[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making a back panel for a phone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Xperia-Z3-battery-658x360.jpg (48 KB, 658x360) Image search: [Google]
Xperia-Z3-battery-658x360.jpg
48 KB, 658x360
So I own a sony xperias z3 dual, I think they're the best phones around for the money except for one HUGE thing; they have glass back panels that crack easily.

I've had the back replaced twice now and I'm over the glass so I'm wondering if it's possible to recreate a back panel with thin metal using a cad design.

I have two questions.
1. Can this work or is it a stupid idea
2. How can I get the cad design? Will metal laser cutters be able to trace an aftermarket replica of the back perfectly or will I need to beg sony for a design?

Cheers also pic related its the phone
>>
>>939160

Make one. The great thing about cad is if you fuck it up, you can literally change it until its right.
>>
>>939160
>metal back plate
No. The metal will ruin your signal, the antenna is right there on the right side of the battery.
>>
>>939185
What about plastic?
>>
>>939210
Plastic is fine
>>
>>939211
Can it be cut by cad machines in a similar fashion, I mean
>>
You might loose NFC/charging/WIFI/Signal.
Probably why glass designs where so popular back in the day.
As for design, it's a glass rectangle. Do it yourself.
>>
Do Not make it out of plastic unless you put some extremely durable gloss on it (Or matte coat). Plastic scratches too easily, look at the m4 aqua.
Maybe you could do one out of wood. Like very thin plastic with a wood veneer on it. Should be easy because the phone is flat.
Keep in mind that whatever you so you'll lose your waterproofing. Maybe you've lost it already I dunno. Repair guys screwed up waterproofing on my s5
>>
>>939160
If you do decide to do this, get a dbrand skin (most precise) and use it to trace out the back plate
>>
Can't let this thread die.
Op post results later
>>
put the panel in boiling water and that will soften the glue so that you can remove the glass from the old panel. I wouldn't use cad, just find some timber somewhere and trim it to size with a saw and file
>>
Make one out of wood, just to fuck with people.

Actually, that's just given me a totally awesome (awesome= DIY nerdgastic) project idea. Thank you OP.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.