[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want to blast the piss out of some metal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_4156.png (383 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4156.png
383 KB, 640x1136
Ok guys and gals and otherkins and A10 warthogs… I need help.

>have pic related, as well as another 25 gallon air tank, for a total of 55 gallons of air supply.
>want to sand blast like a bastard. A dozen old cast iron radiators, my rusty truck, an old bicycle, etc
>can't find any good sand blasters, and don't know if harbor freight shit can keep up with the volume of stuff I want to blast.

Ideally, I would have an industrial sand blaster and do literally everything in 3 hours. But is it worth doing piece by piece with harbor shit and my current air setup?
>>
File: IMG_4155.png (82 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4155.png
82 KB, 640x1136
Pic related.
>>
You can blast with that compressor but not very fast. 10 CFM would be a minimum and even that is low. You will get a few minutes of blast time with a small gun nozzle, then wait for your tank to fill up, then a few minutes, then wait for compressor to cool, then fill up. That's not a constant duty cycle compressor. They even say 1000h pump life; industrial compressors will go many times that, screw compressors can run contiuously for years.
>>
>>940210
Serious blasting requires serious power. I can afford an industrial blast pot and all the gear plus a compresor to run it,, but that's not worth it when the alternative is easy.

I take my truck and motorcycle frames etc to a local monument company. Monument companies use industrial sandblasters to cut artwork and letters in gravestones. They nearly all do sandblasting because it's good side cash.

You will die of old age trying to do it yourself with babby blasters. All they are good for is small parts. Don't even bother for radiators and large truck parts. I wouldn't use a hobby blaster for those jobs if everything were free.

You can rent an industrial compressor, blast pot and gear and buy blast media from a rental center if you want but I wouldn't do that for those jobs either because you'd have to hurry insanely to get it all done in reasonable time so you don't rent for extra days.

Some things are DIY. I have a lathe, mill, welders, and a shitload of gear. No way would I bother with blasting unless I had very high profitable volumes of work.

Pay the nice man. My last Harley frame and swingarm was fifty bucks. Even if you spend a few hundred to do your listed load that's a LOT less than a serious compressor and blast pot.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.