[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paint leaves little holes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: DSC_0233.jpg (339 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0233.jpg
339 KB, 1920x1080
I'm painting the plastic parts of my car interior, but the paint keeps doing this.
Does anyone know why this happens or how it can be prevented?
I applied 2 coats of plastic primer first, so that can't be it. Is it just shitty plastic?
>>
>>941875
If you proprly primed the surface, it's either some specialty paint (not compatible with primer), large amounts of moisture, poor cleaning or old paint.
>>
Those are "fish eyes" caused by impurities on the base. If it's automotive interior then it needs a major cleaning before any spraying due to numerous chemicals containing silicone, Armor-All to be specific. A good wax and grease remover and some elbow grease will get it off. DX-330 from PPG is my go to for cleaning interior panels. Remember to clean BEFORE you sand or else you risk embedding impurities into the substrate and you'll never get them out.
>>
>>941882
>>941886

Ok, thanks. I guess I didn't clean or sand the material good enough beforehand. This rubberish stuff tends to build up on VW MK4 interior plastic and maybe I didn't get it all off.
Is there any way to fill most of these holes up?
Do I just try to apply more layers of paint until most them are filled or would this be futile?
>>
File: 12345fuck.jpg (449 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
12345fuck.jpg
449 KB, 900x675
>>941889
as mentioned they are fish eyes.

Next time google this shit.

find an autobody supply store in your area, they will have what you need as far as adhesion promoters and everything you need to do a professional job, Vatozone and peepboys and the likes have stuff for rookies that don't know the difference

and why are you painting this shit red?
>>
>>941926

The autosupply store is where I got my primer and paint.
And because a black and red interior looks dope as fuck
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.