesyawn.net/ great instructions
>>
>>942687
It's pretty easy, no idea why yours is igniting though? What ratio are you using? It should be around 60-65% potassium nitrate and 35-40% sugar. I recommend blending the mix with a hand blender before heating, the finer the powder, the more consistent the burn rate will be. Keep it at a low heat, the sugar will start to caramel, mix it with a metal spoon or a spatula. Once its the same brown color all over and its smooth, you're good to go ahead and pour it into your container. I use an open flame because I have a gas oven, but I think it'll probably be safer doing it on an electric hotplate if you're having problems with it randomly combusting.

I hope this helps OP
>>
>>942709
errr you appear to be attempting to make some kind of bomb with that kind of composition and quantity ..
>>
>>942715
he's making crystals ofc.
>>
>>942709
>a 100 Ohm resistor will flash at the required temp if hooked up to a standard 12v car battery
Or a nicrome estes rocket igniter
>>
>>943340
or just some nichrome wire.
>>
>Has anyone ever made any oh this stuff?
I've made some before, with reasonable success. The propellant itself performed well in every case; it was my motors themselves that suffered problems. My first motor, a static test article, ignited but the nozzle throat was too large and it failed to choke and produce pressure/thrust (glorified smoke bomb). My second motor, also a static test, appeared to function properly, so I decided to proceed with flight testing. Neither static motor included an ejection charge. My third and last motor delaminated at the paper casing, causing the motor to scream and whistle like a piccolo pete as gasses blew between layers of paper. But it made thrust for just long enough to clear the pad before the nozzle itself was ejected from the motor with a thump, killing all appreciable thrust. Momentum carried the rocket to about 15 or 20 feet as the delay charge burned through, at which point my gunpowder ejection charge energetically and enthusiastically deployed the parachute perfectly at apogee (though a full two seconds more prematurely than I had intended it to deploy at, for still-unknown reasons). Not exactly what I had planned but I still consider it a success.
>Also I can't find the proper temperature in which to cook it and it keeps igniting while I'm cooking.
Dear god, man. What the hell are you doing?
Just follow James Yawn's Rcandy recipe. 300 degrees F is all you need. Even less than that when the moisture has flashed off and the propellant has the appropriate hardness (leaving the temperature high will caramelize the sugar, reducing performance).
>>
>>942687
Nice try sanjeet figure out your own formula.
>>
>>943304
65-35 is my mix. I've been cooking on an induction cooker.
>>
>>943440
It's igniting at 270 degrees F any less and it won't caramelize.
>>
>>942712

Add more oxidizer, make you fuel smaller for a faster reaction rate, close the vent some to increase pressure

Where are you getting your kno3?
>>
>>943647
Gordon's stump remover.
>>
>>942715
standard mixing operation with zinc/sulphur mix, do some fuckin research

>>943307
oh furfuxake, you take the steel balls out of the mix before packing it, you actually really that fuckin thick?

>>943340
>>943343
nope, niether will reach the required ignition temp.
>>
ITT: /diy helps a terrorist
>>
>>944448
It's shit you can learn how to make on youtube. They're pretty fun. I made little rocket kits when I was in boy scouting. They're pretty fun.
https://youtu.be/4v_utrMar9Y
>>
>>942855

Do NOT fuck with liquid oxygen, that shit will turn anything into a goddamn bomb if any spills.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.