[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a safe way to discharge a large capacitor if you don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: product_large_38460.jpg (53 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
product_large_38460.jpg
53 KB, 900x675
What is a safe way to discharge a large capacitor if you don't have a multimeter to check it and aren't sure if it's charged? I'm finally taking stuff apart for components so I can begin tinkering.
>>
>>940675
Screwdriver and gloves. Then finger test it all.
>>
>>940675
touch it to a grounded wire
>>
>>940675
~5k resistor
power/sandstone type is better ( for your fingers to hold )

bend terminals to cap distance. hold in middle. contact cap for a few seconds.
>>
Touch the terminals with your tongue like you'd do to test a 9V battery
>>
>>940675
just solder some alligator clips to a 1 meg resistor, and leave that clipped on for 30 seconds.

I dislike just grounding or shorting them, as you can burn leads or stick leads that way. the 1 meg discharge is slow enough to not damage anything
>>
>>940675
connect it to the kitchen tap
>>
>>940675
Insert it into your hole is the quickest way to discharge it, no need to look for stuff, no need to tinker, it is right there
>>
>>940675
Put it into a bowl of water and then dry it
>>
>>940675
Hit it with a harm to allow the dielectric to be bypassed
>>
>>940686
This is the "correct" way. I usually just discharge it by putting the terminals to ground.
>>
>>940675
place the contacts on your neck.
>>
>>940709
"correct"
Depends on the capacitor.
Sometimes you wouldn't put your hand so close because it would jump to you without thinking twice.
I have seen capacitors on transformer with isolated load and supply that build themselves kvs worth of charge in a few minutes. They must be left shorted when working.
Ideally you have a grounding rod made of suitable material and long enough for safe work with a flying earth lead and suitable impedance on a hook or probe at the top.
Directly holding is stupid is how accidents happen
To be blase about method can you know resistor is correctly insulated?
Perhaps if you have kv rated insulation breakdown testing equipment?
>>
>>940675
touch a screw driver across the terminals if its like pic related.
>>
>>940686
>for a few seconds

Might want to let it sit with a resistor or jumper on it for a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor#Dielectric_absorption_.28soakage.29
>>
You could add an LED to the circuit for an indicator. Maybe use a 50k instead of a 1M.
>>
>>940675
Letting it sit unpowered for a few minutes will give most capistors more than enough time to discharge.
>>
>>940681
This. Always.
>>
>>940686
>>940901
This.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.