[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ironing beads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
Hey /diy/, i want to start making pixel art with ironing beads. Does anyone have experience with it or have some tips? Which is the best brand? And can i use baking paper instead of this special paper selled by the conpanies which also sell the beads?
>>
>>938599
brand doesn't matter, waxed paper works acceptably well, but don't use parchment. You may want to do something different, break the mold and go hex grid instead of orthagonal.
Are you going to just lightly sinter the beads together re pic or melt them flatter so there are no gaps.
Also, get/make a very large grid for them.
If you're careful with setup and ironing, you may be able to use just a rubber sheet to keep them in place when you iron them.
>>
>>938616
Wow, thanks a lot.
Hex grid sounds pretty interesting, i will try it
I think i won't melt them too deep to preserve the 8-bit look
>>
File: 02938523.jpg (22 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
02938523.jpg
22 KB, 320x320
Bought some to do them with my gf, couldn't get perler so we got hama instead, then tried ebay ones. Brand really doesn't matter, there's a slight difference in shine and texture but you're never going to look that closely at it.

So far we've made pic related, and they've just been sitting in a box since because it's insanely expensive when you do the math (with name brands at least) Still have to look for a good place to get bulk offbrand ones. Another advantage in mixing brands is you get more colours to work with. But as that anon said, get a grid for 5mm beads.
>>
>>938638
nah, still looks 8-bit when melted, just the holes in the center close up and the spaces in the corners close up. so it looks more square.
but the point is you can melt them and make the melted side the back, you can melt them and make the melted side the front (which tends to look so so, as the holes in the center of the beads tend to end up looking inconsistent, as do the spaces in corners), or you can melt it down a lot (usually something like half the bead height) and get something a lot closer to square pixels (although the edges can be a little bit wavy depending on which side fills the corners faster).

>>938929
Huh, quick search on aliexpress and basic math, something on the order of $2 for a 25x25 square piece. Even though your cat is bigger, should still come <$3.
so yeah, not cheap, but considering you only melt when you're happy, not crazy pricey either.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.