[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Powering crappy LED lights with GX24 base
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 6
File: 2908_dim.gif (21 KB, 368x91) Image search: [Google]
2908_dim.gif
21 KB, 368x91
I recently got four of these crappy 13w LED lamps for free. I want to power them but I don't have any inverters. They say 85-277V AC so couldn't I just plug them in to some GX24 bases and wire them up to a wall socket adapter? House voltage in the USA is 120V correct, so it should be just fine...I'm checking here first because I don't want to start a fire/electrocute myself etc.

http://www.ledtronics.com/Products/ProductsDetails.aspx?WP=1835

It's the part number LEDG24QU-13W-XWW-001AW

If I can wire it up to house power, which wire goes to which pin? I'll bump the thread with pictures of the internal circuitry when I can figure out how to take it apart without damaging it.
>>
File: IMG_1054.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1054.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Not really impressed so far with the wiring job
>>
Yes, you can wire a gx24 socket with standard 110v. The socket will give you instructions for wiring the socket to mains voltage.

To complete this project safely you'll need

soldering iron w/ solder
heatshrink
lighter
enclosure

and possibly
connectors + crimp

mains electricity shorting out, while looking really awesome like electrical fireworks, can easily start a fire. You don't want to be that asshole.
>>
File: IMG_1055.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1055.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Basically, only two of these pins work, one on either side...is that normal?
>>
File: IMG_1056.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1056.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>940040
Only gx24 sockets on ebay I can find are $10 or more. I was only wanting to spend about a dollar per socket considering how cheap these bulbs are...
>>
File: IMG_1057.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1057.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
I can't seem to take this out any further without damaging the bulb. I wish I could find an adapter that had a male E26 and a female GX24 connector...I can find the opposite everywhere though. I think this is because normally you would need a ballast for the GX24 connector but with the LED lights you don't, someone can correct me if I'm wrong or if anyone can find the adapter I'm looking for
>>
File: 20131206234647.jpg (45 KB, 994x326) Image search: [Google]
20131206234647.jpg
45 KB, 994x326
UPDATE: I actually think I found what I was looking for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-E27-to-G24-Socket-Base-LED-Halogen-CFL-Light-Bulb-Lamp-Adapter-Converter-/140906066046?hash=item20cea7f07e:g:vK4AAMXQIPJRi2Lj

Can anyone confirm that the GX24 and the G24 socket are the same? I think I might just order one and wait the 4 weeks for it to ship and find out since they are pretty cheap.

Based on the picture it should work out fine...
>>
>>940054
I went ahead and ordered the adapters since it appears as though the purpose of the GX24 socket is to make GX24 lights able to plug in to both G24 and GX24 sockets (as GX24 lights are LED and thus do not require an inverter) where if a fluorescent G24 light was plugged into a GX24 socket which definitely didn't have an inverter, the light would blow.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.