[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Door mauled by dog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: WoodJob.jpg (30 KB, 442x589) Image search: [Google]
WoodJob.jpg
30 KB, 442x589
One of my friend got that nasty surprise coming home one night.

I suppose getting a new door would be the most cost-effective solution, but I don't know much about wood repairs.

Any input ?
>>
File: 1398724265511.png (136 KB, 386x230) Image search: [Google]
1398724265511.png
136 KB, 386x230
>>940869

>Buy door
>Install door
>Put the dog down
>Crack a brew
>>
The fuck, are you sure it's a dog and not a T-rex? Also, no way are you repairing that.
>>
>>940872
This.

Door is fucked. Not even worth considering fixing it.

Dog is going to just beet doing it so you will need a metal door and the dog will just scratch it to hell.

Give the god a nice shot of liquid death and move on with your life.
>>
>>940869
While I'm one of the ones who errs far more on the DIY than just go buy one, this is a case of just go buy one...
but I'll add some DIY to it:
Get some sheet metal to cover from around the knob down and screw that shit onto it.

Also, teach your fucking friend how to goddamn train and care for a dog.
>>
I feel like this is the same guy that locks his dog in the bathroom. You should have learned the first time after it destroyed your floor.
>>
>>940874
>i'm going to kill god
>>
>>940963
i kekd

Your dog is probably misbehaving because you mistreat it you fucker, drop him off at the humane society and forever alone
>>
>>940869
>Any input ?
Yes, >pic related

Those hollow core doors can't be repaired for less than you can buy them.

Measure the door panel's width and go into the home store and buy one and a package of shims. (And fuck off with the whole "make your own")

Remove the trim from around the old door with a low profile crow bar. Set the trim aside.

Remove the old door from the casing. And then tear out the casing.

Position new door unit in place with one person inside and one outside. Both with shims, and a tape measure.

Roughly position door and use shims from each side to securely hold the casing in place, centered in the opening. Check for square on each side by measuring corner to corner making sure they all match. Door should open and close without binding. And the gap around the door and casing uniform all around.

One you're happy with everything secure the frame to the cutout with #8 finish nails that go THROUGH the shims. Don't nail where there's no shims.

Go about every 16" or so and the door will be plenty secure. Three across the top. One in each corner and one in the middle, then five or six up the sides making sure the bottom of the casing is secure.

Personally I find it easier to finish in place, but you can do it before or after.

Reinstall trim

Now, the single most important part of the job comes next. Secure the door, sit down, open a beer, and contemplate a job well done.
>>
File: CCI_Mini-Mag_Rounds.jpg (362 KB, 1135x1006) Image search: [Google]
CCI_Mini-Mag_Rounds.jpg
362 KB, 1135x1006
>>941034
>pic related
>>
No, definitely termites.
>>
>>941034
personally, i would pick up some wood and use the frame of the door as a template, then replace the chewed up part with some cheap wood you can get from home depot or where ever the fuck is cheapest.

it may not be the cheapest way to repair it, but would be fun overall and make the door a hell of a lot harder to fuck up then just another hollow door.

hell, may even look nice too.
>>
>>940869
get a solid core door, doge will take days to chew through it
>>
>>941034

A pre hung door is overkill.

They sell hollow cores without hinge preps. He'd do best to go buy one, transfer the hinge locations, router and/or chisel, screw em in, hang, and drill the crossbores for the lockset.

OP you want to measure height, width, and thickness. The cylindrical lockset is 2 3/8" from the edge of the door. You will need a 2 1/8" hole saw for the main crossbore, 7/8" spade bit for the latch. Standard for residential.
>>
>>940869
>repair
There's nothing left to repair.

Get a metal door.
>>
>>942037

>metal door

Do you idiots even consider shit before you post it? A metal door is complete overkill and only addresses the symptom and not the problem.
>>
File: csar.jpg (94 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
csar.jpg
94 KB, 1024x768
>>940869
dude train you dog. Positive & negative reinforcement. Treats for good behavior, loud scary noise for bad behavior.
>>
Buy a german door.
>>
File: IMAG0429.jpg (3 MB, 4208x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0429.jpg
3 MB, 4208x2368
Just went through this with my dog this weekend. Finished the project Saturday night.

Dog destroyed the door and carpet in my room. Replaced the door, and carpet with laminate hardwood. Came out decent I think.

>Adorable little shit aforementioned
>>
>>943571

Don't let your dog destroy your parents shit. That was part of the deal when they agreed to let you get one.
>>
What the shit kind of dog did this?

Did the dog have power tools?
>>
you need another dog to keep him company. i see this shit all the time with lonely dogs
>>
>>941413
This plus a kick plate or series of kick plates.
>>
Maybe rip off the rest of the wood, put on 2x4s, add thin surface wood and paint it? Idk though I'm new here
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.