[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it safe for me to keep an extra battery in my trunk? If it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: Snapchat-3568503824239127392.jpg (655 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3568503824239127392.jpg
655 KB, 1440x2392
Is it safe for me to keep an extra battery in my trunk?

If it's in the trunk is it unsafe to smoke in the passenger compartment? I know my trunk is vented pretty well because I can see the flaps going to the wheel-well
>>
>>940849
Yes provided its in a batt box and strapped down
>>
>>940852
So buy a battery box? Should it be ok in the bin I have it in now if I strap it down in my trunk? If so, should I put wood under it? I was always told to do that if I'm putting a battery on the floor. Maybe it's just a myth
>>
>>940852
What is a battery box for?
>>
>>940856
A bin will work. Make certain it has a lid. A batt box helps contain the water and acid if the battery tips. No wood necessary. If you set a battery on bar concrete it discharges faster. Supposedly.
>>
Those flaps are there just to provide enough venting to keep mold down. They don't cycle air like you'd like to believe.

If that battery is being utilized then you can run into problems with out a proper vent.
>>
>>940864
>If you set a battery on bar concrete it discharges faster
This isnt true. Not modern batteries anyway. Antique batteries were made of hard rubber and the acid could penetrate it slightly causing it to be able to be grounded on concrete.
>>
>>940849
Are you in the cold? Because it might freeze
>>
Why are you storing a battery in your trunk?
>>
If the battery isn't being charged, you don't really have to worry about venting it.
>>
>>940914
This is the only real problem I can think of.

Although, I'd install a small solar trickle charger to make sure it keeps topped up.
>>
>>941122
I don't know where you are, but where I am that wouldn't work for a solid 3 months out of the year
>>
what you spend on a spare batter you could buy a jumpstart box for cheap... you just charge it up every few months to keep it charged and its safer than keeping a big ass car battery in your trunk.

moron.
>>
Keep it in a battery box in case of spillage.

If you are moving your battery to the back of the car or plan to use this one in parallel with your current battery, I would go with an optima.

Less/no venting of hydrogen. If something goes wrong and it does vent, the vent is a little nipple on the side of the batty and it's simple to attach a hose to vent it outside the car. This is how I did my setup.

If you can't find a battery box you like, make one out of fiberglass. Custom fit is best fit.
>>
>>941395

OP wants to keep a spare battery I guess in xase his primary battery dies or whatever. this is as stupid as carrying a full can of gas in your trunk in case you run out of gas
>>
I did this for a year, the first time my main battery died was because it was like -30F.

If it is cold enough to make your main battery which is constantly being topped up by your alternator the -30 slightly flat battery in the trunk is not going to help.

Now it might work if you just are trying to milk the last of the life out of your main battery before permanantly putting your trunk battery into your main slot and top it up once a month or so
>>
>>940849
>Is it safe for me to keep an extra battery in my trunk?
yep, check this out http://www.eternalrollerz.com/techarticles/battery-charging/

>If it's in the trunk is it unsafe to smoke in the passenger compartment?
no, it's not unsafe. explosive hydrogen gas is only released when it's charging. but your trunk sounds pretty drafty.

http://www.eternalrollerz.com/techarticles/battery-charging/
>>
>>941435
>>
>>941437

is this the same as liking your own profile on facebook?
>>
>>941428
I used to do that with a shitty old s10 I had. The gas gauge was busted, and I was too lazy/cheap to fix it, so i'd keep a can of gas in the bed under a uhaul blanket so niggers wouldn't steal it, and empty the can into the tank and refill it when I got gas.
>>
>>941375
>moron.
Go back to /b/ if you're interested in insulting people. It sucks because you actually gave really good advice.

People come here to get help from knowledgeable people about things they might not understand fully.
>>
if you are a terrorrist, it is not, but if you are in a hurry, save your prayers
>>
>>940870
Some cars (BMWs & others) have the battery mounted in the trunk and the vents arent any bigger than that.
>>
>>941900
They use the battery vent tube and vent it directly outside.
>>
>>940912
I thought it was that they had metal cases covered in rubber, and putting it on concrete wore away the rubber until the metal grounded on the ground.

Never saw one of these though so could be shit

OP just tie it down somehow and make sure it never ever tips over. An acid spill will total your car
>>
>>941918
>An acid spill will total your car
soda bicarbonate + water + wet vac - wash, rinse, repeat. Hardly 'totalled'..
>>
It won't release hydrogen gas unless it's under charge. You're fine
>>
>>940859
holding batteries
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.