[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello there, diy. So I'm going to buy a gun and there in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: hinge.png (18 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
hinge.png
18 KB, 800x600
Hello there, diy. So I'm going to buy a gun and there in Europe we have to have a safe for storing it. Problem is that the price for a gun safe starts at 200 euros for a simple one, so I want to try to build it myself. I have a MIG welder so I think I could build it by myself for ~50 euros. The requirements for self-built gun safes are:
-everything is made of at least 3mm steel
-lock is hidden behind doors (no padlocks)
-hinges is also hidden to avoid easy access to breaking them
The only problem which I can't solve is hinges. How do I hide them without making a gap between a door and a frame? If I won't leave a gap then the steel of door will lean against a frame and the door won't open.
Is there some kind of special hinges to do the job?
Any other thoughts?
>>
>>938909
kitchen cupboard door hinges
>>
I don't think it would pass the inspection. Too "light duty" I believe.
>>
Check how the commercial safes are made and copy the idea?
>>
File: 2015-05-16 12.01.32.jpg (3 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-16 12.01.32.jpg
3 MB, 4208x3120
>>938909
How about a false wall in your room? Because doing what your monarchic government tells you to do is worse then not being able to defend yourself.

If you get caught, I'll personally let you come to my home in America and enjoy freedom while your country nips at the ties of America trying to extradite you, to no avail over a pathetic, natural born rights infraction.
>>
>>938909
The problem with gun safes, and why they are so expensive, they gotta be on the government approved list, so you probably can't just make one.

Maybe you can meet government requirements check your applicable legal codes and meet or exceed burn time, temperature, and entry specs.

Easiest thing would probably be a giant concrete tvault set in the floor.

Use your fab skills on the hinges, a door assist system, and a cool rack that pops up so you don't need to bend over to get your guns.

Real locks are complicated as fuck use n Arduino or rpi to control the lock. Plumb electrical in for a dehumidifier and the duino. Give it a ups.
>>
File: hinge.png (4 KB, 945x561) Image search: [Google]
hinge.png
4 KB, 945x561
>>938909
offset hinge.
>pic related is the general geometry you'll need.

The portion that connects the door to the hinge center needs to be able to swing around the safe wall edge.
>>
>>939465
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.