[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i log shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
Here's the deal: you put a disc inside your PSX, push power, the disc starts spinning and the laser reads the disc. The data it reads is transmitted through the ribbon cable.

How can I log the data that goes through to a file? see pic
>>
My immediate question is: "why?"

I suspect that if you outline what exactly you're attempting to achieve with this project, we may be able to suggest a simpler and easier method of achieving the same results.
>>
>>941793
I want to know what data is exactly transferred to the console from the disc reader unit so I can program a loader to an embedded system to do that for me.

The end game is to completely get rid of the disc reader unit and replace it with a rpi zero or similar that shoots the corresponding data through an identical ribbon cable to the system.

tldr I'm trying to trick the system to thinking there's a disc drive while in reality the data comes from an SD card.
>>
Never mind, I solved it. ;)
>>
>>941796

While I am not at all versed in the field, have you considered looking into the emulation scene?

A lot of playstation emulators use modular plugins to do things like run the disc drive side of things, and a lot of that is open source. It may be that the code you need has already been derived by someone else and is available.
>>
>>941798
what

>>941800
I dunno, I don't feel like sifting through someone else's code and get an "i guess" -idea of things. I appreciate the suggestion but I'd like to do this myself and the first step is logging what's going on.
>>
>>941798
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
You are ripping the disc basically
This is probably illegal as you are bypassing any protection on the disc.
I know its retarded but that's the world we live in.
Anyway disc reading is not a sequential operation, this isn't a video tape, the console will jump around and read the disc as is necessary. You would need to also record the positions of the motor and voice coil and even then some smart shit on the data to align it.
There was an article many years ago I read about a guy using a standard cdrom drive to rip a wii game. Usually error correction 'fixes' the bits they mong up but if you can communicate low level with the drive you can get the actual disc data.
I think it took a day to do just the ripping part because its slow as fuck.
Then once you have the image you can figure out the protocol to the drive and emulate the disc.
>>
>>941815
>You are ripping the disc basically
no, i'm listening to what data the laser exactly reads from the disc

>This is probably illegal as you are bypassing any protection on the disc.
I'm not ripping the disc. If I wanted to do that, I'd pop the disc into my PC's disc drive and dump it

>Anyway disc reading is not a sequential operation, this isn't a video tape, the console will jump around and read the disc as is necessary.
I understand that but this isn't what I am after. I want to listen to the data the disc reading unit sends to the console.

No more non-answers please
>>
>>941821
>no, i'm listening to what data the laser exactly reads from the disc
> no more non answers

If you don't give any context as to what you're doing don't expect people to read your mind.

You want to listen to what it reads?
As in musically listen?

Be specific if you are going to be a prick about it
>>
>>941790
Bus pirate, or other logic analyzer like a seale. Depending on the types of signal and the data rate, even the <$10 knockoffs can run with sigrok, (auto?)detect the signal type for common things like SPI, and dump the data. The higher the data rate, and more custom/obscure the protocol, the more likely you'll need a nice analyzer to do the trick.
>>
>>941833
This. Although it's entirely possible the drive is a known standard E.g. a boring old SATA bus.
>>
>>941833
>logic analyzer like a seale
Googled it and was not disappointed –this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you!

>>941832
see pic
>>
Stick the disc up your pee hole you flounder ha ha get rekt
>>
>>941842
If you seriously think the observer pattern and a logic analyzer for an optical signal have anything to do with one another, you're in for a bad time.
>>
>>941832
He said it exactly.

He wants to reverse engineer the bus exactly so he can emulate it with a solid state device. Several other cd based consoles have this already. There's one for psx but it doesnt have good game support because it clips onto the back of the console instead of actually interfacing with the drive.
>>
>>941802
Or go get some Playstation isos and try to just decode that. Emulators can do it after all. You're making this way too hard.
>>
The PSX supports a hard disk. you can play iso from that surely in the same way the ps2 played from the hard disk.
>>
>>942612
gonna need a source on that bub

>>942451
if youre talking about psio then yeah it's a real mess
>>
>>943409
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_%28video_game_console%29
Storage

PlayStation 2 memory card 8 megabyte
PlayStation memory card (128 kilobytes/1 megabit)
160 GB Hard Drive (5000 series),
So it's basically a ps2 fat with some extra hardware. buy a modbo5.0 and solder it in and play your games from usb(which I know it supports) or whatever else the manual says.
>>
>>943506
I see now. I was talking about the video game console called Sony PlayStation, which is often abbreviated PSX. Despite "PSX" being a piece of hardware on its own, it's obscure and japanese, and people commonly refer to the first PlayStation as simply "PSX"

Even so, it is worth mentioning that playing games through USB is very very slow because back then we didn't even have USB2.0
>>
>>943507
Ah, sorry for the confusion. Still the ps2 fat can play ps1 games from HDD which can be upgraded in size and they can be picked up very cheaply. Good luck with your endeavour.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.