[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Move into new apartment >Still smells like the previous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 1452453075810.jpg (13 KB, 526x526) Image search: [Google]
1452453075810.jpg
13 KB, 526x526
>Move into new apartment
>Still smells like the previous tenant who was middle eastern

How can I get rid of the smell? The carpets were already cleaned prior to move in so I don't believe it's the source.

PLEASE HELP THANKS
>>
>>939412
Your own stuff will eventually change the smell, with you learning to ignore it at the same time.

I would get a wax melter and melt some wax. They are actually great, its like a candle that isnt being tainted with flames.
>>
>>939414

like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-plug--night-light-melter/dp/B005CD80AM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1454303123&sr=8-8&keywords=wax+melter
>>
>>939412
If you cook a lot of bacon that will probably help
>>
>>939412
Complain to management
>>
>>939432

But it looks like OP wants it actually fixed.
>>
File: waxd.jpg (78 KB, 497x497) Image search: [Google]
waxd.jpg
78 KB, 497x497
>>939418
I would recommend getting a bigger one that can be moved around. Still very small
You can find them in any department store, lots of grocery stores.

With good wax, youll be surprised at how strong it can be.
>>
>>939444
I should say I prefer the heating plate melters (the top wax plate sits on what looks like a coffee cup warmer) to the light bulb ones (light bulb shines and heats up the wax plate)
>>
>>939444

Thank you kind anon
>>
Have you tried dumping an ozone generator in there for like, a week?
It does wonders for hotels that allow smokers.
>>
>paint walls and ceiling
>clean fan
>change or clean vent covers
>change air filter
>replace carpet
>wipe down literally every surface
>remove all previous rugs, curtains, and fabrics
>unload a can of lysol into the ac air intake everyday ~5 days

that's how you remove the smell. idk how much you can do in apartments but thats how we get the smell of smoke, cat piss, and mold, out of houses we work on. candles, febreeze and air fresheneres will just mask the smell. you need to remove the smell unless you want to wake up feeling like you're next a curry dish everyday. and you can rent a steam cleaner and clean the carpet yourself. i doubt apartment contractors do it right.
>>
>>939412
Febreeze nigga
>>
>>939601
bout half your list isn't feasible for a renter and is way to expensive. op complain to the landlord, see if you can get him to do something about it or maybe give you a rent discount
>>
>>939450
This. I bought a small ozone generator for 25€, Ozoned a few cars with it and works fine. Borrowed it to friends ands relatives and they have successfully killed odours from bathrooms etc. Also it helped getting rid of that awful smell of mice carcasses decomposing.
Ozone is toxic so its important to ventilate rooms after ozoning. You could do one room at a time. Or whole house in a day with a big ass Ozone generator.
>>
>>939761
>maybe give you a rent discount

LOL

Once they get your signature on the lease, they don't care.
>>
Get a salt lamp, it helps to purify the air.
>>
>>939412
Put a teaspoon worth of vanilla extract in a coffeecup and place in the oven at 300 degrees for about an hour or as needed!
>>
>>940713

It has alcohol which is flammable you RETARD
>>
>>941292
teaspoon=insignificant quantity of alcohol if it catches fire. Especially in the oven
>>
>>941292
Everything you put in an oven, apart from the tray, is flammable.
>>
File: 101774_front500[1].jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
101774_front500[1].jpg
49 KB, 500x500
>>940594
>>939434
>these ghetto niggers only rent from slumlords

>>939412
It's good they cleaned the carpet. Sounds like they skipped the walls, though. Air purifiers and and covering it up with scents isn't going to do shit. Oil from eastern cooking spices sticks to all surfaces like cigarette smoke, but worse. It'll stink like a pakistani restaurant for months if you do nothing. You need to treat Middle Eastern tenants like pack-a-day smokers for the damage they're going to do to your properties.

Mention it to the landlord - though it may be faster just to do it yourself. If they can't get in there ASAP let them know you'll be doing so yourself and that you'll be wanting a few bucks credit off your rent that month for materials and labor. Just be reasonable on your rates. If you demand half-a-month they're going to laugh at you.

Sometimes the $20-25 credit for $5 worth of cleaner and an hour of your time is a lot easier than waiting for maintenance, which could take a week or two depending on how many units they manage and how busy they are. "It smells..." is going to get triaged to the very bottom under plumbing and electrical issues.

Wash the walls and cabinets with a TSP-PF and water solution. (It's more forgiving than TSP so less likely to fuck you up. Still wear gloves and eye protection.) Just dampen a sponge and wipe shit off. That should help quite a bit.

A day with a portable ozone generator while you're away should take care of the rest. Shit be science so hard it's basically magic. They're cheap to rent, but any place that manages more than one apartment should already own one. Ask for one first. They can just drop it in the middle of your apartment while you are at work, assuming you have no pets.

If you were stupid enough to rent from a Jew and they refuse to fix it or credit you on the rent you might as well just invent in vaseline and keep your ass lubed. You done goofed.

>former property manager that wasn't a Jew
>>
>>941332

Except thats wrong
>>
cover everything in baking soda and leave for 48 hour, then vacuum.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.