[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
jack stands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: jack stands, hazard freight.jpg (362 KB, 1000x747) Image search: [Google]
jack stands, hazard freight.jpg
362 KB, 1000x747
should i drop like $200 on four 6-ton jack stands to get 24" of lift for working on my car?

or spend something like $20 on wood to make some solid 8" tall wood footings for my 16" jacks to sit on?
and if so, how should i build them?
>>
>>942021

if they slip, you're going to the emergency room.

I'd get the jack stands myself, but if you think you can safely build footings, just make sure they're secure as fuck and handle the load.
>>
>>942021
>spend something like $20 on wood to make some solid 8" tall wood footings
You're not going to be able to get enough wood to make stable cribbing for anywhere near $20.

Cribbing can be infinitely safer than using jackstands, but I'm 99% sure you don't know how to build up a proper crib.

Also, chinafreight those fuckers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-jack-stand-set-38847.html
>>
>>942028
that's why i'm asking; how do i make stable cribbing?

i was thinking a line of 2x6's standing on their end, maybe 4 or 5, with 2x8s sandwiched top and bottom. bolts through the 2x6's and screws down through the 2x8's into the 2x6's
>>
I used to work on my cars with milk crates and a large 1.5ton lorry jack. Everyone used to to wince at me using milk crates, but generally for small compact cars they supported the front or rear end fine once jacked up.

I mean, yeah by all means go safety first jacking up and supporting your car, but when you drop the engine or gearbox and you catch it on your chest you still aren't exactly working 'safe'.
>>
>>942021
>$200 on four 6-ton jack stands
nigger what?

fuck sakes no way you should have to spend more $100 on 4 jack stands. and why do you need 6-ton rated?
Does your car weigh (6 tons x 4 =) 24 tons?
jesus fuckign christ OP, you car wieghs 48,000 pounds?

You could probably do this safely with four 2-ton jack stands for like $50
http://www.autozone.com/engine-and-vehicle-lift/jack-stand
>>
>>942046

Cribbing is safe because it has a large, normally square, footprint. 2x6's on their ends isn't going to give you any kind of footprint thats safe. It'll take a lot of wood stacked properly to do it, and the footprint will be wider then a jackstand.

Plus, the only wood that's even remotely acceptable for cribbing is hardwood.

Not to mention a single 6 ton jackstand can support the entire weight of 2-3 cars before failure. 4 two ton jackstands will do much better and probably be cheaper.
>>
>>942056

>turns out anon picked up a semi flatbed to haul his new shipment of imitation crab meat. He wanted the $20 to go for 2xs so he could
kicker board off the stands.
>>
>>942026
ER if you're fucking lucky. Heard too many stories of dudes being found dead under their cars for trying to cheap out on jack stands.
>>
File: image.jpg (274 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
274 KB, 1200x1200
>>942028
+1

Harbor freight jack stands. Buy them separately each time with their 20% off coupon and you'll have four brand new 6 ton jack stands for $80. I personally have a pair myself and use them on my Ford Escape when changing the oil.

5/7 would recommend.

http://m.harborfreight.com/6-ton-jack-stand-set-38847.html
>>
>>942056
there are no 24" lift 3-ton jacks so i HAVE to buy 6-ton jacks for that much lift
>>
>>942122
do you have one of those coupons though...?
>>
>>942056
You have to watch it, a lot of cheaper jack stands are specifically sold only in pairs because they are rated for "4 tons between the two". Its misleading labeling practices, but its there.
>>
>>942021
If you can bench press your car go the cheaper way.
>>
>>942153
>do you have one of those coupons though...?

Of course, its "Super Football Weekend!"

They have printable coupons on their front page 80% of the year.
http://www.harborfreight.com/
>>
>>942160
oh i assumed it was 20% off the jacks specifically, not just 20% off any item
i'll keep that in mind, there's a HF about 20 minutes from me
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.