[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to make a weight to pull down with stronger force?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: fj9Nrt6SyE93Hi9sb9msuBZ7.gif (52 KB, 837x1024) Image search: [Google]
fj9Nrt6SyE93Hi9sb9msuBZ7.gif
52 KB, 837x1024
Is there a way to make a weight to pull down with stronger force?

Something like a reverse pulley, that would make the thing at the end seem heavier?

(sorry if im being stupid, its just something i cant wrap my head around)
>>
>>942053
Gearing.
>>
>>942053
pulley in op gives no mechanical advantage

if you have a pulley that gives mechanical advantage then just swap the load with the ... other bit...
>>
File: pulleys.png (5 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pulleys.png
5 KB, 640x480
like this OP
>>
>>942068
do they use shit like this in gym equipment? so that they dont have to use as much mass?
>>
>>942053
You could use a lever. Twelve inch ruler, fulcrum at the two inch mark, weight at the twelve inch mark, push on the one inch mark. One pound should feel like 11, or twelve, or something. Gearing would also work, like the other anon said. Pulleys might work if they were vastly different sizes (like gearing.)
>>
>>942053
nautilus pulley
>>
File: something.png (11 KB, 997x339) Image search: [Google]
something.png
11 KB, 997x339
>>942053
how about something like this?
>>
>>942068
so you would pull a small bit, while the thing moves up a long distance?
>>
You can do anything with gears and pulleys as long as force times movement is constant.
>>
File: talicska_02.jpg (6 KB, 300x197) Image search: [Google]
talicska_02.jpg
6 KB, 300x197
>>942096
The old M = F * k
>>
>>942084
I think so, from what I've seen in films, having personally never attended a gym.
>>942125
yea thats the tradeoff with pulleys and levers. can't beat a lever for simplicity however they can be massive but pulleys are small sized and light although the rope can get tangled.
>>
File: block-tackle-eg.png (533 KB, 3423x1502) Image search: [Google]
block-tackle-eg.png
533 KB, 3423x1502
>>942053
>>942060
Yes, switch the weight to the hook on the left here.
>>
>>942068
Yup
>>942084
Not usually, because of what [>>942125 >>942141] said. Gym equipment can only be so tall, and using such an arrangement would increase the height stroke of the weight for a given distance of exercise-machine stroke. Now that's fine to SOME extent, if you've got a track with room for 5 feet of weight movement and the machine only moves 2.5 or 1 ft on the manual end, but if you have something where the manual stroke is very long - like a rowing machine or whatever - then your only real option is to use heavier weights (or some alternate form of resistance, such as elastic or viscous-fluid resistance).
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.