[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I did a cool jigsaw puzzle and moved it onto my side table and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20160204_193849.jpg (4 MB, 2992x4000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160204_193849.jpg
4 MB, 2992x4000
I did a cool jigsaw puzzle and moved it onto my side table and WOAH it's the same exact size as the table! How would I go about making this the table top? Plexiglass? What else? Any glue? Glue the plexiglass? Glue to table? Where to get plexiglass in the right size? So many questions!

thx
>>
Victoria's secret, eh? Nasty boy
>>
Plexiglass or even normal glass. Looks like there is a gap along the side, you can attach with clear silicone just to seal it. Or drill holes and use a fastener of your choice.
>>
>>941502
;)
>>
>>941519
The clear silicone is like in a squeeze tube? Should I apply a thin layer on the entire exposed edge? Worried about gaps, but maybe I can just fill those in after?
>>
>>941488
Use tempered glass. Call up a glass cutting place and give them the exact dimensions you need. Make sure it has the edges beveled. Something like that will be $30-$50. Do not attempt to cut the glass yourself as it will merely explode into pretty little squares of ice-looking confetti.

Do not use "normal glass" as it will break rather easily.
>>
>>941544
Tempered glass seems nice. I'm looking at about $90 for that unfortunately. The table itself is as cheap as they come. Plexiglass would probably match better to the quality of the table to be honest.

Should I go and use the silicone, or would it be better to just rest it on top of sticky bumper things like these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JLD7LO/ref=pd_aw_sim_201_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=411vloTFkYL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C94_&refRID=1GXWWFNSKH0PQBVJH8NX
>>
>>941488
yeah that'd look p nice

Your first step is to look out how they preserve completed puzzles. Like how they keep them together.
Then do >>941544
>>
>>941577
>>941578
http://www.puzzlewarehouse.com/how-to-glue-and-mount-a-puzzle/
>>
>>941544
Dubs confirm best answer. You'll want 10mm or so glass
>>
File: Holy Grail.jpg (7 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
Holy Grail.jpg
7 KB, 218x231
build wall around buy clear pouring epoxy from hardware store.
Pour ontop of all that shit.
????
Profit
>>
>>941593
This
>>
don't use tempered glass. unless you plan on smashing face first into it. otherwise its just a waste of money. and in the event it breaks you are going to spend twice as long to clean it up.

use regular glass it does not break easily. just get a thicker glass. take the table to a glass shop. around me it would cost about $15 for an eight inch and ground edges.
>>
gr8 IKEA table m8, could always cut out the puzzle shape and then put glass on top.
>>
>>941593
Only pour it in small layers at a time. Otherwise you get distortions. Pour a small layer, let dry, repeat.
>>
>>941814
Can't I just do one thin layer?
>>
File: 517sJIuNMHL._SY300_.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
517sJIuNMHL._SY300_.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
Gonna go with the epoxy method.

Should I paint on some puzzle glue beforehand? I'm worried about pieces moving around, and/or air bubbles. Puzzle glue will keep everything together, but would it affect the clarity?
>>
Link to puzzle?
>>
>>941519
>even normal glass
This. Get a sheet of glass fitting the dimensions of your table. Those aren't that expensive and look way better than plexiglass.
>>
>>941945
Got it at Barnes & Noble

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/mobile/w/toys-games-sugar-skulls-desi-750-piece-puzzle/28227683

Pretty sure I paid more... Stupid b&m...
>>
>>941948
Glass would be simpler senpai, but how could I secure everything?
>>
>>941951

Add a small, wooden lip to the sides of the table, just high enough to constrain the glass. The glass doesn't need to be prevented from lifting, just sliding.

I have to agree that epoxy is not the way to go if you've never done it before. Way too easy to fuck up just enough that it will annoy you every time you look at it, even if nobody else really notices. Glass will also be far more scratch-resistant, and in the event it ever DOES sustain significant damage, you can just replace it. Or you can use acrylic sheet if you're paranoid about someone slamming a mug onto it and breaking it. Less scratch resistant, but better with impacts and just as easily replaced.
>>
>>941488

- create a 1cm lip with tape around the top of the table
- center puzzle where you want it
- pour epoxy resin over the puzzle until it fills up to the tape lip
- let it dry then remove the tape and sand the edges
>>
>>941593
Came here to post this
>>
>>941967
Forgetting the need of a torch to remove bubbles, and the high possibility that the puzzle may warp when exposed to the resin.
>>
>>941808
I think if you do that to those tables then you would also have to make supports or walls on the inside too.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160206-093630~2.jpg (30 KB, 965x963) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160206-093630~2.jpg
30 KB, 965x963
>>942220
I think you're right. The cardboard may suck up moisture from the epoxy and warp and/or deteriorate a bit. Definitely would need a coat of puzzle glue to protect it first.

Leaning toward glass, but I don't really have the machinery to create the precise holding walls needed like pic related. There's no way I'm just going to find the right size at a store. Is there a solution here?
>>
>>942350
find someone with a table saw and you can do it

try looking through the finished wood/ millwork section of your hardware store- door/ window/ ceiling/ wall molding would be easiest. you wont need much. some molding comes with a lip built in so it can connect to other pieces of molding
>>
>>941966
Acrylic is also expensive as butt.
>>
>>942588
Assuming it's your mom's butt, then it's only like $10 ($0.50 a pound)
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.