[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much electricity would you have to run through something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: electromagnet-nail.gif (6 KB, 213x136) Image search: [Google]
electromagnet-nail.gif
6 KB, 213x136
How much electricity would you have to run through something the size of a nail to support/restrain the weight of a person?
Lets say for electric lock hand cuffs
>>
None, if you nail their hands to a wooden board
>>
File: Jesus-on-the-cross-1.jpg (198 KB, 952x1151) Image search: [Google]
Jesus-on-the-cross-1.jpg
198 KB, 952x1151
>>939733

too soon
>>
>>939732
It's a fucking shitload of current. Think about a 120V solenoid. As beefed up and torque-y as they get, you could still push it in with your hand. You want something that would mechanically latch into place.
>>
>>939732
well work it out
at 100% efficiency you can work out the power a person apples energy * time compared to power in electricity
then work out resistive heating in the coil
simples.
>>
>>939762
So like 16kW?
>>
>>939732
i think most replies are based on suspending the person from the nail via magnetism.

if however OP you intend only to use the coil magnetic to activate a latch or lock echanism a standard PP3 9v battery should be more than enough.

also depends on how mny times you wind the wire
>>
Those election electromagnetic door locks (that they have at banks) use 50 watts or so.
>>
>>939732
I turned a microwave transformer into a 1770+ watt (124VAC rectified to 118VDC with 15amp breaker) electric magnet one time. For the 5 seconds the breaker lasts before tripping it can hold all my weight (210lbs) and there's no way I could break it lose at all without the power turning off. If affected light metal stuff 2 feet away and my old CRT monitor about 5 feet away. It made the house wires warm too, so I stopped playing with it.
>>
>>939878
If this is true that is really badass.
>>
>>939878
what was the gauge of wire, number of turns and core dimensions you used?
>>
No sex toys OP!.

Anyways they sell electromagnetics for holding doors open. Stop by home hardware.

Build some stocks and use the electromagnet to hold the latch shut.
>>
File: PSU_Pipe_Electromagnet 5v30a.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
PSU_Pipe_Electromagnet 5v30a.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>939883
It is true, but not as bad ass as you'd think.

>>939904
Whatever the MOT came with originally with its primary coil. Which is why it wanted to fry everything including itself using rectified mains voltages. Transformers are great to take a part and use as electric magnets for lower power usages. Just remove which ever winding that doesn't suit your needs and the "I" part of the E-I frame.

I took the primary wiring off that MOT and put it on the pipe in this image and used an old PSU from a PC to power it. 5 volts 30 amps was the max that PSU could handle.
>>
>>939732
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRKHCRR9-C4
>>
>>941028
Dang, ya beat me.
>>939732
One other point to consider is that something the size of a nail is going to saturate long before you reach the (insane) amount of current you need to hold your body with that small coil, so it won't be very efficient compared to a larger core.
>>
>>939732
I have a big coil that can hold 500gr with just two CR2302 batteries
>>
>>939732
Remember those superhero threads everyone was making after the Nolan bat-films came out?

You remind me of them.
>>
probably a lot more than a wire that size can handle

look in a physics book. i forget all that shit.
>>
File: magnets-how-do-they-work.gif (1 MB, 260x212) Image search: [Google]
magnets-how-do-they-work.gif
1 MB, 260x212
Obligatory
>>
The magnet should be used to engage or disengage a mechnical locking system, not to provide the restraint itself.

Magnetism is too vulnerable to shear forces for this to be practical.
>>
>>939762
force is not energy
>>
>>943391
You shut your sith mouth. The Force is an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.
>>
>>939848
1.21 jiggerwatts
>>
>>939732
It's more dependent on the coil than the battery. I recall a science project where we were using some magnet like this that had been heavily wound. Couldn't break it under a 9v battery like that.

Fishing magnets hold something like 200 lbs, which is wild overkill for your application, and can be run from 12v DC. It would be impossible to break with hands behind back... Little leverage there.
>>
>>939926
>Anyways they sell electromagnetics for holding doors open.

They sell them for holding doors shut too.

I used to work in a school, one of the "pods" was used to hold kids with disabilities. They needed to be able to keep them from wandering off and to be able to keep the hulk tards from getting out.

Out of curiosity one day, I locked them and had my friend hold the catch release and I put a shoulder into it with a running start and I just got a sore shoulder. I'm about 200 pounds and assuming I was doing about 10mph since it was a short sprint. That means my momentum was probably just shy of 400 kg m/s.

We had to take down the magnets when one of the IT guys got stuck in there until the building was armed and he set off the motion sensor and the police responded.

I looked at the locks and they were rated for 2000lbs and were "prison grade". Made me laugh since they were being used to keep children in. No idea where the number comes from though.
>>
>>943604
Found the lock, or at least one very similar.

http://www.sdcsecurity.com/1561S-1561TJ-Series-Surface-Mount-HiShear-Emlock.htm
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.