[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
R8 my college student coffee tables I made for cheap. Took a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_2114.jpg (1 MB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2114.jpg
1 MB, 1200x900
R8 my college student coffee tables I made for cheap. Took a few hours to make them and about $30 a piece in the end.
>>
File: IMG_1663.jpg (1 MB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1663.jpg
1 MB, 1200x900
>>940578
underside for fun??? Not pictured: the screws I put in the back through the legs because I wasn't done yet when I was taking this pic.
>>
pretty slick anon.
i would attach the powerboards on the inside of the leg however, for cleanliness.
>>
>MDF top

Nooooo thank you. Set a glass of ice water down even once without a coaster and the top is ruined. That water ring will be highly visible and never come out. I truly appreciate you /diy/ing something and it looks s lot nice than most lumber coffee tables. That said, I probably would have just got a coffee table for free/spent the $30 for a coffee table off Craigslist. Would look more like adult furniture. The effort you put into it is definitely 5/7 (minus the power strip, need to clean that up) but it's very "bachelor pad-ish"
>>
>>940606
Cont.

Of course this is coming from a grumpy 29 year old man who just dropped $600 on a coffee table that the top can rise up on. For a bachelor pad/party house where beer is spilled everywhere and it can be roughed up without anyone caring, it's perfect. Again, better looking than most lumber coffee tables. Wasn't trying to shit on your work considering its function, good job bro.
>>
Actually the top is that resin crap mdf on top of plywood, and so far it's held up to quite a few spills. I'm sure eventually something will get through that resin stuff though. Craigslist was my first thought for actual furniture and probably would've been cheaper but I figured what the hell this will be a fun project.

Also no offense taken, I know it ain't the hottest shit around. I am however surprised that it came out as good as it did considering I walked into Home Depot and bought everything without any sort of planning whatsoever and then just went at it.
>>
>>940578
Looks like my shop bench. Not what I'd choose for furniture, but fucking nice for 30 bucks.

>you even mitered the corners

>>940606
Looks like hardboard. Should hold up for a long time, there's a reason it's used for shop benches. Also easy to pull up and replace when it gets fugly.
>>
Looks neat. Might work well with some sort of spill protection with the plugs, but that could be done by having the plugs inside.

But hey, it works amd it does the job!
>>
any place to put lighters or ash trays?
>>
I approve of this thread.
It is very pleasing to see the abundance of bottle openers.
>>
>>940578
>college
as in limited tools? how did you get everything so straight and neat with limited tools? it's really good OP.
>>
>>940663
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuFb4k8Mh9Q
>>
>>940578
That's pretty neat. Looks like it can stand a good deal of drunken shenanigans. Looks nice despite the cheap materials.

I'd put a roof on the power to protect it from spillage. Also maybe paint the surface so did and drinks don't soak in and smell.
>>
>>940578
Cool. Looks sturdy and not so nice you have to worry about someone ruining it like I do with all my furniture. Some paint would go a long ways with it, lots of cool options there for cheap.

Like everyone else said, the top will absorb liquid. Considering the bottle openers attached to the side this may not be a concern.

Good job.

30 year old here, is /diy/ the oldest board?
>>
>>940781
>30 year old here, is /diy/ the oldest board?
Certainly one of the most mature.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 400x355) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 400x355
>>940781
Yes /diy/ was actually the first board on 4chan. Moot was working on some class assignment and started the website so others could share stuff they were working on, ask questions, etc. and it just kinda caught on. A shitton of people used to post here, you should have seen some of the projects. But some people were spamming so moot was forced to add the anime sideboard due to weaboo pressure and it all went downhill from there. Other boards were then added, etc. and it turned into what it is today. That's a pretty vague summary, but I think they have the details on wiki.
>>
looks like the perfect kind of table for a man cave.
but like >>940663 I’m also curious as to how you got everything fit so nicely, especially the beveled cuts (assuming you did not use any power tools yourself)?
>>
OP here, I'll answer some questions
>>940663
I used a straight edge and clamps with a skill saw and a triangle to cut the 45's
>>940650
No smoking in the house so nope.
>>940626
Thank you, yeah it's hardboard, couldn't remember what it was called but that's what it is. The hardboard is only laid on top with a couple nails around it so I can replace it if I need to.

Thanks guys!
>>
>>940578
Damn OP. Your $30 shitty wood knock around project has some very nice mitering. Worlds better than 90% of the pallet wood autism projects that get posted here.
>>
>>940781
Paint is a great option. Find a gloss or semi gloss from the "I don't like this color" return shelf at Home Depot and go nuts.

I'd throw a sheet of Masonite across the top for slightly better water resistance.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.