[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for resin casting/molding help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
I am looking to do some mold-making at home using silicone for molds and resin for the casting material. I design figures/vinyl toys/custom console shells as a hobby and want to get more serious about it. I have done so successfully with some kits from Hobby Lobby (Gotta love those coupons) but long term it is not a viable option.

I am looking for websites that sell from the US for casting resins. The one that seems the most useful is the EasyFlow 60 casting resin. My only issue is that molding and casting shells for handheld game systems means the plastic has to not be brittle. I tried the local jewelers resin kit and screwing the case together causes the thread areas to shatter or break. From what i read online EasyFlo 60 seems to work for this purpose.

Basically, I need help finding good casting resin that isn't ridiculously expensive and ships from the US, Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
>>
File: resin dogs.png (612 KB, 688x486) Image search: [Google]
resin dogs.png
612 KB, 688x486
Here is an example of what I have already done, just looking for better places to get materials.
>>
>>938793
http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/gcnc/ch4/

Scroll down to "4.1.3. Rigid polyurethanes",

He has some recommendations towards the bottom
>>
haven't done any in a while, but I've used
http://www.brickintheyard.com/
quite a few times in the past
>>
>>938793
Try Smooth-On, like Smooth-Cast 300 or something. About as low of a price for good stuff you'll find, I think.
>>
>>938793
related
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/676733_Fruity_Ghost___DIY_100s_of_ARs_cheaper__faster__gentler_.html
>>
>>939764
This. Smooth-on is pretty commonly used.

You will need a vacuum chamber set up though to out gas the silicone for molds and the resin for casting. You can find some acceptable ones on ebay for like $150
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.