[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So just a thought who knows some cool experiments with chemistry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: chemistry_00343472.png (3 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
chemistry_00343472.png
3 MB, 1600x1200
So just a thought who knows some cool experiments with chemistry
>>
>>941884
Don't quote me on this
3 parts sulphuric
1 part nitric
cool in ice and salt bucket
slowly rotate
drip in glycerine down the side of flask
take out the nitroglycerine

or use cotton instead of glycerine, just leave the cotton in for 5 minutes and was in water 5, 6 times and leave to dry, you have low explosives if you encase it properly.

I made meth... the hard part was scraping all the phosphorus of the match boxes.
>>
>>941884
Do the copper cycle.
>>
water + iron creates rust at the interfaces.

for a fun experiment to do with the kids place an iron sheet in a trough half full of water and once rust shows up examine the formation of it.
>>
>>9419884
How do you do it
>>
>>941884
http://cdn.media.ccc.de/congress/2015/h264-hd/32c3-7221-de-Methodisch_inkorrekt_hd.mp4
>>
>>941887
dont do this it makes mustard gas
>>
>>943006
Unless you also plan on making ketchup gas
>>
File: copper-sulfate-crystals[1].jpg (33 KB, 640x407) Image search: [Google]
copper-sulfate-crystals[1].jpg
33 KB, 640x407
You need expensive reagents and expensive glassware to get little in return. See if you are an electrician hobbist you can fix things, play with leds or build some audio equipment (for a price). Woodworking, as long as you have the expensive tools, you can build useful things. Chemistry as a hobby only let you produce beer or alcohol, anything else will be expensive, unuseful and probably toxic. I would skip my practical classes at college if possible. They let us play with too concentrated acids, and some dumb experiments would explode or release vapor.

Want try something cheap and safe? Get a plate, baking soda and water. Dilute the baking soda in water and put it in the plate. Wait 4 weeks until the water slowly evaporates then you see what a recrystallization looks like. In college we made this experiment using some copper shit. After vapor inhalations and hot liquids popping in our glasses we end with these blue crytals that you even can't touch or they melt making your finger absorb more copper for your future cancer.
>>
>>943015
>Chemistry as a hobby only let you produce beer or alcohol
If you check old diy-related books, you'll find plenty of recipes for all kinds of stuff, ranging from crayons to matchsticks. Well, most of the time no reactions are involved, but the same applies to the most household chemicals as well: manufacturer just mixes shit together and bottles it.
Somehow that stuff became first unfashionable and then outright scary.
>>
>>941884
>coming to /diy/ expecting replies that aren't "home chemistry is all dangerous and pointless never do it. Get into my hobby instead"

Here's a tip, take your college intro chem courses, learn basic ionic chemistry so you don't die.
Don't try to make any kind of explosive other than black powder until your comfortable working with concentrated acids and poisons, and understand how to dispose of them properly and safely.

Unless you have a specific use in mind, yes chemistry is useless if you don't have a reason to need it or know enough to know when you can use it.

>>943015
>not using supplied PPE properly
If you can't handle concentrated acids, or can't heat a liquid properly without causing spatter you have no business in chemistry anyways.
I get the feeling that you didn't want to be there, and therefore payed little attention to the procedure precautions (don't heat too fast, do in a fume hood etc) because you were bored.
"this is a school like in highschool right? They would never make us handle dangerous chemicals after all those years learning lab safety right? They would never expect us to follow safety tips properly right?"

>Copper compounds being cancinogens and not just a good way to get heavy metal poisoning
>not using gloves
>standing directly over heated liquids

Chemistry is only useful if you know when you can use it, and how to use it, and only safe when you follow instructions.
>>
File: feen.jpg (329 KB, 1556x1082) Image search: [Google]
feen.jpg
329 KB, 1556x1082
There's always the classic caffeine liquid extraction. It's safe, easy, extremely well documented online, and the last time I did it we were able to produce several grams of pure caffeine crystals from old teabags.
>>
>>941884
Fucking film photography dude. All kinds of neat, awesome reactions you can play with. Hell, you can even develop film with coffee!
>>
>>943082
You can make your own photosensitive plates if you don't mid handling some mildly dangerous chemicals too.
>>
>>943092
Yeah, there are several options for that. Cyanotype is pretty easy and relatively safe. Chromate process is also pretty simple, but hexavalent chromium is nasty stuff.
>>
>>943098
I like the wetplate silver-collidion process which involves cyanide and concentrated acids.

I personally refer to chemicals in four groups.
Meh, which is stuff like vinegar and salt.
Hazards, which are typically things that won't kill you unless you're a retard, like heavy metals.
Mildly dangerous, concentrated acids and other chemicals that aren't scary if you know what you're doing

and Heavy shit man, which are things that create corrosive clouds, low dosage contact poisons, catch on fire creating toxic or corrosive clouds on contact with air, and shit that even if you do almost everything right can kill you.

Basically 0-4 on the fire diamond. with 3 and 4 being in the last category.
>>
>>943131
>Heavy shit man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid#Health_and_safety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oipksRhISfM
>>
>>943206
Yeah, exactly.
I'll never fuck with things like HF if I don't have to.

This is one compound I absolutely refuse to handle:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylmercury#Safety
>>
>>943212
When would you ever have to refuse using it? Isn't it pretty much abandoned as a chemical because of how toxic it is?
>>
>>943241
It's used for calibrating some equipment in toxicology I believe.

That and there is bullshit that goes on in the chem field sometimes.
>>
>>941884
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtBtD0_KZ9o
>>
>>943212
I work in refineries, and while h2s and so2 release and exposure are much more likely and immediately dangerous, the only thing that really scares me are hf alkylation units. 60 year old iron pipes carrying that shit, no thanks
>>
>>943548
So far I've strictly only worked in lab settings.
HF is pretty nasty shit.
Thankfully so far I've only needed to handle it twice in small quantities, last week someone got some under a glove in our uni's lab somehow and was rushed to the hospital.

Aside from megatoxins like certain organo-phosphates, the only chemicals I am shaky around are contact poisons. Especially the ones that can eat through most barriers.

Practically everything else is treatable unless you fucked up bad.
>>
>>943679
I work on a site with ethylene/propylene oxide. Shit's pretty scary.
>>
>>943679

I need to get out of the lab. We don't normally use that bad of stuff. Worst stuff I think we have are 1% HF solution somewhere I think, Potassium Dichromate, Nicotine, and some other nasty acids. Thankfully I don't use them, but I don't trust my coworkers who do.

I'm too paranoid for this job.
>>
>>944107
I was offered an internship at an industrial plant once.

I declined because the parent company had a history of not performing critical maintenance that involved systems that deal with very hazardous materials.
>>
>>943015
you sound like a pussy. Copper salts are not really toxic, and if you weren't wearing gloves you're just retarded.
>>
>>944626
Not him, I'm the second guy to reply to him, but copper carbonate (a 3 on the fire diamond for health) and a few others are quite toxic, but really only if you drink them.

It's the same with most heavy metal compounds.
>>
Mix sodium hydroxide with hydrogen peroxide. The more concentrated the better
>>
>>941884
look into iodone clock reactions. those are cool :)
>>
>>941887
chemnerd here
can confirm procedure does in fact make nitroglycerine. and for any asshats out there, use plastic containers for this, because even though you're cooling the solution, it produces a lot of heat
>>
>>945916
could you give more advice, Im planning on doing this, but I dont want to blow myself up
>>
>>945916
>Generates lots of heat
>use plastic
I would think borosilicate glass would be more desirable.
>>
>>945938
Mix the nitrolgycerine with powdered brick so you make dinamite
>>
>>941884
Chemists.
>>
>>946297
>mfw i realize this is the first person to answer OP's question
>>
>>946247
>what is thermal fracturing
>>
>>946608
The key word is borosilicate. Which should be sufficient for the process, unless you're a faggot and drive it into thermal runaway. The process would auto-detonate or melt the plastic and then auto-detonate long before it got hot enough to make boro glass unsuitable. I believe the term you're looking for is thermal shock.

>I wonder why they don't use plastic for such reactions in real labs
>I'll take basic properties of lab glassware for 400, jim
>>
>>945916

>chemnerd
>lot of heat
>use plastic

You deserve the nobel brah
>>
anyone know a cool drug i can make from household products?
>>
>>946652
Acetylsalicylic acid is a good one.
Google it to find tutorials.

Also make sure you use plastic because you'll be heating the products at some point, like chemnerd said. The heat conductivity of glass is overrated, and who needs a pure product anyways?

Don't let actual chemists keep you down, man.
>>
Make some motherfucking FOOF, man!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxygen_difluoride

You do have some liquid oxygen, right?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.