[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /diy/ This is my first time posting on this board, I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: vlcsnap-2012-06-30-00h41m07s77.png (141 KB, 544x408) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2012-06-30-00h41m07s77.png
141 KB, 544x408
hey /diy/

This is my first time posting on this board, I was wondering if there's any way I can build my own weightlifting gym in my backyard?

pic unrelated
>>
>>939686
No
>>
>>939686
use google before us. That might help.
>>
>>939686
You are much better off buying a used rack off of craigslist.
Its one of those things that everyone buys, and then it sits around and then you sell for cheap

Youll spend more money and end up with shittier equipment if you diy it.
>>
>>939686
If this is your first time posting, you must've surely noticed the FAQ. Now read it before you post.
>>
>>939686
Yes

First thing you'll need is a platform, solid timber laminated together will probably do. Ply on top, finish with something that isn't slippery, and maybe some impact absorption on the sides too.

Next you need a barbell, a men's Olympic bar is a metal bar that is 2.2m long and weighs 20kg. The outer ends are 50mm in diameter, while the grip section is 28mm in diameter, and 1.31m in length. The bars have grip marks spaced 910mm apart. It must have suitable "whip" (ability to store elastic energy), sleeves which rotate smoothly, as well as capacity to withstand multiple dropped lifts from overhead. You can probably machine this, just have a couple of goes and I'm sure you'll get it.

You'll need bumper plates, in pairs, 10, 15, 20, 25kg x2 minimum, add more 25kg plates as you get better. You can make your own from scratch using solid rubber and an industrial CNC machine. You might have to trial it a few times to get the weight right. You'll also need 2.5kg collars, and fractional plates, again in pairs, 5kg, 2.5kg, 2kg, 1.5kg, 1kg, and 0.5kg.

After that you are all set to start learning how to snatch and clean & jerk.

You'll probably also want squat stands, jerk blocks, and smaller blocks too.
>>
>>939686
>>940156
commonly, people have made their own free weights out of concrete and pipe. This will work with small/light weights, but heavier ones or a longer section for bench pressing I do not recommend, have heard stories of pipes splintering under stress, you need a solid bar for that.
However, I think you could cast plates out of concrete using a section on black pipe for the center, and some spray rubber (tool dip, plasti dip, etc.). They will likely crack if you drop them, however, and need to be replaced.
And of course, absolutely you can make a bench press, focus on the weight rest, it needs to be crazy strong.
similarly, I have heard horror stories of diy squat rack failing catastrophically.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.