[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Woodworking innayard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: tmp_25773-yard9760252215.jpg (780 KB, 2288x1712) Image search: [Google]
tmp_25773-yard9760252215.jpg
780 KB, 2288x1712
What's a good way to do your woodwork on uneven grass? A large temporary platform? is that even a thing?
>>
>>940299
>A large temporary platform? is that even a thing?
Yes, it is called a table
>>
>>940302
No table big enough to fit a tablesaw, router table, jointer, bandsaw, planer, etc
>>
>>940303
build one
>>
>>940299
Lots of saw horses. Re-arrange them to suit your cuts and projects as needed, put plywood across them if a flat surface is needed. It still won't be good for precision wood crafting (eg cabinetry) but it'll be fine for general building shit.
>>
>>940310
That's a great idea, and I'll use that, but I would still like a solid foundation to stand on. My last resort would be to basically build a shed floor where I work.
>>
just convert a room of your house.
>>
Not at any real hobbyist level. If you're using hand power tools yeah sure but otherwise no, not really.

Example, the weight of a jointer would sink and topple probably. Not to mention corrosion.
>>
>>940319
um, diy a lawn roller? but really as long as it is flat/good footing, you can adjust worktable to be level you don't need to be standing level.
>>
>>940328
But I hate sawdust inside
>>
A shed is useful and the best solution. Don't consider a shed a last resort, consider it highly desirable! If you are too OCD to have sawdust in the house, build a shed if you cannot use or do not have a garage. If you want a solid floor you need a room or a shed, end of story.

You can make excellent sawdust collection systems if you choose to work indoors. A large shop vac (put a panty hose leg over the filter for easy cleaning) makes cleanup easy. I would do this in a shed too.

Working outdoors is only practical if you are willing to move all your equipment each time.

You can get a table dead level on grass by using welding stands instead of saw horses. Most non-welders do not know their wonderfulness, but they are highly stable (designed to hold heavy steel pipe/beam/plate) and you can buy folding units if you want an even smaller footprint.

Example:

http://www.zoro.com/sumner-v-head-pipe-stand-24-in-781300/i/G4415512/?gclid=CP7ku9WL3coCFcQlgQod0ewJ1w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have four and want more. Use a digital level and you can adjust the screws precisely.
You can buy stands at your local welding supplier too.

If your work environment sucks you won't make anything.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.